Sign in to follow this  
Lord Buckethead

[GoC] Lotii Shophouses, Port Raleigh

Port Raleigh hosts a sizeable Lotii community, many moving to the new world in search of a more prosperous future. With them they bring aspects of their culture, perhaps most notably their unique architectural style. It is a credit to the Lotii immigrants that Port Raleigh now features some of the most beautifully designed and tranquil gardens and teahouse in the new world. These Lotii buildings stand very distinct from more orthodox Corlander architecture, giving the Lotii quarter of the city an incredibly foreign atmosphere. However after some time and given the increasing urbanization of the Lotii quarter, the architectural styles of the two communities have begun to fuse, giving rise to an interesting and rather unique form of building; the shophouse.

52759583779_4030671a26_c.jpg

The streets of the Lotii quarter are now lined with these long and narrow buildings of the most colourful varieties. The bottom floors feature intricate mosaics, unique to each shophouse which contrasts with the uniform terracotta roofs. Thus each shophouse is unique in its own right, though they all still clearly belong to the same architectural family. Their namesake comes from the twin roles that these buildings serve. They are first and foremost a residence for their owners, being deceptively large they are well capable of housing entire families comfortably. However they also serve as businesses for their inhabitants. Featuring a front room that can act as a shopfront, each dwelling on these streets is also a vibrant place of business. The rise of this style of building has given the Lotii quarter an even more unique ambience that cannot be felt anywhere else in the known world.

52759819888_b02f5a9858_c.jpg

G'day everyone! I'm back again hahaha. Have been wanting to build for a while and got around to it. Have a couple of loose ends to tie up story wise and will definitely get around to them but this build was inspired by a recent trip to Singapore and I figure this is a great way to incorporate it into our little world. I loved walking down the streets seeing all the different styles of shophouse and wanted to do my best to recreate it. I've never been an immensely technical builder but that's something I'd like to slowly change. I used a lot of techniques I haven't before and must so I really like the outcome. It could of course be improved and I'd love if you guys could help me out on that front. I'd like to put a lot more effort into learning techniques so that with every new build I can slowly improve. And with that in mind, I feel the GoC challenge is perfect. I love the spirit of it and would be very grateful to you guys for helping me improve. This is for category 8: The Lotii Connection.

That aside, I hope to be back for a bit longer this time, there's definitely quite a few things I'm keen to try out. It's also been great trying to catch up on all that's happened over the past couple of year. There's a lot and I haven't nearly covered it all but you guys have smashed it. Some really great stories!

Edited by Lord Buckethead

I love the uneven roof technique!  Great job capturing the atmosphere too with the unique colors and the white grill tiles.

Very beautifully houses with great details. I like the roof very much, the facade is also nice built.

I can't believe I didn't comment on this - brilliant work! The roofs, the colour... everything! And easy to see your inspiration from Singapore. Great job! :thumbup: