Joellie YT

[MOC] HMS Aurelian

ahoyy everyone! 

I'm super excited to share my newest Lego sailing ship moc, the HMS Aurelian! it's named after one of my favorite Roman emperors, who makes a special cameo as the figurehead of the ship :)

She consists of 26 cannons. eighteen 12-pounder (official firing lego) cannons, two long nines and six 8-pounders. it features three sets of sails, a decorated stern, and an  interior. There's also a double helm and working capstan ^-^

the best angle !

here's the front angle, the best picture i think! 

the bow and figurehead

a closer look at the stern. you can see the figurehead a little better along with the other golden details, love those new vine pieces :)

a look at the side

this is the side of the ship with all of the cannon ports closed. it's a bit hard to see from this angle, but the walls angle inwards a bit for some extra realism and detail ^^

full broadside

love the look of the full broadside! there are 9 firing cannons on this side :)

the decorated stern

the decorated stern is another angle i love taking pictures of, it's all built with the studs facing downward to make the angling sturdier and easier !

the upper deck !more deck

here's a little look at the upper deck! it features a railing, the ship's bell, the double helm and a few 8-pounder cannons :)

long nines/chasers

the front has a working capstan and 2 long nines/chasers (but they're turned to the side right now :3)

stairs to the lower deck ^-^

here are the stairs heading down onto the lower decks. the ladder can be raised and lowered. also, you can see the clutter on the deck, i really love that look personally so it was nice to include here :)

deck

probably the most dangerous area of the ship, the big hole in the center, it's meant to transport cargo to the holds, but in hindsight i should have probably provided a railing or something. i've lost count of the amount of times the sailor has fallen in haha

big boom

speaking of the lower decks, here's a look at the cannons stationed there, there's also a little storage compartment containing...

cargo hold

...carrots :D

captain's quarters, kinda :3

this is probably the most disappointing area of the ship, the captain's quarters. unfortunately in order to have the full 9-cannon broadside, most room had to be taken up by the cannon stationed there. tips on the interior would be greatly appreciated :D

full overview

here's the final picture, a full overview of the ship! the sails are made with a ticker, off-white cream colored paper ^^

if you'd like to see more of the ship, i have a YouTube video showcasing it further https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fiiYHDy_0U&t=1s

I hope that you've enjoyed the creation! if you have any tips or advice on what i could do better i'd love to hear it! thanks in advance ^-^

~ Joellie YT

2 minutes ago, berninhr said:

A lovely build! I especially like the details on the deck and inside the ship.

thanks so much, glad you like it, so nice to finally be part of this community :D

49 minutes ago, Joellie YT said:

thanks so much, glad you like it, so nice to finally be part of this community :D

Well this certainly a very good first post! And it might be personal taste but I would tempted be to put the guns at slightly different heights to mimic a curve.

53 minutes ago, berninhr said:

Well this certainly a very good first post! And it might be personal taste but I would tempted be to put the guns at slightly different heights to mimic a curve.

ah thank you! that sounds like a good idea, i might do that in the future! i checked your profile out by the way and my word, your ships look amazing :D

A very nice ship with many interesting details. I like the upper deck and the sails. The ship looks great with the minifigures. My only criticism on the lower deck is the height of the cannons or the low ground on which they stand.

8 hours ago, NOD said:

A very nice ship with many interesting details. I like the upper deck and the sails. The ship looks great with the minifigures. My only criticism on the lower deck is the height of the cannons or the low ground on which they stand.

thank you, im glad you like it ^-^ i lowered the deck a bit to fit figures inside of it, but i think you're right in saying it looks a little off, might change it back! thank you for the advice :)

On 5/19/2023 at 7:50 PM, Joellie YT said:

full overview

here's the final picture, a full overview of the ship! the sails are made with a ticker, off-white cream colored paper ^^

Good to see you go everything sorted out! :pir-huzzah2:

Now to get a blog post happening...

She consists of 26 cannons. eighteen 12-pounder (official firing lego) cannons, two long nines and six 8-pounders. it features three sets of sails, a decorated stern, and an  interior. There's also a double helm and working capstan ^-^

So how many pieces and how long did it take you to build?

1 hour ago, Mister Phes said:

Good to see you go everything sorted out! :pir-huzzah2:

Now to get a blog post happening...

So how many pieces and how long did it take you to build?

thank you phes :D 

there are around 2000 pieces used for the build i believe. the quite rough digital build took about a week to make and the refining proces/physical build about 3 weeks (including the wait for bricklink parts) ^^ if you have more questions please let me know !

