Sign in to follow this  
KirTech LAB

8436 Truck: Review, Motorization and a bonus video

Hi! Today I’d like to show you my experiments with a Technic set 8436 from 2004. The truck has no complex mechanisms but the set has its glory due to a number of different pneumatic rigs. Another interesting feature – the model has an even width like the sets from 90th, but it is built out of modern Technic beams that have an odd length. And I really like the look of the truck. You can take a closer look at this rarity set, here is my detailed review:

Since the truck is pretty simple, I decided to motorized it and I did it in two different ways. The first model contains five CADA micro-motors and as a result – some interesting extra functions like independently working fake engine and tiltable cabin.

The second version has only two functions and three motors: Power Functions servo-motor for steering and two BuWizz buggy-motors for rear-wheel drive (slow output).

And as a promised bonus – a detailed review of the CADA micro-motor. I’ve been waiting something like this since the appearance of the Power Functions system, but unfortunately 9V micro-motors from 90th hadn’t got a substitution in the new system.

Thanks for watching :)

Thanks, I've always felt this was a rather dull set though. I really like the tiny CADA motors! 

Thanks for testing the motorization with those small Cada motors, that's really interesting to see that it has reasonable speed with just 2 of those. I guess the third motor could also be connected into the drive instead if the fake engine, have you tried how much power it has that way? Anyway, for smaller models than this one, it will be really useful. I guess I'll just have to buy a few more, I only have 2 for now..

On 5/16/2023 at 11:05 AM, gyenesvi said:

I guess the third motor could also be connected into the drive instead if the fake engine, have you tried how much power it has that way?

I didn't try it. I suppose the speed wouldn't change significantly. It seems these motors have a decent reducer and the force needed to drive the model on a flat surface isn't too big, so probably in my model a rotation speed of motors is about the maximum.