Sign in to follow this  
ReZourceman

Agents Review 8636 Deep Sea Quest ~ Photo Review

Hey all! So I purchased the remaining three Agents sets I needed, and saw that there was no review up yet for this set!

S4010834.jpg

Heres the first batch of parts, and the first instruction bits.

S4010835.jpg

S4010836.jpg

The mini figures. :thumbup::cry_happy:

S4010837.jpg

S4010838.jpg

The first small vehicles.

S4010841.jpg

Heres a mistake that I found in the instruction booklet. There is no difference between steps 2 and 3.

S4010851.jpg

The team Inferno boat. This is a nice chunky boat, that looks fairly heavy duty and evily.

S4010843.jpg

S4010844.jpg

Its nice to see the smooth disks on the bottom, that LEGO seemingly havnt done in recent boat/plane sets.

S4010842.jpg

And the Agents Submarine!

S4010846.jpg

S4010847.jpg

S4010848.jpg

S4010849.jpg

This is a nice build aswell. Nice and long, with a few hidden compartments. One for missiles.

S4010852.jpg

S4010858.jpg

S4010854.jpg

S4010855.jpg

S4010856.jpg

A place to put the treasure!

S4010857.jpg

Some final shots of the completed set!

S4010860.jpg

S4010859.jpg

S4010861.jpg

S4010862.jpg

S4010863.jpg

S4010865.jpg

The spare bits!

S4010853.jpg

Another special mention has to go out to Slime Face. I think he is my favourite ever LEGO character. The detail on his unique torso is brilliant! His head is fantastic! And his costume just looks great, with the black and green (Plus green is my favourite colour!) :tongue:

S4010866.jpg

Check out the back of his torso, with the slime pouring down!

S4010868.jpg

S4010867.jpg

Deep Sea Quest was £34.99

Price ; 9/10 - This is a pretty reasonable price for a fairly substantial set.

Parts ; 8/10 - A lot of nice bits, few nice boats bits, and a lot of smooth disk things.

Minifigures ; 10/10 As I said Slime Face is my favourite LEGO character, and the details brilliant!

Vehicles ; 8/10 Both very good, with some interesting features.

Build ; 8/10 A pretty fun build.

Overall ; 9/10 Its gotta be, if just for Slime Face alone, but this really is a great set!

S4010869.jpg

I'm not real fond of slimeface. He looks too much like the joker-bombs. I was hoping for something newer. The slime printing is a nice touch though.

Steve

He does look a bit different though...although it hasnt come out well on the photos, there is some green printed slimey bits on his head aswell.

He honestly is amazing.

thanks for review...(i hope svelt corps still reviews it :sceptic: )

slime is pretty cool, i knew about the torse for a while but its no less cool now

thanks for review...(i hope svelt corps still reviews it :sceptic: )

slime is pretty cool, i knew about the torse for a while but its no less cool now

You're so mean :angry: . Isn't one review good enough :hmpf: ? Do you just have to be picky :hmpf_bad: . Nice review, by the way :thumbup: .

Nice review ReZourceman, I wanted to see one of this set. :classic: It seem's there isn't much to it other than what it looks like in the official pictures, but I may well get it. I like Slime Face! :thumbup:

:skull:

Great review, ReZourceman! Your pics really show off the sub well and it's good to see the build in progress. I also have this set but I didn't apply stickers to the sub as I was planning to reuse the nice dark blue pieces. However as shown in your review they do brighten it up a fair bit. I can't say this is my favourite Agents set; the boat is a little oddly proportioned and the sub, although retro looking, has practically no interior and would be difficult to customise to put more in (unlike, say, the clever job Batbrick did with the Penguin sub in his review). The sub kind of looks like some Jules Verneish sea creature - I would have liked it if they'd gone all the way and made it some kind of giant robot jellyfish or squid :tongue:

I do agree with you about Slime Face - he has a fantastic torso with all the slime dripping down which is a bit obscured by the air tank. It's really encouraging that in the last 2 Missions we've had great extra villains added in. The only thing I would add about the octopus is that the glow in the dark plastic is mixed in unevenly with the aqua blue, so it doesn't glow in the dark evenly - it's kind of like the Mars Mission jellies in that respect though much cooler!

Thanks again for the great review!

I would have liked it if they'd gone all the way and made it some kind of giant robot jellyfish or squid :tongue:

*Cough*AlphaTeam*cough* :tongue: anyway I was about to reply earlier and say : Great Review svelte then i realised it was not you :wacko::grin: Nice reveiw anyway! The only reason i would get this set would be if I got all the other Agents sets + all The SW CW sets + all the pieces i need on BL + all the new city ect.. sets....then i would think about geting it :tongue::grin::devil:

:skull:

*Cough*AlphaTeam*cough* :tongue:

I'd forgotten about Ogel's mutant vehicles :tongue: I guess I meant a bigger cross between the 8636 sub and the big squid from 7775 Aquabase Invasion - that is such a great design. Sort of keep the retro feel but make it bigger.

With the 8636 sub, there's really only room for one Agent to sit and despite its size, there's just a few (not amazingly great) functions such as the hidden chest and missiles.

I can't see the pics over the glare from my awesomeness!!

Thanks for the review ReZ!! I'm jealous you got to snag this right away...

Thanks for the review! It's great to see detailed pictures of Slime Face. The set looks good but not as good as some of the others in this line.