21 minutes ago, Joellie YT said:

the quite rough digital build took about a week to make and the refining proces/physical build about 3 weeks (including the wait for bricklink parts)

Digital build?  You mean there's Work In Progress renders too? :pir-stareyes:

38 minutes ago, Mister Phes said:

Digital build?  You mean there's Work In Progress renders too? :pir-stareyes:

ayeee, there's more than just renders though! i'll post the most interesting WIP pictures :D i'll post them in chronological order

colors - 1

i started off with this, i call them pallets. they're essentially a little mockup of colors and bricks i'm planning on using for the ship. as shown on the picture, i had 4 designs i was quite fond of. after asking around most people seemed to prefer the last ''tan'' option, so i went with that :D

White ship 3White ship 2

i then went over to stud.io, where i transformed the mockup into a digital vessel. it was my first attempt at building digitally, but probably also my last. i prefer building with physical pieces ^^ i didn't bother making an interior, deck and masts/yard arms, i thought it best to do that irl so i could take things like weight and gravity into account :)

IMG_3116

first day of building got quite a lot of progress done :D

IMG_3121

a little look at the deck construction. it was a little finicky, but ended up working out in the long run !

IMG_3157

and then here she was, almost finished :D

i hope this gives you a pretty detailed look at the build process phes! thanks for making the blog post, i really appreciate it ^-^

16 hours ago, Joellie YT said:

i hope this gives you a pretty detailed look at the build process phes! thanks for making the blog post, i really appreciate it ^-^

Thank you for sharing this supporting material! :pir-thumb:  It gives our blog posts extra depth that you don't find on other LEGO blogs.

I'm super excited to share my newest Lego sailing ship moc, the HMS Aurelian! it's named after one of my favorite Roman emperors, who makes a special cameo as the figurehead of the ship :)

Be that emperor Marcus Aurelius, the great stoic philosopher? 

5 hours ago, Mister Phes said:

Thank you for sharing this supporting material! :pir-thumb:  It gives our blog posts extra depth that you don't find on other LEGO blogs.

Be that emperor Marcus Aurelius, the great stoic philosopher? 

it's a different guy, Lucius Domitius Aurelianus. He was the Roman Emperor during the crisis of the third century, a time where the entire empire was on the brink of collapse, but he managed to fix the problems again :D 

I'm super excited to share my newest Lego sailing ship moc

Aye, it's very exciting!

Your newest MOC?  Meaning you have older MOCs somewhere?

I visited your Flickr but could only find images of the HMS Aurelian - do you have other MOC images hosted somewhere else?

9 minutes ago, Mister Phes said:

Aye, it's very exciting!

Your newest MOC?  Meaning you have older MOCs somewhere?

I visited your Flickr but could only find images of the HMS Aurelian - do you have other MOC images hosted somewhere else?

i only just made my flickr a few days ago, but my YouTube channel is where you can find quite a few of them! i still have a lot of things i gotta make videos on though, including a few ships haha! 

Hey! I told you that your MOC belonged here! :pir-huzzah2: Thanks for all those details that weren't in your reddit post and make it even more interesting!

22 hours ago, CaptainMoore said:

Hey! I told you that your MOC belonged here! :pir-huzzah2: Thanks for all those details that weren't in your reddit post and make it even more interesting!

awesomee, glad you found the post! thanks a lot again, glad to hear you like the post :)

On 5/24/2023 at 6:13 PM, CaptainMoore said:

Reddit post?  There's a Reddit post?

4 hours ago, elfprince13 said:

What are the barrels for the brick built cannons? Technic pin joiners?

it's lego part 62462, i think they're called technic pin connecters :) 

6 hours ago, Joellie YT said:

it's lego part 62462, i think they're called technic pin connecters :) 

okay yep, that's the one I thought it was. just put me off slightly seeing how large it is next to those plates!

7 hours ago, elfprince13 said:

okay yep, that's the one I thought it was. just put me off slightly seeing how large it is next to those plates!

fair enough! the perspective looks a little off indeed haha, they're two of those pieces connected together by the way, so that might be the reason why it's looking a little large ^^ 

1 hour ago, CaptainMoore said:

Yes, it's here :pir-classic:

Thank ye for sharing!

16 hours ago, Joellie YT said:

its design is based off of a fifth rate frigate :)

Any fifth rate frigate in particular?

1 hour ago, Mister Phes said:

Any fifth rate frigate in particular?

not a specific one, no, just my own design ^^ sorry for the late reply !