40589 Pirate Ship Playground GWP Available

40589 Pirate Ship Playground

40589-Pirate-Ship-Playground-Set.jpg

Official box...

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

The Youtube channel Stud City is reporting an upcoming somewhat pirates-themed GWP called "Pirate Ship Playground".

blogged.png

If it is real then it does look rather nice. It is nothing too special but certainly a nice little set, however, Sabre Island would have been more satisfactory. :pir-grin:

It‘s nice that they have chosen the pirate theme for once, that‘s about it. As a playground it‘s fun and all, but for pirate fans it does not offer any useful/ new parts most of us don‘t already own en mass. 

5 hours ago, LegoAUT said:

It‘s nice that they have chosen the pirate theme for once, that‘s about it.

We've had a Pirate Roller Coaster... a Pirate Tree House... and in the past few months a Pirate Coin Operated Mall Ride and a Pirate Train Carriage.

So the LEGO Pirate Fans be wondering; how about a proper classic-style pirate set for once?

This could have been an opportunity to release a small pirate ship - that's something LEGO Pirate fans have wanted for a long time.

But no...  have a Pirate Playground in the shape of a ship instead!

(And this frustration is not intended to be directed at you, LegoAUT)

8 hours ago, Mister Phes said:

We've had a Pirate Roller Coaster... a Pirate Tree House... and in the past few months a Pirate Coin Operated Mall Ride and a Pirate Train Carriage.

So the LEGO Pirate Fans be wondering; how about a proper classic-style pirate set for once?

This could have been an opportunity to release a small pirate ship - that's something LEGO Pirate fans have wanted for a long time.

I fully agree! 

9 hours ago, Mister Phes said:

For what it's worth, I suspect this particular item is meant to tie in with Children's Day (which is observed in April in Taiwan and Hong Kong), much like 40529 from last year. If that's the case, then the designers probably started out with the concept of a playground before the pirate theming was settled on.

And the minifigs and accessories in this one do at least stick closer to the pirate theme than some of those other "modern day" sets listed above (or Tree House Treasures, for that matter) — enough so that either of these minifigs could plausibly be used without modification for a cabin boy or the like.

I'm not saying your frustrations aren't valid. I'm with you in hoping that LEGO might have some more AFOL-targeted pirates sets with a more historical setting planned for the near future, especially considering how outstanding some of the recent AFOL-targeted Castle and Space sets have been!

But I don't think this set precludes that possibility one bit. In fact, I think it's a good sign that LEGO is keeping these pirate-themed torso prints and headgear pieces in production, especially since they've been used so sparingly in recent years.

50 minutes ago, Aanchir said:

I'm not saying your frustrations aren't valid. I'm with you in hoping that LEGO might have some more AFOL-targeted pirates sets with a more historical setting planned for the near future, especially considering how outstanding some of the recent AFOL-targeted Castle and Space sets have been!

I take advantage of your publication to ask averyone opinion about this : recently Brickset asked its Internet users which classic set should be re-imagined for a gift-with-purchase and 6265 Sabre Island won (https://brickset.com/article/92105/result-which-classic-set-should-be-re-imagined-for-a-gift-with-purchase).

Do you think that this kind of initiative influences LEGO to the point of leading them to meet the expectations of voters?

P.-S. : I voted for 6755 Sheriff's Lock-Up (third position of the results) because I love this set and I dream of seeing the return of a theme inspired by the Wild West, but I might as well have voted for all the other sets as I am a fan of this era of the golden age of LEGO.

Without stickers of course... Hum.

Edited by Khargeust

3 hours ago, Aanchir said:

In fact, I think it's a good sign that LEGO is keeping these pirate-themed torso prints and headgear pieces in production, especially since they've been used so sparingly in recent years.

My thoughts exactly there 🤜🏻🤛🏻 I'm delighted by the fact that pirate tank tops (especially the blue-striped ones) are still finding their way into new sets from time to time, cuz we definitely need LOTS of 'em for our customs :pir-thumb:

Edited by F1stzz

9 hours ago, Aanchir said:

For what it's worth, I suspect this particular item is meant to tie in with Children's Day (which is observed in April in Taiwan and Hong Kong)

That is the apparent rumour surrounding the sets release but I assume we'll find out soon enough.

9 hours ago, Aanchir said:

I'm not saying your frustrations aren't valid. I'm with you in hoping that LEGO might have some more AFOL-targeted pirates sets with a more historical setting planned for the near future, especially considering how outstanding some of the recent AFOL-targeted Castle and Space sets have been! [...] In fact, I think it's a good sign that LEGO is keeping these pirate-themed torso prints and headgear pieces in production.

Thank you for sharing some optimism! :pir-huzzah2:

Yes, you're correct, furthermore, 31109 Creator 3 in 1 Pirate Ship has been in production for almost 3 years now so it's not like pirates is completely absent.

But the frustration arises from Castle and Space receiving modern set remakes and/or LEGO Ideas/Bricklink inspired releases, while Pirates is relegated to whatever novelty happens to be on offer that month.

I guess the frustration compounds on me  because I encounter it across the entire Classic Pirates social network when we publish articles and announcements and the news is not the classic-style Pirate set many fans long for.

9 hours ago, Khargeust said:

Do you think that this kind of initiative influences LEGO to the point of leading them to meet the expectations of voters?

The LEGO Group doesn't seem to be influenced by all 10K the pirate-themed LEGO Ideas submissions - they've rejected half a dozen of them in the past 3 years.

So if they can ignore those votes, how would an unofficial poll have much sway?

And right now, the Bricklink Designer Program is conducting a poll to determine the next series of Bricklink Designer sets - so, even if a submission Pirate attracts enough votes to be selected, will that even make a difference?

Looks like it!

Neat to see that there are more features in the back like an artificial rock wall to get up to the deck. Obviously, this doesn't really do anything to improve its value for Pirates MOCs/layouts, but it does give it more play value and variety as a playground vignette than if the back were left plain.

It's a cute little set, but as it was said before, it adds nothing to LEGO pirates as a theme. But at least it shows again, like the Disney celebration train and other stuff, that they have not forgotten about Pirates. Hope is alive!

Here's the Studio model I made according to the building instructions: 40589.io
It's a very nice GWP that will be supposedly available starting May 22nd. Those half pins in dbg for the octopus could have been red instead, since they are available in that color too.
40589.png40589_2.png

On 5/12/2023 at 7:42 AM, R0Sch said:

Here's the Studio model I made according to the building instructions: 40589.io

Thank you for sharing! :pir-huzzah2:

Now, are you able to rearrange those pieces into an actual pirate ship?

I received this today as well as the summer VIP bag and I'm thinking I'll keep it closed and sell it later on, the only things that interest me are some pieces, speaking of which the VIP summer bag has some goodies that are perfect for Pirates MOCs.

First thing I noticed was how the palm leaves in this, and the summer VIP bag are the same part, yet different.

The leaves in the playground set are more grainy textured, while the VIP bag leaves were smooth and more shiny.

Also the little text on the underside is in different positions.

I understand different mould variants can exist, as even in the same set box I got different inverted slopes of those variants (in different colors)  

50474.png

Edited by TeriXeri