evancelt

[MOC] Always Stop For A Red Flag Waving

Thomas' fireman called out to his driver to begin braking. Sir Topham Hatt was just ahead with a signalman, who was waving a red flag.

One of the first lessons Thomas had learned was to always stop for a red flag waving.

52767867044_aa8d1b7e6f_o.jpg

---------------------------------------

The Thomas model is based on @ScotNick's previous efforts

Really nice @evancelt. You have managed to capture the entire "Thomas" theme very there I think. The backdrop also works out great.

Did you use the Duplo face? Was it difficult to remove it from the rest of the Duplo?

Love the MOC! The text reminds me a bit of the Little Golden Book "Tootle", with the "always stop for a red flag, no matter what" line being straight from that book.

Funnily enough, both Tootle and the first book in The Railways Series both came out in the same year: 1945. Now how about that for a coincidence!

1 hour ago, Murdoch17 said:

Love the MOC! The text reminds me a bit of the Little Golden Book "Tootle", with the "always stop for a red flag, no matter what" line being straight from that book.

Funnily enough, both Tootle and the first book in The Railways Series both came out in the same year: 1945. Now how about that for a coincidence!

Thanks! Yes, the title/story are adapted from Tootle :pir-huzzah2: My kids love that book

Superb. Thomas is great, and the rest of the scene fits perfectly. I like the scenery shift to the forced perspective. Having the track at an angle to the rest of the diorama gives it a look not often seen in LEGO, but one that makes it stand apart from others.

12 minutes ago, Feuer Zug said:

Superb. Thomas is great, and the rest of the scene fits perfectly. I like the scenery shift to the forced perspective. Having the track at an angle to the rest of the diorama gives it a look not often seen in LEGO, but one that makes it stand apart from others.

Thanks! The straight track is attached to the base using a swivel plate and lots of tiles. I then put plates down on either side of it to keep it from swiveling once in place.

IMG_9504.jpg

4 hours ago, JopieK said:

Really nice @evancelt. You have managed to capture the entire "Thomas" theme very there I think. The backdrop also works out great.

Did you use the Duplo face? Was it difficult to remove it from the rest of the Duplo?

I tried the Duplo face first (removed using a hacksaw), but it was too big! This one is made out of modeling clay and then superglued onto some tiles

IMG_8897.jpg

Some other earlier prototype heads next to the final one:

49FEEE03-7FE6-48A8-9B3E-37EA1DBE4F66.jpg

Your skill with modelling clay is impressive! I too thought you removed the duplo face.

I grew up with both Tootle and Thomas so this hits me with a double wave of nostalgia. Thomas is very well built, and your figs capture the Thomas vibe perfectly. Love your tree and plants. The brick-built background is just icing on the cake! Fantastic work!

33 minutes ago, MKJoshA said:

Your skill with modelling clay is impressive! I too thought you removed the duplo face.

I grew up with both Tootle and Thomas so this hits me with a double wave of nostalgia. Thomas is very well built, and your figs capture the Thomas vibe perfectly. Love your tree and plants. The brick-built background is just icing on the cake! Fantastic work!

I also grew up with these two, along with The Little Engine That Could. Of those three, Tootle was top bedtime reading material, but that waned once I could read for myself - Thomas took over then, as my coverless and well-worn semi-complete collection book can attest. Thank you @evancelt for bringing back fond memories of my youth.

Very nice, I really like the brick built decoration of Thomas and the background!

I have seen many fine MOCs of yours but I am tempted to say that this is your best creation!

Thanks for also sharing that clay secret behind Thomas' face.

:thumbup: