Sign in to follow this  
JoKo

[MOC] DeltaWing inspired Bugatti (42151 alternate build)

Hi !

That's my second B-model for the Bugatti Bolide

The DeltaWing was an experimental race car from 2011. It was triangular shape with very narrows front wheels, very close together. The idea was to race against endurance prototypes with a car having half the weight, half the drag, half the power and half the fuel.

My model is mostly inspired by the latest closed cockpit version, as if Bugatti tried the same concept.

Engine is weird, could not make a W8 as half a W16. So I ended with a V6 with a 2 cylinders row added vertically in the middle. Kinda half-radial 8 cylinders

The steering was a challenge obviously because of narrow front but also because of the lack of straight gears. I had to improvise a lever-linked mechanism to bring the steering from bottom level to steering wheel level. The lack of friction-less pins doesn't help

The body has the signature triangle shape with a cosy cockpit and a massive rear diffuser ( the real car had no wing, under-body downforce only)

I'm happy with the way it looks and the global sturdiness. However the playability is bad: no HOG steering, huge steering radius (no diff does'n help), close to no ground clearance.

y4m-8r31o3swg_T22Uq52lun0FkSTrdxbSGNAe7L

y4mpoMdOwTaIs-W5NYddXiPB4IUEip9gJoeFZWCO

y4m3wtcE_bfPgeTRUaQxiSctgdy0wTqjX4rTiXPH

y4mP5NvLdBuVCIuKj2iCFmJH7bVGWUkYlh3fN5VW

y4mcRutjKhrNV5jf57EY6VQfNyGYUyhD0Jw5Sd2x

y4mXEGDTxTgKfyZbzX--xtTwXOfLYadKyqsqfgwl

y4mGTZhaKKKeuHSHd9Pnjkadw5v2M0OPigbedNyY

Great and unique alternative model. Really like the use of the parts for creating the smooth bodywork.

Another example, how those new panels really help to make better body shapes. (There was that sidecar racer already).

This really shows how many good parts are on this set. I think I'm going to have to get it.......

Thanks everybody!

On 5/15/2023 at 6:07 AM, Jurss said:

Another example, how those new panels really help to make better body shapes. (There was that sidecar racer already). 

Yeah I did this one too. And I've seen a pretty F1 and a LMP car also. At this scale they are perfect.

4 hours ago, Thirdwigg said:

Very creative build. I like the open(ish) cockpit design.

At first I meant the flex axle to figure some kind of windshield but seeing this as an open cockpit with big air scoop and halo-like protection makes more sense.

1 hour ago, 2ndgen said:

This really shows how many good parts are on this set. I think I'm going to have to get it.......

Yeah... the sidecar and the deltawing are not made with the same set... already bought 2.

I fixed the engine giving it a full 3 cylinders middle row. I learnt that this configuration was used in airplane engines like the Napier Lion (1917). It was called broad arrow because of the shape like a downward arrow. Same engine was used for race cars and landspeed records. 

I also filled some panel gaps at the front.

y4mhC2voU1ya5GDSjWIO5fl8UOFzDhuApvKtsq3B

y4mMjQbxtV0_FVZP8JIGReqs9nRIaOxW4zonxBCg

And look at this! There is even a video!

Sorry, the black on black mechanism is invisible. I swear it was visible before Youtube compression...