Sign in to follow this  
Louis of Nutwood

GoH 10 C: Høydefür, The Northern Fortress

I’ve taken way too many roads to remember them all. I’ve ventured through the unknown, into the white horizon. Fearlessly, bravely. But once I stepped on this one road I knew so well... I shivered.

“To move forward, you need first to face the demons of your past. It cannot be changed, forgotten, tossed in the wind, or buried in the snow. It can only be accepted”.

I was not ready to come back. But destiny unraveled, and there I was. Looking for answers in the memories I tried to bury.

Høydefür, as I remembered, was once an imposing fortress. A mixture of stone and timber, admired for its fortitude. Big and strong and solid. Thick walls and towers that could reach the skies stood vibrant amidst the white peaks and mountains of the North.

... But that was years ago.

It’s funny how time plays its part. For in the distance, hidden in the bleak stillness of nature, a shy and lonely fort stood still. Høydefür, the strongest of the northern castles, remained untouched, unchanged. Just as I remembered.

The cold wind tightened on my throat. And every step towards the wooden gates was a tough reminder of the years gone by. But the closer I got, clearer it became. The green boy I thought I killed, lived within me still.

Inside the walls, the sound of metal clang and the crackling of wood resounded in my chest. Like a beast, opening its mouth to swallow the prey, the wooden gates yawned open, welcoming me to my own past.

Høydefür was no more than a decaying shack. A hollow dump I used to call home.

Høydefür, The Northern Fortress

Høydefür, The Northern Fortress

________

Entry to the GoH 10 Challenge, Category C: Miscellaneous.

I hope you all like it.

Høydefür is a little story about going back to a familiar place, and finding it just as it was, but still completely different. It's funny how sometimes a little distance can change your whole perspective about a subject. It's not always comfortable to adventure through your own past. But it sure makes us grow.

The green boy I thought I killed, lived within me still.

Louis of Nutwood.

Very nice build.  I like the stonework and wooden framing on the towers.   The rockwork looks great, especially with the white pieces as snow.  The pine trees look good in white for the snow effect.  

Great writing and message, Louis! 

21 hours ago, Louis of Nutwood said:

Høydefür was no more than a decaying shack. A hollow dump I used to call home

This here is particularly a particularly impactful! I once plan to return to building for Zotharith, Exetrius' hometown, and this makes me wonder if I'll find it back the way it used to be. 

Buildwise, I like the palisade with snowcover part, the cosy interior with an abundance of candles (hope they keep the place a bit warm? :wink:) and the diagonal lines of the terrain. :thumbup: Nice trees and stone walls too. 

This is a great little fortress, your snow is spot on as always, and I like the round stones on the towers a lot!

I also like the round stones used for the towers. But my favorite part are the snow covered trees. They look so good!

On 3/20/2023 at 6:52 PM, zoth33 said:

Very nice build.  I like the stonework and wooden framing on the towers.   The rockwork looks great, especially with the white pieces as snow.  The pine trees look good in white for the snow effect.  

Really happy you liked and mentioned the wooden framings, Zoth. They basically started the whole thing. And snow.. you know it's my sweet spot! Cheers! Thanks for the support. 

On 3/20/2023 at 9:41 PM, A_Forest_of_Lego said:

Awesome design!

Thank you, bud!

On 3/21/2023 at 2:22 PM, Exetrius said:

Great writing and message, Louis! 

This here is particularly a particularly impactful! I once plan to return to building for Zotharith, Exetrius' hometown, and this makes me wonder if I'll find it back the way it used to be. 

Buildwise, I like the palisade with snowcover part, the cosy interior with an abundance of candles (hope they keep the place a bit warm? :wink:) and the diagonal lines of the terrain. :thumbup: Nice trees and stone walls too. 

I'm thrilled you liked the message, Exetrius! It's not particularly warm and colorful, but still powerful one.
Happy you liked the palisade, bud. I'm planning to use more wood in the near future, so it's great to have this feedback. 
Cheers, bud!

On 3/25/2023 at 2:38 PM, Kai NRG said:

This is a great little fortress, your snow is spot on as always, and I like the round stones on the towers a lot!

Really glad to hear your valuable thoughts, Kai! Such a pleasure. 
It's not the first time I venture with building snotted stone walls framed by wooden beams, but I'm trying a few things new. Glad you liked the mainly rounded pebbles to build it, bud. 
And you know I have a soft spot for snow, right?
Cheers, mate!

On 3/26/2023 at 1:06 PM, Yperio_Bricks said:

I also like the round stones used for the towers. But my favorite part are the snow covered trees. They look so good!

Super happy you liked the trees, Yperio! Thanks for the support, bud.

Gorgeous!  I think it's interesting how, even with essentially the same color palette and the same perspective, you have managed to build two different fortresses with two different characters.  I like your square towers with SNOT rock studs.  It works well here. You do an amazing job with the snow, particularly on the battlements and towers.  I think that using sloped rockwork can be dangerous and look too simplistic, but you have managed to make it look more random and natural, which is not an easy feat with slopes.  Love the interior here!  The sword above the door is great decoration, and I like all the candelabras.  Great job!

The amount of Mitgardian fortresses that you've built is amazing. Good to see our guild so well-defended! I like that looks so pleasing to the eye while you didn't use a lot of different colors.