AlmightyArjen

Set 10020 Santa Fe originally also in light bluish gray?

Hi all,

I bought a 10020 Santa Fe set through Ebay. It was a good deal but now the package has arrived, I notice that the whole set is in light bluish gray instead of the old light gray (except for two doors at the back of the train (those aren't available in LBG)). Did it also come originally in LBG? All stickers are applied on the LBG parts. I know that around that time there was a transitional period from light gray to light bluish gray. It's also specifically mentioned on Bricklink for the 10027 Engine Shed set with an additional note:

"The early production runs of this set featured Brown, Dark Gray and Light Gray elements but subsequent production runs have contained varying mixtures of Brown / Reddish Brown, Dark Gray / Dark Bluish Gray and Light Gray / Light Bluish Gray elements."

Could this also be the case for my 10020 Santa Fe set or have I been ripped off?

Hi, 

"First of all let me say I'm a big fan" - only knew you from YouTube and think you're one of the best out there and doing amazing work.

I went down the santa fe rabbit hole year or two ago and from what I could find out, people tried to "moc" the santa fe in LBG themselves to get around the ludicrous prices. I've not heard about it coming in LBG originally. 

Maybe some of the forum cracks have more solid or first hand experience (santa fe fell into my dark ages) but I'm afraid you've been ripped off. The doors would be a strong indicator for me and if I recall correctly the 10027 shed didn't have any parts that were unavailable in LBG and therefore would have had to mix the both. Don't beat yourself up, I had a similar case where one of the santa fe cars I bought was glued. Considering the prices of approx. 250€ per car (!) I eventually settled for the loco and three wagons. 

Best

Linus

49 minutes ago, Sunil766 said:

I've not heard about it coming in LBG originally.

Me neither. 10020 was essentially "starting" my train layout - I had one set early on, then all the cars - and some time later (close to retiring) cars and another engine. They came all with old light gray parts. I followed closely what was happening to all the beautiful train sets back then - The "My own Train" series etc. But who knows, maybe others have had other experience!

And so what, you do now have a 10020 Santa Fe with all stickers. That is what counts.

All the best,
Thorsten

2 hours ago, Sunil766 said:

Hi, 

"First of all let me say I'm a big fan" - only knew you from YouTube and think you're one of the best out there and doing amazing work.

I went down the santa fe rabbit hole year or two ago and from what I could find out, people tried to "moc" the santa fe in LBG themselves to get around the ludicrous prices. I've not heard about it coming in LBG originally. 

Maybe some of the forum cracks have more solid or first hand experience (santa fe fell into my dark ages) but I'm afraid you've been ripped off. The doors would be a strong indicator for me and if I recall correctly the 10027 shed didn't have any parts that were unavailable in LBG and therefore would have had to mix the both. Don't beat yourself up, I had a similar case where one of the santa fe cars I bought was glued. Considering the prices of approx. 250€ per car (!) I eventually settled for the loco and three wagons. 

Best

Linus

Thanks for the compliment on my channel! I was already afraid I've been ripped off, but...

1 hour ago, Toastie said:

And so what, you do now have a 10020 Santa Fe with all stickers. That is what counts.

... that is so true indeed! :D

I don't know about 10020.  I came across some LBG pieces in the 10030 Star Destroyer when building it.  They were used on the inside of the structure.  I think 10030 and 10020 were produced during the transistion.

If I remember correctly the circular windows were prints in the original and not decals, so depending on what you have that is a good telltale both for an original set and the decals.

7 hours ago, Andalo_an said:

If I remember correctly the circular windows were prints in the original and not decals, so depending on what you have that is a good telltale both for an original set and the decals.

The circular windows are prints and look original.

6 hours ago, AlmightyArjen said:

The circular windows are prints and look original.

It could be cobbled together from original and newer parts. The doors are old gray, and windows original prints, but the others parts are LBG, so it's probably a custom hodge-podge.

This is one of the very good reasons I don't do Ebay, only Bricklink... it's too easy to get taken advantage of on Ebay.

5 hours ago, Murdoch17 said:

This is one of the very good reasons I don't do Ebay, only Bricklink... it's too easy to get taken advantage of on Ebay.

That is so true. Been there (and still am there, some ancient LEGO stuff is simply not on BL, no chance ;)

But once again: @AlmightyArjen does now have a "Santa Fe" in his hands, and surely on his layout. I am always soooo unsure about that "real thing", "original", "MINT", "Unopened box", "Box with scratches" and so on and so forth "thing". I am on the LEGO lasts forever trip - so there is absolutely no reason for me not using modern parts in modern colors on a vintage model. Actually, I believe it renders these models more LEGO-philosophy-like. And not collection-philosophy-like. :pir-huzzah2:

Watching Arjen's incredible videos on YouTube - I may over interpret them - makes me believe "collection" is in the background, but having fun with the true idea of LEGO, leg godt, is much more in the foreground.

All the best,
Thorsten

I'm almost 100% certain 10020 never was sold in Light bluish gray. So, I think you have bought a replica. Hope you struck a good deal....but the model itself is beautiful nonetheless...

I have multiple copies of the original Santa Fe units bought when they came out, both the early & late versions.  I think 6 of the locos all together?  I have two locos plus a B unit on display (but very dusty, sigh).  And I have all of the passenger cars--enough to build the whole five-car train (also on very dusty display).

Not one came in LBG, every single one was in the old grey color. Of course the ridged blocks had that silvery color that made the train cars so special.

So even though, as Toastie says, you have a Santa Fe unit, it is almost certainly not an original one.  I hope very much you got a good price.  For 6-wide diesels, you don't get a lot better than this, at least from Lego.

Thank you all. The conclusion is I bought a replica. I'll just have to accept it and I'll try to transform it to light gray in (a long) time.

I would ask for a refund. Unless it was stated it was not original/had been altered, the seller has scammed you (maybe unintentionally, but still). 

I've definitely gone the way of asking for partial refunds, it seems fitting since you received a "partial" set. 

It can be very difficult to find information about sets that were sold in LBG and light gray, I've heard it discussed on the Afool podcast here and there.  I would think a highly collectable set like this would be easy to find that information if it was.

Are the parts original LEGO atleast?

Yikes, I checked the prices for the original set thru brickset. And bricklink.

Parts list https://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemInv.asp?S=10020-1

Brickset has the Launch and Exit being 01 Sep 2002 - 31 Jul 2005. Is there any possibility that one of the absolutely last, might have had DBG and LBG?

Edited by Shiva