Sign in to follow this  
showtimeptts

another 6286 Skull's Eye Schooner restoration

Hey guys, i'm new to eurobricks community. Have a lot vintage lego sets from own childhood. It was stored in the cellar for 20 years. I decided to check it's condition and hope very few pieces were lost if any, cause i always took care of my stuff, but who knows how many people had access to this sets during years.

Decided to start from the jewel of my collection - 6286  Skull's Eye Schooner . What a dream it was in that period. 

On the first glance all pieces are in very good/ mint condition without any dents or scratches except white and some grey bricks which come some kind of pink or light brown not yellowish to my surprise. Another problem is sail fabric. It has dirty spots and stored in wrinkled body.

the first thing i did is disassembled all the bricks and left them in warm soapy water. Then i gonna left white and grey bricks in hydrogen peroxide for several days.

Any thought and advices how to restore it in proper way?

your's faithfully, Anton

IMG_8481.jpg

Edited by showtimeptts
editing

59 minutes ago, showtimeptts said:

...the first thing i did is disassembled all the bricks and left them in warm soapy water. Then i gonna left white and grey bricks in hydrogen peroxide for several days...

Greetings, m8, and welcome to our bay! :pir-huzzah2: Dude, before you go for hydrogen peroxide bath I highly recommend you watching this vid & looking through the comments under it:

These sorts of operations could very possibly go both ways if done incorrectly, u know, so my advice would be waiting for some helpful feedbacks here before executing 'em :pir-grin: Just start with giving your bricks a standard wash, no aggressive detergents, only an ordinary liquid soap + soft sponge (I'm used to manually wash every brick under the warm flowing water — it surely takes some time, but it's quite effective). Then give it a time to dry out (put the bricks separately onto a towel, it'll kinda help soaking the moisture) & double check the surface of bricks later about the residual moisture and water stains, if there are any — just get rid of 'em using a dry wipe or sponge (sometimes water stains come off easier if u slightly breathe on them before wiping out). Of course I'd also recommend cleaning the parts from dust & stuff before washing, but that's obvious, I guess :pir-laugh: Not gonna tell you much about cleaning the sails tho, as I've always took an extra care of them & I don't have any set older than a decade to stumble upon the problem, so hopefully there will be some gentlemen to share the experience with you :pir-thumb:

4 minutes ago, F1stzz said:

Greetings, m8, and welcome to our bay! :pir-huzzah2: Dude, before you go for hydrogen peroxide bath I highly recommend you watching this vid & looking through the comments under it:

These sorts of operations could very possibly go both ways if done incorrectly, u know, so my advice would be waiting for some helpful feedbacks here before executing 'em :pir-grin: Just start with giving your bricks a standard wash, no aggressive detergents, only an ordinary liquid soap + soft sponge (I'm used to manually wash every brick under the warm flowing water — it surely takes some time, but it's quite effective). Then give it a time to dry out (put the bricks separately onto a towel, it'll kinda help soaking the moisture) & double check the surface of bricks later about the residual moisture and water stains, if there are any — just get rid of 'em using a dry wipe or sponge (sometimes water stains come off easier if u slightly breathe on them before wiping out). Of course I'd also recommend cleaning the parts from dust & stuff before washing, but that's obvious, I guess :pir-laugh: Not gonna tell you much about cleaning the sails tho, as I've always took an extra care of them & I don't have any set older than a decade to stumble upon the problem, so hopefully there will be some gentlemen to share the experience with you :pir-thumb:

thanks for advice, appreciate!

3 hours ago, showtimeptts said:

Decided to start from the jewel of my collection - 6286  Skull's Eye Schooner . What a dream it was in that period. 

It sure was! :pir-stareyes:

Is this going to be one of those topics in which you provide progress reports as you gradually restore and build your Skulls Eye Schooner?

1 hour ago, Mister Phes said:

It sure was! :pir-stareyes:

Is this going to be one of those topics in which you provide progress reports as you gradually restore and build your Skulls Eye Schooner?

I’ll try. This is my first vintage lego assembly. Didnt expect that i’ll face this issues, cause knew that i left it in mint condition.

12 minutes ago, showtimeptts said:

I’ll try. This is my first vintage lego assembly. Didnt expect that i’ll face this issues, cause knew that i left it in mint condition.

It would be awesome to see you take it from it's current condition to a fully build and restored ship!

And the more updates you share, the more likely people will contribute advice...

any other idea how to fix it? All parts were left on soap water to wash off dirt. Now it is being drying.

IMG-8495.jpgIMG-8492.jpgIMG-8489.jpgIMG-8488.jpgIMG-8487.jpg

Edited by showtimeptts
editing

To my knowledge there is very little you can do to yellowed bricks. Even if you do the hydrogen peroxide treatment, within a few months the white becomes yellow again, unless you're a psychopath who can completely block out UV light from wherever you keep your lego. 

12 hours ago, showtimeptts said:

any other idea how to fix it? All parts were left on soap water to wash off dirt. Now it is being drying.

There are YouTube videos that might provide an answer:

And here some videos from other products with yellowed plastic:

Warm water+oxi clean works amazing on vintage sails.  I did it to my original 6285 a couple years ago.   Let them soak in a dish for a couple hours. (or half a day, depending) 

Edited by steele

Process is going better than i supposed. All yellow tone has gone. Anther good news: found box, manual and even genuine sacks in like new condition.

IMG-8705.jpgcamphoto-758783491.jpgcamphoto-1903590565.jpg

Edited by showtimeptts

On 5/12/2023 at 1:09 PM, showtimeptts said:

Process is going better than i supposed. All yellow tone has gone. Anther good news: found box, manual and even genuine sacks in like new condition.

IMG-8705.jpgcamphoto-758783491.jpgcamphoto-1903590565.jpg

Hi, can you explain how you restored the yellowed pieces? Thanks