Sign in to follow this  
Exetrius

Goh 10 B: Once upon a time in Kaliphlin...

52744687114_ba0aa6997a_c.jpg

Somewhere in the eastern Siccus Badlands, in a village called Amrakect, was once the home the Centario family. A cozy little dwelling just behind the village defence wall, and next to Horse's Gate, was the house where white-haired boy Onicius and his sister Alicia lived, with their father and mother. In general it was a rather quiet and peaceful town, apart from the bustling market places. Alicia was often playing around town with the other village kids, while Oncius loved to watch the activity around Horse's Gate from the terrace, sometimes talking to the guards (his father was a guard as well), and lazying in the afternoon heat.

52744658784_b00c1bdf9f_c.jpg

But those peaceful and carefree days would not last...

Spoiler

18707852059_8b275e7db5_z.jpg

20841554472_621b219952_z.jpg

Carpe diem, Centario family!

52744899273_81801eca96_c.jpg

52743889692_4776f29cf4_z.jpg

52744658734_c8fec65bdf_z.jpg

There's full interior in the house, which consists (top to bottom) of an adult bedroom, kitchen, terrace and children's bedroom. Really challenging to squeeze everything in!

The portcullis inside the gate tower can be raised, locked at various heights, and dropped with the release of the lock (in grey). When fully lowered, the gap through which the portcullis rises is closed with a hatch. The hatch is pushed open when the portcullis is raised and closes when it is dropped. I really enjoy this fun feature, so I think I'm going to integrate functionality more often. A video of the mechanism in action (hope you can view it):

52744950756_0edef0aed4_z.jpg

---

Overall, I'm really pleased with build and I enjoyed the premise of the category! I chose my first very first Guilds of Historica build to make a modern version of. I never thought of it as a bad build, but it stands so far from how I nowadays think a build should be, that I was excited to improve and expand it in several ways. I wanted it to pale in comparison, in all departments! Including: full and accessible interior as opposed to none, viewable 360°, a full colour palette, and even functionality with a video as proof! :grin: But without a seed, a sapling, you'll never have a tree. So, I still look up to my first build, and other historic GoH builds, and I'm very grateful for being part of this wonderful community I've been enjoying for so many years! :blush: Cheers!

Edited by Exetrius

This is an upgrade for certain, great idea to do your first GoH MOC, it certainly does pale in comparison!  I love the addition of the little blue buildings.  The full interiors are also impressive. 

On 3/13/2023 at 8:55 PM, Kai NRG said:

This is an upgrade for certain, great idea to do your first GoH MOC, it certainly does pale in comparison!  I love the addition of the little blue buildings.  The full interiors are also impressive. 

Thank you! :classic:

Oooh!  I love these colors!  This is a great build, even for you (which is saying quite a bit).  I like the differential in height from one side to the other, and the functional crenelations on the wall.  The footer looks good, and the decorative shield above the door is a nice touch.  I particularly like the fountain on the inside of the wall, which would have great importance in the desert (as opposed to Avalonia, where one might find a well outside a protected wall, for instance).  I really like the blue colored house, and the canopy over the chair on the roof is great.  The dark orange looks good here, and yes, I noticed your bits of sand red! :sweet: Interiors on the house are nice, and the functional portcullis is amazing!  Great job!

On 4/2/2023 at 1:32 AM, Grover said:

Oooh!  I love these colors!  This is a great build, even for you (which is saying quite a bit).  I like the differential in height from one side to the other, and the functional crenelations on the wall.  The footer looks good, and the decorative shield above the door is a nice touch.  I particularly like the fountain on the inside of the wall, which would have great importance in the desert (as opposed to Avalonia, where one might find a well outside a protected wall, for instance).  I really like the blue colored house, and the canopy over the chair on the roof is great.  The dark orange looks good here, and yes, I noticed your bits of sand red! :sweet: Interiors on the house are nice, and the functional portcullis is amazing!  Great job!

