Peppermint_M

25 Years of Adventure Contest Rules and Discussion

crateback02png.png.09f865dd7a36d78bfee123da4834c1c6.png

Adventurers. The theme that brought us the man, myth, minifig Johnny Thunder and his fellow explorers and treasure seekers; friend and foe alike, has reached is 25th year. A Silver Jubilee. To celebrate this cornerstone theme of Action and Adventure a major contest has arrived. 

There are three exciting categories to this contest and you can enter all three right up until the closing date on the 18th of August at midnight GMT, members who have joined even minutes ahead of the deadline are welcome to enter.

Category A - Great Adventure: Build an adventure on a maximum 48x48 footprint. This can be an epic rebuild of an old set, a new location in a past adventure or a whole new challenge for Johnny Thunder and friends. Treasures, rivals, monsters and ruins; even after 25 years, the Adventurers are ready! While original figures or the obvious callback minifigs from more recent themes are not necessary, the figures at least have to be recognisable as Johnny Thunder and co. The prize up for Grabs is 150 Euro to spend on LEGO sets on the LEGO online shop.

Category B - From the office of...: On a maximum footprint of 32x32 create the home work environment of the classic Johnny Thunder characters. From Doctor Charles Lightning's study to the Library at Sinister Mansion, everyone has a space to prepare for future adventure. As with the main category, the figures have to be recognisable as the Adventurer characters as best as possible. The prize up for Grabs is 100 Euro to spend on LEGO sets on the LEGO online shop.

Category C - Ride to Adventure: Some form of vehicle for an adventurer. From All terrain truck to Dog Sled, an adventurer has to get to their goal. This one allows for Digital Entries and figures that don't have to be Adventurer theme characters. The prize up for Grabs is 50 Euro to spend on LEGO sets on the LEGO online shop

Rules -

No clone brands but custom figure parts/prints are acceptable.

Digital entries are only accepted for the Ride to Adventure category.

This must be a new MOC or otherwise significantly different to previously posted builds- For example, a nice statue build already shared can form an element of the new MOC, likewise a desk/bookshelf design. As long as it is not the main or largest part of the contest entry, recycling is allowed within reason. 

If a vehicle is present as part of the larger categories, it cannot be entered into the Ride to Adventure category.

The Great Adventure and From the Office of builds do not have to be assembled onto a baseplate, but must demonstrably be within the stipulated footprint. A scale shot has to be included extra to the entry photos that shows the footprint (ruler, plates, outline. Anything that can be used to prove the MOC sits within the required footprint for the category).

Reasonable overhang is limited to incidental points no more than 4 studs over the boundary. A tree branch, flagpole or other small features.

Hight limit can be defined if it must, but for now it simply has to be a stable build that does not topple.

Entries are to be posted in their own thread with up to three photos to showcase the MOC, not inclusive of the scale photo if required. Further photos can be shared in the MOC thread, indicated to be extra to the chosen entry pictures. A link for the thread must then be shared in the respective Category threads in order to be considered for the contest. 

Entries posted until 0:00 on 18/08/2023 will be eligible to enter. 

Any further questions can be asked in this thread and if pertinent will be added below this line. 

Category A Entry Thread

Category B Entry Thread

Category C Entry Thread

Waiting on a parts order but will sure take a crack at going for contest 3.

I assume small terrain is ok alongside vehicle mocs?

2 hours ago, Takanuinuva said:

I assume small terrain is ok alongside vehicle mocs?

It is not required for category C, but is welcome. However it would boost a category A build to a great adventure.

Question about category b

can I include a reference to set 10273, which is a throwback to adventures? I want it to be the setting of my entry to category b

13 hours ago, Lemerbrix said:

Question about category b

can I include a reference to set 10273, which is a throwback to adventures? I want it to be the setting of my entry to category b

Sure you can. Of course presenting the whole set as an entry won't count :wink:

1 hour ago, Peppermint_M said:

Sure you can. Of course presenting the whole set as an entry won't count :wink:

Ok, thanks!

Adventurers! YES! How can I resist this :excited: I'm in the middle of moving to a different country at the moment, but I'll try to make something special for category C. 

I might have to pull out from this

As I have an idea for an LDD build for contest 3. But I don't have rendering skill with LDD. (Unless I can team up with another member for assistance with that.)

29 minutes ago, Takanuinuva said:

I might have to pull out from this as I have an idea for an LDD build for contest 3. But I don't have rendering skill with LDD. (Unless I can team up with another member for assistance with that.)

Just download Bricklink Studio, import your LDD file and hit Render. I’m not an expert like the guys/gals in the Digital LEGO forum, but you can shoot me a PM if you have any questions. 

49 minutes ago, Takanuinuva said:

I might have to pull out from this

As I have an idea for an LDD build for contest 3. But I don't have rendering skill with LDD. (Unless I can team up with another member for assistance with that.)

This is a quick tutorial and covers all the basics :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LutyRWpiLaI&t=113s&ab_channel=PlaywellBricks 
Bricklink Studio download link: https://www.bricklink.com/v3/studio/download.page

Like @Oky said you can build your model in LDD and then you can import the model to Studio and do the render afterwards. It's worth a shot  :wink: :thumbup: Good luck 

Aaaah, Adventurers... this is a great reason for me to come out of my Eurobricks slumber... count me in!

I assume we can enter as many times as we like?

20 hours ago, Oky said:

I assume we can enter as many times as we like?

If you truly want to create multiple builds, go for it.

On 5/20/2023 at 10:58 AM, Peppermint_M said:

From the office of...: On a maximum footprint of 32x32 create the home work environment

Just to be sure - is a building in category B meant to be situated in Europe or North America, so its architecure has this kind of European or North American style? Or can a building in this category also be placed for example in the desert or the jungle so it has some kind of local style?

Like the Carter House in Luxor:

CarterHouseSouthSide.jpg

Edited by The Reader

1 minute ago, The Reader said:

Just to be sure

It can be any kind of style or look, as long as you can place the character there. Rudo in a Dive Bar, Mike in a treehouse, Imhotep in his tomb... You are welcome to create anything you can think of! 

10 minutes ago, Peppermint_M said:

It can be any kind of style or look, as long as you can place the character there. Rudo in a Dive Bar, Mike in a treehouse, Imhotep in his tomb... You are welcome to create anything you can think of! 

Thanks!

I‘m building my entry …

Excellent! I love seeing Adventurer creations. I would have an Adventurer contest every day of the year if I could get away with it :pir-laugh:

I think the Indiana Jones sets rather tread on the toes currently, like the LotR sets caused a castle Hiatus and most SF fans bemoan the lack of a true in house Sci Fi theme due to Star Wars/Marvel. 

However the more recent 90 Years of play set had a mini-build Sphinx, and the Haunted House/Drop tower set was Von Baron manor. Also, visiting the LEGOLand parks in Europe at least, there are still hints of old Johnny Thunder and Co.

Alas, this thread is for discussion on the contest, not the Adventurer theme. 

As long as the build is within the size restrictions, you can create any form you would like to :classic:

Looks like fun! For category 3 digital models, what kind of backgrounds are acceptable?