Great review! :thumbup:

Nice review, thanks! TLC is really going all-out with the Agents theme. I wonder if it will last longer than one year (unlike other recent one-and-done themes).

My only real criticism of the theme is those freaking stickers. My god, look at the size of that DSS in this set!

Great Review!! Really Thanks :thumbup:

I :wub: Slime Face, Even Slimey as my Slime Sense :tongue:

Nice That Break Jaw is also in it! :classic:

Undersigned MoWo

Great review. :thumbup:

This set totally OWNS Alpha Team Deep Sea. The sub design actually LOOKS like a sub, the figures are way better, the acessories are better - everything is better! :sweet: Agents may have my vote for the best theme of the year. :classic:

I wonder if it will last longer than one year (unlike other recent one-and-done themes).

Oh don't worry - a second wave will be coming next year. This was confirmed by both legomilk and in an interview with an Agents designer. :thumbup:

Aside from the price, I love this set! When I saw the prelim pics of Agetns I did not like the theme, but all the sets are starting to look more attractive now I can see the cool features and details!

As for this set, I really like the bad-guy boat for some reason and the submarine looks good - I love the dark blue colour. :thumbup:

I forgot to comment on this review! Great job ReZourceman, like svelte-corps said your pics really show off the set and what there is to it. I just ordered this and the volcano base off S@h and I can't wait for them to come, so I'll comment on these reviews I forgot about :blush:

I love the Inferno boat, as you say in your review it looks very heavy duty and ready to take on the Agents. The sub I quite like from the look of it, though there is the problem of too little space I will try and correct that. The dark blue is especially good. And I love Slime Face, his torso is very cool.

I can't say this is my favourite Agents set; the boat is a little oddly proportioned and the sub, although retro looking, has practically no interior and would be difficult to customise to put more in (unlike, say, the clever job Batbrick did with the Penguin sub in his review).

Wow, thanks for that little mention :blush:

Is it impossible or just very hard to mod?

I do agree with you about Slime Face - he has a fantastic torso with all the slime dripping down which is a bit obscured by the air tank. It's really encouraging that in the last 2 Missions we've had great extra villains added in. The only thing I would add about the octopus is that the glow in the dark plastic is mixed in unevenly with the aqua blue, so it doesn't glow in the dark evenly - it's kind of like the Mars Mission jellies in that respect though much cooler!

The octopus sounds great, thanks for that, is he meant to be on any side? I'm guessing he's a mutant Inferno creature.

About Slime Face, is his head much different to the Joker bombs? I know he has slime marks on his head, are they very apparent?

Thanks again for the review!

Batbrick Away! :devil:

Is it impossible or just very hard to mod?

Nothing is impossible to mod! :grin: Probably the easiest part to change would be the front where the missiles are and the treasure chest slides out - you could make a sizeable compartment there. However the middle section is so narrow and the end fins are just that - fins - that it might be harder to expand without changing the shape of the sub. You'll find out soon when yours arrives! :wink:

The octopus sounds great, thanks for that, is he meant to be on any side? I'm guessing he's a mutant Inferno creature.

About Slime Face, is his head much different to the Joker bombs? I know he has slime marks on his head, are they very apparent?

It's not really clear but since all the other mutants are evil (or at least controlled by Dr Inferno), it's probably a safe bet the squid is too. Slime Face's head is different to the Joker bombs - different eyes and teeth (although the smile is similar I guess) and the slime marks are much more apparent in the flesh (or ABS) although they don't photograph that way.

Joker bomb face below for contrast:

3626bpb243.jpg

Nothing is impossible to mod! :grin: Probably the easiest part to change would be the front where the missiles are and the treasure chest slides out - you could make a sizeable compartment there. However the middle section is so narrow and the end fins are just that - fins - that it might be harder to expand without changing the shape of the sub. You'll find out soon when yours arrives! :wink:

Thanks for that info, I will definitely try anyway when I get the set, see if I can't loosen up a few dark blue bricks at the same time! :tongue:

It's not really clear but since all the other mutants are evil (or at least controlled by Dr Inferno), it's probably a safe bet the squid is too. Slime Face's head is different to the Joker bombs - different eyes and teeth (although the smile is similar I guess) and the slime marks are much more apparent in the flesh (or ABS) although they don't photograph that way.

Joker bomb face below for contrast:

Ah, thanks for that info, I see that they are more different than I thought now. I hope the slime looks good when I get him!

Batbrick Away! :devil:

Wow, thanks for the review, that is one awesome set,

Slime Face is excellent! I must add him to the collection, I think we need some new agents, there's so many Inferno minifigures now... Maybe next year?

thanks again!

Wow, thanks for the review, that is one awesome set,

I think we need some new agents, there's so many Inferno minifigures now... Maybe next year?

There's only 2 Infernos out of 8 sets which is pretty good. There's way more Agent Chases and Break Jaws. I agree though, next year hopefully we'll have some new figs.

Great looking set.

And that glowy blue octopus is really cute, I might just get it for that. Be great in a Space moc..

Wondering, from the pdf instructions I saw, it wasnt clear what the Agent in the sub is sitting on, hows his seat work? and it looks like theres a compartment below him...

Great review I just thought I'd comment saying thanks because if I had'nt found this review I'd of never made an account on eurobricks! :grin: