-DoNe-

[MOC] DB Class 01 Steam locomotive w/ passenger car

Currently working on this German Class 01 Steam Locomotive. I’m going for an all-Lego approach so I’m limited to Legos large Train wheels, which definitely are to small to be completely accurate. However I believe it scales well enough.
It has a powered up! L motor built in to the boiler and the batterybox will be situated in the tender.

Lego DB Class 01 Dampflok

Criticism and thoughts are welcome!

Edited by -DoNe-

Looks great. And yes legos size of the "Big train wheel" is a bummer :( (they are way too small for proper engines with 4-6-2 wheel arrangement) but you got a neat entry for emerald night successor or just its niche

12 hours ago, -DoNe- said:

It has a powered up! L motor built in to the boiler and the batterybox will be situated in the tender.

Very nice build!

As it stands, she will have trouble in curves, correct? Due to the rigid driving gear?

Best,
Thorsten

On 4/18/2023 at 10:46 AM, Darkkostas25 said:

Looks great. And yes legos size of the "Big train wheel" is a bummer :( (they are way too small for proper engines with 4-6-2 wheel arrangement) but you got a neat entry for emerald night successor or just its niche

Thanks! I like the idea of an Emerald Night successor. I might just roll with that. 

On 4/18/2023 at 10:28 PM, Toastie said:

Very nice build!

As it stands, she will have trouble in curves, correct? Due to the rigid driving gear?

Best,
Thorsten

The spacing between the flanged wheels is tested on standard Lego curves and works well. The front boogie is connected with a two-point connection so it have quite a lot of articulation.

Edited by -DoNe-

Finished it today. Batterybox is situated in the tender with the large powered up! motor in the boiler. There is also space for the powered up! lights up front. Im definitely quite satisfied with it despite the slightly to small wheels.

Lego DB Class 01 DampflokLego DB Class 01 DampflokLego DB Class 01 Dampflok

Thoughts are as always welcome!

Looks great! When I create MOCs usually I try to limit myself to rules of "must be LEGO parts" and "must go around official curves" so I understand your pains! With all the detail it's hard to tell the wheels are undersized

59 minutes ago, samsz_3 said:

Looks great! When I create MOCs usually I try to limit myself to rules of "must be LEGO parts" and "must go around official curves" so I understand your pains! With all the detail it's hard to tell the wheels are undersized

Thank you. It really adds another layer of complication. It does give a proper sense of accomplishment when done tho! 

Looks good and I understand your problems with the official Lego parts and the small curve radii. With my first moc I had the same solution: too small wheels, but suitable for R40....

Later I changed that ;-)

Thomass

23 hours ago, Ts__ said:

Looks good and I understand your problems with the official Lego parts and the small curve radii. With my first moc I had the same solution: too small wheels, but suitable for R40....

Later I changed that ;-)

Thomass

Thanks! We'll see what the future holds. Maybe this one day has BBB wheels and custom connecting rods. :look:

5 hours ago, -DoNe- said:

Just finished a passenger car to go with the loco. The idea is to build a display like the one the passenger car and loco stands on in the renders. Once built there will be only one car as thats all the space I will have.

DB passanger car

Modelled after this:

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/roco-44554-ho-1st-class-deutsche-bahn-507662894

Cool wagon and it was intended to use 5 windows like in the original + those bogies with ladders like from Emerald night train? (neat!) 

13 hours ago, Darkkostas25 said:

Cool wagon and it was intended to use 5 windows like in the original + those bogies with ladders like from Emerald night train? (neat!) 

The model I modeled it after have 8 windows originally, however it would be ridiculously long if I would have fitted that many so I made a slight compromise. 
I haven’t had a look at the emerald night coach in some time but that might use ladders on the bogies as well. :) 

Couldn't hold myself. XL drivers and medium driver on the trailing wheels, still working out the new proportions.

Lego DB BR01 updates

Lego DB BR01 updates

Wonderful locomotive....👌🤞

I looked at some pictures, and on those the tender was slightly higher than your design. Also, on those pictures, the top roofline of passenger wagons looks to be slightly lower than the cabin roof of locomotive. On your design it looks as wagon is higher than loco.

Maybe just my observations, but ....I adore the loco itself so I'd try some tweaking/redesigning/lowering the passenger wagon to make the complete "set" look more balanced.

Edited by Selander
Added info

Beautiful designs and I am strongly reminded of my first attempts at Lego trains.
The locomotive and wagon looked good on their own, but together they didn't work at all. The difference in height was even greater for me.

The solution was the middle: build the wagon flatter and the locomotive higher.....

I think you should also try one of these

Thomas

1 hour ago, Selander said:

Wonderful locomotive....👌🤞

I looked at some pictures, and on those the tender was slightly higher than your design. Also, on those pictures, the top roofline of passenger wagons looks to be slightly lower than the cabin roof of locomotive. On your design it looks as wagon is higher than loco.

Maybe just my observations, but ....I adore the loco itself so I'd try some tweaking/redesigning/lowering the passenger wagon to make the complete "set" look more balanced.

