dirkberlin

[MOC] Classic Spaceman as Maxifigure

Anyone else was thinking when the Lego House Pirate was released: Cool, but why so exklusive, only thing we got in store were Harry and Hermonie. My second thought: Why no Spaceman. So I tried to refit old harry to it and changed a lot of the color:

20230325_120050.jpg

The most lovely thing about is the Smile. It's a 3001 with one side a smile, the other a frown. The was very often used in Basic Boxes. And never did anything with it - until now.
And I'am in mind with printed round tiles for the eyes. Maybe white pupils are some cuter on black round tiles.
Tried a lot of more colors and this is what I get:

76393-space%20-group2.png

So next is to replace the dark Tan planet into pearl gold plates. And really modify Harry to a black space guy, but this time with a Jet Pack/Booster(?):

Maybe I will change something on the Frontplate. But first the Harry need to be shipped. If anyone like it, I posted free manuals on Rebrickable.

Edited by dirkberlin

Nice, but those sticking out eyes look creepy. I think they'd look better being inset by one plate thickness by removing the 1x1 plates from underneath, so they are flush with the face.

Yes, I experimented with the eyes too. Without the 1x1 underneath he seems to have panda eyes, shadows around the eyes.

Tried printed tiles:

20230404_174312.jpg

I think there is no yellow square tile with eyes on it.

18 minutes ago, dirkberlin said:

Yes, I experimented with the eyes too. Without the 1x1 underneath he seems to have panda eyes, shadows around the eyes.

This is why "constructive criticism" from internet randos is worthless. They don't consider the obvious problems with their own suggestions.

I think what you've built is awesome. And I like the printed eyes a lot for some reason, even though the old minifigs didn't have pupils.

Thanks. The Panda Eyes problem was a thing at a older project, which you can see as my avatar.

And yes first intention was the pure black tile, because of the simple face print. But I found the printed I liked it. I tried the squared from brickheads, but this looks realy strange.

5 hours ago, danth said:

This is why "constructive criticism" from internet randos is worthless. They don't consider the obvious problems with their own suggestions.

Actually I did think of that and still think it is a way of making the eyes less prominent by not having them sticking out. But if the OP prefers this way then that's fine. 

I thought it was worthwhile suggesting it. 

If people don't want suggestions or constructive criticism then fine.

Looks excellent, and I can totally see lego doing something like this in the future.

For what it's worth, I think the eyes are a difficult thing to solve. Either they stick out, or you have the "panda eyes". (Though I don't think there was anything wrong with @MAB's suggestion, he was polite.)  Even lego just used a print, and one that unfortunately can't work for this, since it's got the hair and eye patch.  I looked through bricklink and don't see an easy solution. This part would be great, but unfortunately is a print, not a sticker, and so can't be applied to a yellow tile. 

Yes the official maxifigure options are space pirate or flesh color. I saw at rebrickable a cool x-wing pilot hermonie, but maybe she is classy, she is not classic space. With yellow background there seems only being bricks, which are all with duplo-like eye patterns. Maybe in future. A MOC is never done.

So the Hands have these old inverted slopes "boat pieces" (80ths boats: a pair of inverted slope connected by a plate). the 1x4 in red is new, you can't buy it at lego yet (if the set is now option). Harry uses it in light nougat. Die pirates hand uses inverted slopes, cause this part is not availible in yellow yet. So even Lego needs to rework things.

Well done. Classic space deserves a maxi-fig and you did it well. I like the version with the white dot in the black eye tile. Not creeped out by the flat black tile, but it seems better in the second version to me. Adding the jet pack is great. Is that an overlay of the classic space logo so you can remove the pack and have it normal (once you swap tiles on the shoulder)?

Thanks. No, there are Snod-Bricks in place to hold the frontplate. No really idea to hide the holders:

400x300.png

Now I ordered some parts and he get the new eyes. And no yellow racing stripe on the boosters. The minion sets are not so common? Got lbg. And no red radar dish. maybe later. So use Orange for a will.

640x640.png

Edited by dirkberlin

The bottom of the helmet is too rounded and the eyes are a bit too big in proportion to the smile. Valiant effort!

Edited by Time77

The round base on the Red is technical the neckpart of the air-tanks, but not connected with the airtank to make the head turnable.
Like said before, for the eyes and mouth there is no easy solution because no cool parts.

But now I see what you mean, the helmet ist of course edgy. Maybe I can fix it

I reworked the face a lite bit, it's now a half stud in front to make the "head" bigger in the helmet. And changed the dark tan plates on the planet with pearl gold

Edit2:

640x640.jpg

So I did it a bit edgier. You were right, its more like the original. I used a ruler and to some math with the eyes. The old minifig eyes are nearly 1 mm printed. The figure is 1:6 so target 6 mm. A open stud (bar into snod element) is to narrow, 3 mm. Nearly the right size is the thick end of a technic pin, so maybe a 1x1 technic brick with pin and maybe bar inside is a sizeful element. But don'nt know if it looks good. The tile is ~7.4 mm. Yes to big, but not complete out of box. Harmonie's print is something bigger than 8 mm.

640x480.jpg

Tried the Technic Pin Building, the size is better, it's more even with face level, but it's something creepy

76393-space%20-black_jetpack-pineye.png

Edited by dirkberlin

Yes that will be the key part for a lot of classic minifig mocs on this base. I'm asking my self, what lego will present as future maxminifigs. It could be the start of a new series, now there are 4 (Hermine, Harry, Redbeard and now this). The only thing what could against a big series: Price and mostly same building technique.

Maybe I will redesign my manuel of the red spaceman wenn this set is released and the partlist is online. Should be a good start. maybe 40% of parts?

I hope there will be some good gwp for buying this guy. The faceprint will be become availible in pib in month?

I get recently the parts for the alternate version with boosters, and moced a harry figure. And finally get it, why the harry has a 4-length-bar inside the torso, and hermine not. That managed a small gap for the arms and body for the coat. So I removed it with the models. Still used the old brick piece, cause the new will a future thing.

640x640.jpg640x640.jpg640x640.jpg