evancelt

[MOC] Sir Reginald's Return

"Sir Reginald's Return"

52838844896_0530bff83b_o.jpg

A quick castle build that I'll install at the Colorado Mills LEGO store in May. Wanted to play around with a brick-built arch and incorporating classic printed panels.

A lot of people avoid using big old pre-fab pieces, but I really like them. You've managed to make this looks very LEGO-y while still having lots of detail!

The castle and the landscape look great! In combination with the new construction technology, the printed panels look very good.

That Hennin on that Princess totally reminded me how it's meant virtuously outside a Party, jolly good! Yes, a proof of a Landed Princess being a Lady, thus a Knight's Daughter. Seems virtue gets repugnant with howfar I've accomplished... worth memorizing. Explains the Royalist ethusiasim when shadow boxing purging the "martial art" of it.. Interesting, or I mean well, well, well.

So cool man! Absolutely love it, especially the sand green tile in the roof, be it placed there on purpose or not :tongue: How on earth are there no color differences in the grey tones? Aren't to those printed panels from the "Grey-Age" :laugh:? Or are there newer version in light bluish grey? Or is this just the rendering yet?

7 hours ago, Powder Monkey said:

So cool man! Absolutely love it, especially the sand green tile in the roof, be it placed there on purpose or not :tongue: How on earth are there no color differences in the grey tones? Aren't to those printed panels from the "Grey-Age" :laugh:? Or are there newer version in light bluish grey? Or is this just the rendering yet?

Thanks! Yes, in order to not have splotchy old gray mixed in with newer light bley, I used decals to make the classic grey masonry panels. Brick Monarch Shop sells various colors of them, in this case dark bley rocks for application on light bley panels. Definitely much cheaper (and better looking?) than sourcing the older panels.

The yellow tudor panels (as you can see from the wear!) have been around the block for decades, though :)

32 minutes ago, evancelt said:

Thanks! Yes, in order to not have splotchy old gray mixed in with newer light bley, I used decals to make the classic grey masonry panels. Brick Monarch Shop sells various colors of them, in this case dark bley rocks for application on light bley panels. Definitely much cheaper (and better looking?) than sourcing the older panels.

Alright, thanks for the explanation :classic: I'm kinda amazed, that whole decal thing was completely below my radar - until now. Had to watch some youtube vids to understand how this is done and what possibilities open up... 

43 minutes ago, evancelt said:

The yellow tudor panels (as you can see from the wear!) have been around the block for decades, though :)

Totally understandable, they are so iconic one just has to use them (plus there is no real color problem) :wink:

I really like how you used those large printed panels. A combination of panels can quickly create a too monotone pattern, but here's it actually works great. Since the castle part is not too high, and it is made symetrical around the entrance, the effect of the printed/stickered panels works nice to add some detail. I agree that using original (worn) panels might not work that well because of the difference between light grey and light bluish grey. But using more light grey plates it could work as well. Also the yellow printed panels fit nicely in. Overall it has a vibe of classic castle. Well done.