Thank you Selander! Yes, the height is the current issue at hand. Making the tender taller will be rather easy. The locomotive itself I think I can raise by 1 plate without compromising the design. As for the passenger wagon it can be lowered by at least 2 plates. Hopefully this balances everything out! 

1 hour ago, Ts__ said:

Beautiful designs and I am strongly reminded of my first attempts at Lego trains.
The locomotive and wagon looked good on their own, but together they didn't work at all. The difference in height was even greater for me.

The solution was the middle: build the wagon flatter and the locomotive higher.....

I think you should also try one of these

Thomas

This is my first time attempting using larger drivers than Legos L-drivers. So I suppose its a bit of a learning curve. :grin: I will definitely try tweaking the heights. Thank you for the input.

Some more details added, most notably in the front section of the locomotive. Biggest change is of course the re-scaling of all three. Mostly happy with how it turned out, although I might need to shorten the passenger wagon a bit.

DB BR01 Dampflok

DB BR01 Dampflok

DB BR01 Dampflok

20 hours ago, Shiva said:

Both look nice!

Question, are they to the same scale?

Thanks!

Yes they are intended to be the same scale. Which is quite telling on how off-scale the L-drivers were for this locomotive.

The height proportions are a nice improvement! I'm not so familiar with the old DB stock, but the length of the coach seems about right to me.

The only thing that jumps out is the top of the cab on the loco. It seems a shame to lose the nice curves of the early version for those angled modified tile pieces, although again I don't know which is the more accurate solution.

Otherwise it's a superb model! Is it buildable in the brick?

Nice improvement, it already looks more harmonious!

Please take another look at the height of the front buffers. They are too high.
I am aware, and this is how I build, that the buffers are generally too low in Lego conversions. The reason for this is that the buffers on long wagons/locomotives are attached to the bogie in the Lego version. In reality, the buffers are attached to the wagon/locomotive frame. In your model, however, the buffers at the front are even higher than in reality. This is probably due to the space problem above the leading axle, but perhaps you can improve this.

https://www.bahnbilder.de/1200/die-dampflokomotive-01-202-befindet-935087.jpg

Thomas

Edited by Ts__

Agree with others....a nice improvement 👏 Much more balance for the complete set 🤗

Down to the finer details now: I'm not convinced about the passenger coach roof...it has a bulky/heavy feel to it ... profile or thickness, I'm not sure.....unfortunately I don't have a constructive suggestion for change....🥴

Ok, the last screenshots look nice! -DoNe- , please, keep the length of the passenger wagon, atleast I think it looks OK, relative to the locomotive length.

22 hours ago, TeddytheSpoon said:

The height proportions are a nice improvement! I'm not so familiar with the old DB stock, but the length of the coach seems about right to me.

The only thing that jumps out is the top of the cab on the loco. It seems a shame to lose the nice curves of the early version for those angled modified tile pieces, although again I don't know which is the more accurate solution.

Otherwise it's a superb model! Is it buildable in the brick?

Thanks! In terms of design the current roof-design is more accurate, however it's not executed all to well. Will take another look at that.

Yes it is! As a matter of fact its in the works as I'm writing this.

21 hours ago, Ts__ said:

Nice improvement, it already looks more harmonious!

Please take another look at the height of the front buffers. They are too high.
I am aware, and this is how I build, that the buffers are generally too low in Lego conversions. The reason for this is that the buffers on long wagons/locomotives are attached to the bogie in the Lego version. In reality, the buffers are attached to the wagon/locomotive frame. In your model, however, the buffers at the front are even higher than in reality. This is probably due to the space problem above the leading axle, but perhaps you can improve this.

https://www.bahnbilder.de/1200/die-dampflokomotive-01-202-befindet-935087.jpg

Thomas

Thanks, I see what you mean. Didn't realize how far up they ended up. Another detail to attend to. :grin:

20 hours ago, Selander said:

Agree with others....a nice improvement 👏 Much more balance for the complete set 🤗

Down to the finer details now: I'm not convinced about the passenger coach roof...it has a bulky/heavy feel to it ... profile or thickness, I'm not sure.....unfortunately I don't have a constructive suggestion for change....🥴

Thank you! Before settling for this design I was considering a snot-built variant using 2x4 curved slopes instead. Perhaps its worth trying that out, just to have something to compare to.

20 hours ago, Shiva said:

Ok, the last screenshots look nice! -DoNe- , please, keep the length of the passenger wagon, atleast I think it looks OK, relative to the locomotive length.

Thanks for the input. I was worried it might look a bit "squished".

10 hours ago, XG BC said:

this is nice, the improvements make them fit together better.

Thank you!

21 hours ago, -DoNe- said:

Thank you! Before settling for this design I was considering a snot-built variant using 2x4 curved slopes instead. Perhaps its worth trying that out, just to have something to compare to.

I was thinking of suggesting this part for the roof at the end of the car

3535.png

But it is a constant radius curve so it would not transition smoothly to anything (easily done) on the rest of the car

In any event, looks great