EdwinSiu10

Help with a 9 speed gearbox for a 1:8 car

Currently I am attempting to do a 1:8 Honda/acura nsx (2nd gen). Right now I’m stuck at the gearbox part, mainly because the car has a 9 speed gearbox and idk how to do it.
Is there a way to calculate which gear to use/softwares that would help? 

Any suggestions will be appreciated 

Edited by Milan
Changed the title to better reflect the topic

Do you have to have a 9-speed? By the nature of Technic gearboxes, it's usually very difficult to go beyond 8 speeds, and 9 would be a real challenge. If I were building a car and really wanted to have a realistic 9 speeds, I'd probably try using something similar to this old 12-speed design of mine, and then just ignore/block out three of the speeds:

A great tool for calculating gear ratios is Sariel's Gear Calculator app

Good luck!

18 minutes ago, 2GodBDGlory said:

A great tool for calculating gear ratios is Sariel's Gear Calculator app

Yes, I use Sariel’s app all the time for gear calculations 

1 hour ago, 2GodBDGlory said:

Do you have to have a 9-speed? By the nature of Technic gearboxes, it's usually very difficult to go beyond 8 speeds, and 9 would be a real challenge. If I were building a car and really wanted to have a realistic 9 speeds, I'd probably try using something similar to this old 12-speed design of mine, and then just ignore/block out three of the speeds:

I wanted it to be the same as the real car, so yeah I hope to go for 9 speeds. The 12 speed gearbox of yours look great, I’ll check it out and see it it helps. Thanks a lot

1 hour ago, Sentinel said:

Yes, I use Sariel’s app all the time for gear calculations 

Sure! I’ll definitely check it out. 

In this case You could try to combine two 3speed gearboxes. Then You will get 3x3. Challnege will bet switching one of gearboxes baxk to 1st gear, when gear is changed on second. Maybe that won't even be correct way, to have smooth progression of gear ratios.

But how to do that better, I won't be able to help, I'm not good at gearboxes.

Why not spend the effort and space on some interesting features? A 9 speed gearbox feels like turning it up to 11?

27 minutes ago, amorti said:

Why not spend the effort and space on some interesting features? A 9 speed gearbox feels like turning it up to 11?

True, that’s why I ended up scrapping this nsx and start on a civic type r, which could include way more interesting features

Nice! It's always interesting to try FWD cars, so the Type R should be interesting.

57 minutes ago, 2GodBDGlory said:

Nice! It's always interesting to try FWD cars, so the Type R should be interesting.

Yeah! Somehow no type r 1:8 Mocs were made as far as I’m aware. So far I’ve made the front part, took me some time to figure out how to make an axle to connect to the gearbox and one that connects to steering, with both having to be on the same side. 

On 5/23/2023 at 3:46 PM, EdwinSiu10 said:

Yeah! Somehow no type r 1:8 Mocs were made as far as I’m aware. So far I’ve made the front part, took me some time to figure out how to make an axle to connect to the gearbox and one that connects to steering, with both having to be on the same side. 

I actually did make a 1:8 one a few years back, but I'm sure a lot could be improved, so good luck!

2 hours ago, 2GodBDGlory said:

I actually did make a 1:8 one a few years back, but I'm sure a lot could be improved, so good luck!

Wow i did not know there was one made. Very cool details, especially with the limited parts for large cars back then. Love the fuel cap function especially. Is it a sequential gearbox or a manual (H style shifting like the actual car)? I am having troubles on making a smaller manual gearbox haha. Thank you for the support and i look forward on the results myself!

If you have time, check this out, its the WIP and see if you have suggestions.

Thanks!

Mine had a sequential, but if I were to build one again today, it'd probably have a remote-controlled 6-speed manual, using two servo motors to allow for joystick control from a remote (This is a system I've used on my most recent Ford Mustang and Ford F-Series MOCs, and it's very fun to operate!).