Sign in to follow this  
Feuer Zug

Autorack - American style (8-wide)

American railroads use a fully enclosed autorack for transporting cars. I've built a pair in that style. They are 8-wide due to the nature of the construction. The entire chassis is custom built for these. Since my layout is based on R40 curves, they do traverse them easily. The bogies are roller bearing equipped.

52891804631_886d3c008e_c.jpg

52891804636_eb16142dd4_c.jpg

These autoracks are functional as well. The interior supports for the vehicles also assists in keeping the structure together.

52891971649_bea18e662a_c.jpg

First impression: hmm, closed wagon, what is there especially....

Then the picture with the cars: aaaahhhhhh! But too bad that you see nothing of the secret for now. But that is due to the prototype.

Nice idea and well built.

Thomas

On 5/13/2023 at 3:51 AM, Ts__ said:

First impression: hmm, closed wagon, what is there especially....

Then the picture with the cars: aaaahhhhhh! But too bad that you see nothing of the secret for now. But that is due to the prototype.

Nice idea and well built.

Thomas

Thank you. Where possible, I prefer to have my rolling stock functional. In this instance, the end doors open and the separate levels in the autorack provide structural support. These match up well with the loading ramp I built for my Deutsche Bahn DDm 915 Autotransportwagens. I do agree that American autoracks are rather boring after a while, excepting the graffiti.

Great autorack wagon! Reminds me of some auto trains from the USA(before were bought by Amtrack if I am right) (passenger train with matching autoracks for people travelling from the north to coast/Florida with their`s cars)
Great model! Hope to see more! 

On 5/22/2023 at 3:51 AM, Darkkostas25 said:

Great autorack wagon! Reminds me of some auto trains from the USA(before were bought by Amtrack if I am right) (passenger train with matching autoracks for people travelling from the north to coast/Florida with their`s cars)
Great model! Hope to see more! 

Thanks. I had to look up the American auto trains. It seems AMTRAK still runs it, and they use autoracks similar to the ones I built. They probably bought them from the same place the car shippers do.