Sign in to follow this  
Keymonus

[OL-FB] With the roar of a thunder

Somewhere Southwest Seawatch, El Oleonda, April 623

All the pieces were in position, the chessboard ready. The marching songs, the chants of the native allies, the last nervous jokes...everything was replaced by an unreal silence, as every unit reached its starting position.

Finally, General Hercule François roared: "Unfurl the colours. Remind everyone who the greatest warriors on this battlefield are." And louder, so that everyone could hear him: 
"Men of Oleon!" He roared, his voice carrying back all the way to the artillery. "I know you can gut this cowardly enemy and wipe them from this isle! But now I want you to prove it to me! Pour le Roi!"
The soldiers echoed, with a deafening yell: "Pour le Roi! Pour le Roi! Pour le Roi!"
It was the time. "Monsieurs, send them all you've got!" Said General Tristan Rimbaud, a fierce grin on his face.
In less than a minute, all the artillery pieces assigned to his unit were blazing. The soldiers cheered loudly as, seconds later, the jungle in front of them was shattered by a series of violent explosions. Tristan had specifically required mortars and howitzers, capable of firing on high-arching trajectories... and, even more importantly, capable of firing explosive shells.
"Captain du Motier! Two more salvos, then fire forward!" At this point, Tristan was yelling at the top of his lungs and waving his saber, to overcome the clamor of the battle. "Soldiers, forward! At the double! It is time to destroy our enemies!"

-----------------------

Tristan and his men marched forward, with the shells whistling above their heads, and a hell of explosions in front of them. A grenade fell short, dangerously too short, but none of the soldiers was hit. As planned, the assault group reached the Lotii trenches immediately after the last explosions. If du Motier knew his job, the next salvo would have fallen a few hundred meters behind the first line, just in front of them, to hit and paralyze the Lotii reinforcements. Otherwise, Tristan would have probably had little time to regret his choices.

Second battle of Seawatch

Tristan jumped in the trench, followed by his chasseurs. The walls had collapsed in several points, allowing an easier descent.

The earthworks were scattered with the corpses of several Lotii soldiers, but everyone was more concerned about the ones -alive and armed- who were running towards them.

The barrage had been brief but extremely violent and, now that it had moved forward, it was cutting that position out from orders and reinforcements. The bluecoats stormed the enemy positions before the Lotii could set up an organised defence. The grenadiers, who were following closely the first vanguard, started throwing their weapons across the ditch, where some enemy musketeers were trying to form a defensive line. Other soldiers, with the muskets on their shoulders, were carrying light wooden ladders, useful to quickly climb the trench walls. Tristan didn’t plan to conquer that specific position: instead, his assault column aimed to slice through the enemy lines, to attack the artillery batteries behind them and the closest command point.

The Lotii soldiers were determined and well-armed, but still disorganised. Moreover, Tristan had gathered some of the most elite troops available… including the grenadiers, who were definitely not sparing their weapons.

As the battle was still ongoing, the teams in charge of the light mortars placed their weapons and opened fire. The assault column could have easily been outnumbered, but only if the Lotii could recover from the initial shock, something rather difficult if everything around kept exploding!

Soon the regular infantry, the feared “blue line” would have arrived in their support… or, if everything went by the plans, to collect the wounded and the prisoners. If everything went by the plans… the soldiers had no way to know how things were going in the other areas of the battlefield, if they were rushing to victory or if they were going to be encircled. But, for Hades’ sake, their charge would have been remembered!

Overall view

---------------

Note: as Fort Arltrees couldn’t seem further from the frontline, and the new Gardens of Poseidon are opened, the Second Battle of Seawatch has begun. As news from the frontline have not reached the settlements yet, we still don’t have any idea whether this is a glorious victory, a limited success, or the prelude to a defeat.

Credit to the (impatient :pir_laugh2:) @Ross Fisher for the general’s speech!

I’m sorry for the little technical inconvenience of the half-completed story, for the next time I swear I’ll avoid that! 

Edited by Keymonus

50 minutes ago, Keymonus said:

Otherwise, Tristan would 

fear-and-loathing-in-las-vegas-johnny-de

What happens next! I thought his train of thought got cut short by an explosion!

Seriously though, I'm loving it. Wishing you the luck of the day!

32 minutes ago, Ross Fisher said:

fear-and-loathing-in-las-vegas-johnny-de

What happens next! I thought his train of thought got cut short by an explosion!

Seriously though, I'm loving it. Wishing you the luck of the day!

You are right, and this could be a great way to end one of my secondary characters (just noted). More trivially, I had to change device, and the only way not to lose everything was posting it… I definitely have to find another strategy!

8 hours ago, Keymonus said:

- who were running towards them.

Magnificently constructed defensive fighting position and battle scene. The Oleon and Lotii soldiers are well positioned in the movement. The story is exciting and interestingly told. I'll check back in a few days and read the rest of the story.

7 hours ago, Ross Fisher said:

What happens next!

Funny and appropriate GIF:pir_laugh2:

6 hours ago, Keymonus said:

More trivially, I had to change device, and the only way not to lose everything was posting it… I definitely have to find another strategy!

You can back up data to a USB stick. Unfortunately, they are very difficult to find in stores in Italia because they are not next to the spaghetti. :pir-laugh:

Edited by NOD

11 hours ago, NOD said:

Magnificently constructed defensive fighting position and battle scene.

Thank you a lot! I’m particularly proud of the artillery damage, that in my opinion are quite realistic… provided that Oleon could borrow some WWI era artillery, and of the BIG type! The story, however, is now complete!

11 hours ago, NOD said:

You can back up data to a USB stick.

My mistake was starting to write the story directly in the post, and then not having the time to finish! Even a boring text file would have done the job…:pir-grin:

11 hours ago, NOD said:

spaghetti

Plot twist: we normally stick spaghetti in the USB ports… :pir-laugh:

Wonderful battle scene and a well build trench! There are so many nice details in this scene like the cheval de frise, the firing mortar, soldiers equipped with axe and ladder, the grenadier and the technique used to build the explosion.

There are little things I like more than good minifigure placement, well done! :pir-huzzah2:

You got some great details here, really good story as well.

23 hours ago, Keymonus said:

You are right, and this could be a great way to end one of my secondary characters (just noted).

Don't kill Tristan yet! He's one of my favorite oleon characters

Thank you guys! I was really divided between posting it now or waiting for the battle outcome, then I chose the first option! 

On 4/17/2023 at 9:37 PM, Yperio_Bricks said:

Wonderful battle scene and a well build trench! There are so many nice details in this scene like the cheval de frise, the firing mortar, soldiers equipped with axe and ladder, the grenadier and the technique used to build the explosion.

Thanks! It was a little difficult to balance what could have easily been a WWI MOC (huge explosions, artillery damages, extensive use of hand grenades, the trench fight itself…) with Age of Sails soldiers and weapons! I’m glad you like the result!