Sign in to follow this  
Fraunces

[SR - FB] The Cocovian Job: Part 4

Ahoy!

Previously:
Part 1 - by the up and coming Sea Rat of the Year (the title is still contested as the trials are soon discussed by the most honorable Sea Rat of the Year committee)

Part 2 -

& Part 3 - by the most interesting doctor ever to sail the Brick Seas

Sea Rats do love a dress up party! George from part 1 of this series knew it, but the redcoats we are about to encounter now, did not! We are on the island of Cocovia, in the old part of Quinsville, a safe haven for Corries. On that island, the war was far away; the Terraversa troubles concluded to a rather successful ending and fresh settlers were arriving for the goldrush. All was well! Although, the garrison was growing thin and the remaining forces where sleepy. Little has happened over the course of the last weeks. This feeling of quiet joy and peace made the leadership of the settlement organize a party; after all; they needed to keep the spirits up, show some style and have fun. They hired a creative bunch of musicians on the docks asking for a chance to prove their worth as artists. The words went out and that Saturday evening some rich aristocrats came to the gathering, as well as the foreman of the gold mine! Fortunately for our Sea Rat heroes, the Fraunces Brothers, the rum was all drank at the moment they happened to arrive in their loaned partysuits with some premium FTA quality bottles:

7D521263-A650-48E2-A637-566ED6F972FC

Redcoat foreman: Who are these gentlemen? Did you invite them?

Redcoat officer: I most certainly did not, although they seem to be carrying the one thing we are short of! It will come in handy in my avances to Lady Dundleby in the red dress! She is surely not likely to find an interest in me if she finds out we did not even manage to invest in some extra bottles.. Next to our prospects of new wealth from the mine, she will think we are parsimonious!

Lothario Fraunces: My good sirs! What a lovely ambiance! You imperia… uh.. important Gentlemen do have style! We represent the new Royal Society of Hospitality and Celebrations Instituted by Her Royal Highness for all subjects east of Terraversa with a message of good favors, as you are on the right track here in Quinsville!

Redcoat officer: Ahhh most welcome you are! Finally, a token of appreciations of our hard labor.

Lothario Fraunces: And what is more, my most honorable friend, tomorrow we will have the honor of awarding Quisville a special title, I cannot say must tonight, as it is meant to be a surprise, but you Quinsvillians are the first to ever be awarded by such a glorious token of affection! Her Majesty herself approved and scripted the whole ceremony! 

Redcoat Foreman: Unbelievable…

Redcoat officer: What do you mean unbelievable my dear colleague? We were waiting for some sign of the Crown for weeks! Come, let’s fill up our glasses with this splendid and timely gift of the new most honorable Society! Let’s just hope Lady Dundleby likes rum as much as we do!

C12253C4-2A5E-4098-ADB3-F3CE04FB157B

Everyone, except the keykeeper of the mine storages, drank the rum eagerly, as if they never tasted real rum. We have to keep the well-known fact in mind that the Corries build big factories and plantages but never seem to manage to reach the Sea Rat standards of Rum [and most certainly not in the game of Grogbrewing]. But back to the garden party at hand; as most of the imperials grew very weary and fell asleep instantly, the keykeeper quickly noticed the rum had been tampered with. The three newly arrived members of the Society he had never heard from before must be imposters! He managed to get his blade the same time Lothario Fraunces did. He was prepared to die before surrendering the key! He knew this key was worth a ton of doubloons. 

9C6CD360-4ED8-40C9-8A59-08EE55CE97B2

The Foreman new he was outnumbered. What was he to do? From the corner of his eye, he saw that the band which was hired for the party also seemed to be hiding all kinds of guns and swords! How could they have been so careless! At the moment he was about to accept his fate, a bottle rushed through the air; hitting his head. The courages man fell peacefully in the chest of flowers. Luckily, he will wake up soon. Unfortunately, the key to the warehouse, and the Royal Society of Hospitality and Celebrations will never be seen again!

Spoiler

As Corrington officials will never admit what happened, we can neither confirm or deny this story!  

Spoiler

Another angle of the garden party: inspired by the good old Sid Meiers, Pirates! When you have to fight the fiancee of the governors daughter behind the estate :pir-grin:.

8B7345D9-108D-4BB0-A8DB-1A5A2E8EE584

Sid Meier's Pirates! :pir-wub: 

This is a very beautiful park with fountains and flowering trees. Cheerful music is played here and everyone has enough to drink.

What is in the warehouse, and the Royal Society of Hospitality and Celebrations? I hope it's not just bagpipes.

Firstly, a great and very colourful build. I have been enjoying the story so far - it's very Sea-Ratty! and the accompanying builds have all been great. 

However; speaking as a Corrie leader, I have to caution you guys about the way you are portraying our settlement/faction. I am not sure what (if any) overall goals you have here. If the rats are just telling a fun story, then that's fine - we can always just claim you are making it up and deny that any such events ever happened. You can counter claim that it's all totally true - No harm all good and we are all happy and the game is better for some great story telling!

If however, as I suspect; you have some EGS related goal here to actually steal something, then your story is not always conforming to the established lore around Cocovia and we as the affected faction have not been given the opportunity to formally respond via builds before an impartial game master makes a decision. Let me give some examples:

The story so far has portrayed our troops on Cocovia as ill-disciplined and ineffective. That doesn't really match anything established in the past, if anything it totally contradicts it. Quinnsville for example has a large fort and 270 additional troops. These troops have been added to fairly recently, so they haven't stagnated. Their have been numerous builds in the area showing our troops drilling and training (even a few years ago there was a friendly mock raid on Quinnsville by SR to test the defences). All established lore around our Redcoats points to a highly effective and disciplined force (standfast the WTC!!!). We have a military index and a faction challenge (GoC) task that focuses on our troops... all these things have consistently portrayed effective and disciplined troops. Given recent black flag attacks on Corrie settlements in the region and all this previously established lore, I think it is a mistake to portray our forces the way they have been. Don't get me wrong, corrupt individuals selling uniforms is of course possible - but that, the ineffective patrols and now a drunken party... it's a little too much. Ideally, the rats could have shown an attempt to sneak past our patrols, we then show a patrol scene and the GM decides the next move based on build/story etc. But importantly we have to be given a right of reply. This is how aMRCAs work. Or you show this scene above, but we show another scene where the key was changed out the day before or something and again the GM makes a decision on the next move. 

Sorry, I don't mean to dampen the enthusiasm for this great project - I am genuinely enjoying following it - I just don't want you guys to get too far in and then Corrington has to turn around and shut you down because the aMRCA rules haven't been applied.

12 hours ago, Ayrlego said:

If the rats are just telling a fun story

Its this one, I even forgot the whole aMRCA option.. Just joking around guys! 

12 hours ago, Ayrlego said:

Corrington has to turn around and shut you down

Well well now don't get ahead of yourselves :pir-tongue:

A short gamemaster note.

I agree with Ayrlego's sentiments that one should be careful how one depicts other people's characters and creations. We have seen some boundaries overstepped in the past, so I understand the concern.

That said, this is my take on this:

- it is not unreasonable to have drugged a garden party and targeted the keeper of the key, although this does read a bit like the drunken story as told by the sea rats.

- it is not unreasonable for Corrington to investigate the matter

- more advanced exploits (like the actual heist, for instance) should probably take on the form of 'here is what we attempts to do and how' - to then be adjudicated by a gm.

- Capt Wolf is gm'ing this one, and coordination is being done behind the scenes.

3 hours ago, Captain Braunsfeld said:

Questions:

How does the fight end?

And more important: where did the monkey go that I saw in the first picture?

Your eyes don't device you ... That's no ordinary monkey playing sax lol 

On 5/3/2023 at 10:30 PM, NOD said:

Sid Meier's Pirates! :pir-wub: 

Its a classic!

On 5/3/2023 at 10:30 PM, NOD said:

This is a very beautiful park with fountains and flowering trees. Cheerful music is played here and everyone has enough to drink.

What is in the warehouse, and the Royal Society of Hospitality and Celebrations? I hope it's not just bagpipes.

You get the vibe I wanted to show! The Society is a made up thing by the Rats, to blend in with the orderly guests. The redcoats love a new Society once in a while!

On 5/7/2023 at 8:57 AM, Bregir said:

I agree with Ayrlego's sentiments that one should be careful how one depicts other people's characters and creations. We have seen some boundaries overstepped in the past, so I understand the concern.

We agree also. We will not take this too far. It's something like a cartoon.

- more advanced exploits (like the actual heist, for instance) should probably take on the form of 'here is what we attempts to do and how' - to then be adjudicated by a gm.

- Capt Wolf is gm'ing this one, and coordination is being done behind the scenes.

We confirm,  all is now going in correspondence with Capt Wolf of GM. 

the drunken story as told by the sea rats.

We do love those!

On 5/9/2023 at 9:41 PM, Captain Braunsfeld said:

How does the fight end?

The Corrington elites are very agile swordsman, but below the last picture you can read he was passed out, although, that is what is the Sea Rats want you to believe!

On 5/9/2023 at 9:41 PM, Captain Braunsfeld said:

And more important: where did the monkey go that I saw in the first picture?

On 5/10/2023 at 1:02 AM, Roadmonkeytj said:

Your eyes don't device you ... That's no ordinary monkey playing sax lol 

At this point in time we are not authorized to confirm nor deny any activities regarding potential presence of monkeys on the crime scene. 

5 hours ago, Fraunces said:

At this point in time we are not authorized to confirm nor deny any activities regarding potential presence of monkeys on the crime scene. 

That's wise! :pir-classic: