msk6003

42158 - NASA Mars Rover Perseverance

1682996043.jpg

Wheel is new parts

Has working steering

Edited by msk6003

Be curious to know what functions are there. Looks ok I guess. 

kudos to lego for steering solution.

Turntable geared part in white, also 5x7 frame

It looks cool! Gives me vibes of 42081 Volvo Zeux with the little drone thing. I bet it can fold everything in nicely, like 42097 

Not bad! Only thing is, the wheels seem to bent a bit, even in the promo pics...

There is some kind of AR thing on box. Considering this set don't include pull back motor unlike mustang and porsche, I wonder what will be.

The build looks nice and functional. Steering especially looks promising. I hope it doesn't come with expensive electronics driving the price up, because if not, then I might want this.

Also, nice to see a model in white; the arm seems to have all the necessary movements. Also, I hope there will be a mechanism that stabilizes between the left and right set of wheels through the turntables (I don't mean the steering thing on top).

10 minutes ago, Erik Leppen said:

I don't mean the steering thing on top

That thing is stabilizer. Real perseverance also use it.

Steering using knob wheel which through turntable and maybe actual knob for steering will located on back.

Edited by msk6003

1 hour ago, Jundis said:

Not bad! Only thing is, the wheels seem to bent a bit, even in the promo pics...

Not really much they can do about that without a bulky hub I feel

I'm a fan, looks quite nice

45 minutes ago, msk6003 said:

That thing is stabilizer. Real perseverance also use it.

Ah, my bad. Thanks for explaining. Makes a lot of sense :)

I really like how the wheels will have the pivot point close to the centre. Tried to build something similar before but my design was just too weak to be useful :)

Must have for me! Still hoping that we will get a bigger scale version some day, but I will settle for this at the moment :wub:

2 hours ago, msk6003 said:

There is some kind of AR thing on box. Considering this set don't include pull back motor unlike mustang and porsche, I wonder what will be.

Hasn't this been done before? You can check out the model in AR via the app.

Looks like it's it could be motorized, although the package doesn't show any hints of that. Neither does the price.

It'd be nice if it had a Xerion-like steering mechanism to orient the wheels for regular driving and for turning in place: there might be enough space inside for that.

Just now, AVCampos said:

It'd be nice if it had a Xerion-like steering mechanism to orient the wheels for regular driving and for turning in place: there might be enough space inside for that.

Absolutely! This is something I have been working on/thinking about for my own robot.

32 minutes ago, Jim said:

Hasn't this been done before? You can check out the model in AR via the app.

This was a half-hidden function of the Zetros, where you can see how the differential lock and other internal mechanisms work in the Control+ app. I really hope we get something similar for this set, as an education / demonstrational aspect is the best use of AR for Technic instead of the silly implementation of the pullback racers. 

2 minutes ago, kbalage said:

This was a half-hidden function of the Zetros, where you can see how the differential lock and other internal mechanisms work in the Control+ app. I really hope we get something similar for this set, as an education / demonstrational aspect is the best use of AR for Technic instead of the silly implementation of the pullback racers. 

Ahh, yes indeed. That was the one I was thinking about. 

I can imagine besides the X-ray function that this app creates a kind of 'Mars mission' thing, or something to search for.

great scale love the choice of steering over drive, a case where a lack of realistic function is a good thing gears and shafts over servos. This set would be 10/10 if good price the wheel mounts don't flex too much and the tires are rubber, but I suspect the tires will be plastic due to there limited potential use + realism.

If you where willing to bend the visuals It would not be too hard to give the wheels drive via shafts, but motorisation would lightly be too heavy for the structure as it is now

9 minutes ago, Jockos said:

I can imagine besides the X-ray function that this app creates a kind of 'Mars mission' thing, or something to search for.

Something like the power cell mission in 42140 would be my guess.