Thank you so much, Grover! Glad to hear about the fountain, as it's one of my favorite things in the build but a bit tough to highlight in the pictures. And indeed, a vital resource to have within the village walls. I was much inspired by French countryside villages, where the amount of public fountains per capita seems to be very high. Also thanks for pointing out the sand red (always nice when your flexing is noticed) and the rest of your compliments! :grin::sweet:

I somehow have missed out on this great build. It’s cohesive and very pleasant to hold up and have a deeper look at. I especially like details such as the string between the trees and the fountain. The two different sides of the wall is clever and I like the color-palette for the ground! 

Great upgrade of the original build! The wall and tower are suitable imposing from the outside, and there are lots of fun details on the inside like the water well, the pavilion on top of the house, and the brickbuilt palm tree. Also the fact that you were able to fit such detailed interiors and a functioning gate into such small buildings is seriously impressive!

You've improved so much over the years! Tremendous reinterpretation of your old scene.

The proportions and subtle detailing of the tower and wall look fantastic, and the the functional portcullis and windlass mechanism was an

unexpected but splendid surprise :thumbup:

Excellent use of color for the small houses, and a gorgeous fountain design. I don't recall seeing many representations of that sort of fountain in LEGO form, and yours is top-notch.

Edited by soccerkid6

This is one of those mocs where you'd love to see other additions next to it. Expanding the wall with more towers and gatehouses while having a vibrant world behind it. It has nice crenelations and a solid wall texture. And cool details like the fountain, the connected trees and that kitchen is top notch in such a small space. And I also like seeing the progress in building and photo skills compared to the old version. Great work!

What a great way to celebrate by going back to the start! I love all the upgrades you've made, especially with the expanded colors and features. 

On 4/6/2023 at 12:30 PM, T-86(swe) said:

I somehow have missed out on this great build. It’s cohesive and very pleasant to hold up and have a deeper look at. I especially like details such as the string between the trees and the fountain. The two different sides of the wall is clever and I like the color-palette for the ground! 

Thank you! The string isn't there for show actually. The big tree has a flextube on the inside and is rather top-heavy, so I found it would bend within some of tens minutes under it's own weight. So I added the small tree, which is more rigid, and string, to keep it in place, and that works. :classic:

On 4/7/2023 at 3:25 AM, LordDan said:

Great upgrade of the original build! The wall and tower are suitable imposing from the outside, and there are lots of fun details on the inside like the water well, the pavilion on top of the house, and the brickbuilt palm tree. Also the fact that you were able to fit such detailed interiors and a functioning gate into such small buildings is seriously impressive! 

Thanks! The small spaces were a real challenge to fit in an interior indeed, while also thinking about how to access it. But it was worth going the extra mile!

On 4/10/2023 at 11:57 AM, soccerkid6 said:

You've improved so much over the years! Tremendous reinterpretation of your old scene.

The proportions and subtle detailing of the tower and wall look fantastic, and the the functional portcullis and windlass mechanism was an

unexpected but splendid surprise :thumbup:

Excellent use of color for the small houses, and a gorgeous fountain design. I don't recall seeing many representations of that sort of fountain in LEGO form, and yours is top-notch.

Thanks a lot, high praise! :sweet: And now I will look out for these type of fountains in other builds, haha!

On 4/18/2023 at 8:37 PM, Ecclesiastes said:

This is one of those mocs where you'd love to see other additions next to it. Expanding the wall with more towers and gatehouses while having a vibrant world behind it. It has nice crenelations and a solid wall texture. And cool details like the fountain, the connected trees and that kitchen is top notch in such a small space. And I also like seeing the progress in building and photo skills compared to the old version. Great work!

Thank you! Yes, that would be a sight! To be fair, not much of a surprising comment coming from the guy that has single-handedly built fortified cities. :tongue: One day, man! I feel like it's not too far off, as far as collection goes. :classic: Btw, glad you like the kitchen too!

On 4/19/2023 at 2:41 AM, Umbra-Manis said:

What a great way to celebrate by going back to the start! I love all the upgrades you've made, especially with the expanded colors and features. 

Thanks, man! I had a blast! 

Edited by Exetrius

Lovely build! I especially like the vibrant houses inside :classic:
Once again in this category a great example of how GoH participation has honed your skills!