Jim

Opportunity: Next Level Technic Creations opportunity

From The LEGO Group:

The LEGO Agency is looking to feature unique AFOL Technic creations on official LEGO branded social channels. The goal is to show the world how creative the Technic building system can be with the hopes of inspiring others to build outside the box. If you have an amazing technic creation that you would like to be considered to be featured in a "top 10" list, please submit it. Selected participants will receive a token of appreciation.

I'm sure we can submit some cool models.

Edit: Forgot the sign up link

I probably shouldn't even answer in this topic, but hey, in worst case scenario I will receive confirmation how small I am :D

I humbly propose my UAZ 3151, which was also described here on the forum.

Edited by keymaker

I'm curious what creations will participate and what this contest will hold for the future. And some things arose in me:

I don't know why TLG has to advertise the theme. It's one of the oldest ones in the company.

In the near past it has been one of the best selling themes, so it shouldn't be a financial point.

I still can't understand the "hate"/alienating of the theme. Is there anything going on in the background?

I submit my latest GBC creations, here on top of my GBC list. Some older ones have been featured before by LEGO Technic so I know there is interest, one even without my permission. They could have gotten my permission, but they didn't ask.

If I understand correctly, they are expecting non-typical ideas here, something out of the box (things like clock mechanics and GBCs are examples I'd think about). So I guess cars are not really the things they are after :)

1 hour ago, keymaker said:

I probably shouldn't even answer in this topic, but hey, in worst case scenario I will receive confirmation how small I am :D

I humbly propose my UAZ 3151, which was also described here on the forum.

You can sign up yourself. I forgot to add the link, so I have edited the first post.

3 hours ago, gyenesvi said:

So I guess cars are not really the things they are after :)

You are probably 100% right but I decided to apply. Becuase why not? It cost me a minute of my time :)

Thanks @Jim for the link!

Edited by keymaker

5 hours ago, Jockos said:

I'm curious what creations will participate and what this contest will hold for the future. And some things arose in me:

I don't know why TLG has to advertise the theme. It's one of the oldest ones in the company.

In the near past it has been one of the best selling themes, so it shouldn't be a financial point.

I still can't understand the "hate"/alienating of the theme. Is there anything going on in the background?

I think you're overthinking it. Like any other company on social media, Lego need a steady stream of content to share out to their followers; sharing Technic MOCs kills three birds with one stone as it's content that Lego doesn't have to make themselves, it gets customers inspired to build their own Technic stuff (which helps drive Technic sales) and it makes existing Technic fans feel valued.

I just went on Lego's Instagram and some of their most recent posts have been Mario, Lord of the Rings and Star Wars; I'm sure those themes/sets are selling perfectly well too, so it's not like Technic is somehow in dire need of more advertising and being singled out.

Edited by heyitsdisty

7 minutes ago, heyitsdisty said:

I think you're overthinking it. Like any other company on social media, Lego need a steady stream of content to share out to their followers; sharing Technic MOCs kills three birds with one stone as it's content that Lego doesn't have to make themselves, it gets customers inspired to build their own Technic stuff (which helps drive Technic sales) and it makes existing Technic fans feel valued.

I just went on Lego's Instagram and some of their most recent posts have been Mario, Lord of the Rings and Star Wars; I'm sure those themes/sets are selling perfectly well too, so it's not like Technic is somehow in dire need of more advertising and being singled out.

Ahh, I see. Thanks!

I’ve submitted a link to my theme park ride from TC14 !

I think that’s outside the box and shows mechanisms in play

@Jim, do you know what are the (legal) consequences of signing up / being selected? The sign-up link does not explain too much. Is that an official Lego link, or is it just something you guys created to gather interest? For example, if one submits an idea to Lego Ideas, they loose the right to sell the MOC on Rebrickable for a period of time even if the idea is rejected. It would be great to know if something like that applies here. Though I guess it's not like that as Lego are not potentially making their own version of it, still there might be some 'terms'. Thanks!

5 hours ago, keymaker said:

You are probably 100% right but I decided to apply. Becuase why not? It cost me a minute of my time :)

Didn't think it would be that simple :)

1 minute ago, gyenesvi said:

@Jim, do you know what are the (legal) consequences of signing up / being selected? The sign-up link does not explain too much. Is that an official Lego link, or is it just something you guys created to gather interest? For example, if one submits an idea to Lego Ideas, they loose the right to sell the MOC on Rebrickable for a period of time even if the idea is rejected. It would be great to know if something like that applies here. Though I guess it's not like that as Lego are not potentially making their own version of it, still there might be some 'terms'. Thanks!

I know as much as you do. I guess "no terms".

2 minutes ago, gyenesvi said:

Didn't think it would be that simple :)

First, I know I do not have chances :D Second, even if they somehow respond to me, they will bring conditions which I will check and decide if I go for it or not. In case of monetizing MOC, my UAZ was already stolen by filthy thieves hiding in china, so...

45 minutes ago, gyenesvi said:

@Jim, do you know what are the (legal) consequences of signing up / being selected?

There's no legal contract to sign behind the link so there can't be legal consequences. Unless you count the terms & conditions linked at the very bottom, but that's with Microsoft who provides the form, and not with TLG.

If, after submitting your info, you get contacted by TLG and are asked to sign something, then there might be legal consequences but not before.

The goal is to show the world how creative the Technic building system can be with the hopes of inspiring others to build outside the box.

Thats my main issue with LEGO - they are unaware of having themselves limited in so many ways with propably having external consulting agencies as a consequence, who will just tell them "redo the same things with minor changes which worked before in regard of sales" - result is: we see the same (more or less technically boring) sets being released.

They need to understand that they need to open their minds instead of following the next bs advise from the consultants, which also probably will be "ah yeah your boring sets are not selling anymore?! Ask the community to give impressions what is really possible with your product" (them knowing the limited capabilities of the LEGO management understand their wrong decisions which they took in the first place).

But I better 🤐 now..

18 minutes ago, aFrInaTi0n said:

Thats my main issue with LEGO - they are unaware of having themselves limited in so many ways with propably having external consulting agencies as a consequence, who will just tell them "redo the same things with minor changes which worked before in regard of sales" - result is: we see the same (more or less technically boring) sets being released.

They need to understand that they need to open their minds instead of following the next bs advise from the consultants, which also probably will be "ah yeah your boring sets are not selling anymore?! Ask the community to give impressions what is really possible with your product" (them knowing the limited capabilities of the LEGO management understand their wrong decisions which they took in the first place).

But I better 🤐 now..

I'm also saddened that innovation and interesting set design seems to mostly be a thing of past with Technic, but it's also a fact that the current lineup makes TLG a lot of money and I can't really blame them for the state of things. Maybe the public will at some point get bored with the endless and functionally identical car sets but at the moment it seems that those are the way to go for moneymaking.

6 hours ago, aFrInaTi0n said:

Seems not if an agency is asking community sites to offer great MOCs.. but I may be too negative here

Nah, this is just normal marketing and customer engagement.

7 hours ago, aFrInaTi0n said:

But I better 🤐 now..

Agreed!

I am pleased with cars and do not need more. I love the bodywork of current lineup, but I am missing the functionality, a great example of such set is 42125 with a big hole instead of normal floor, interior and so on. Moreover I am frustrated by the technical solutions in the chassis. For example 42110 is a great set with many interesting functions, but it can not basically be motorised (in a straight way) due to the wobbling suspension arms. So I had to rebuild the whole chassis to get a working RC version of Defender. 

Current models are the great display pieces, but they are far from being technically and mechanically well-engineered. I am looking forward for the Lego sets developed by LPE Power (https://www.youtube.com/@nicjasno). Am I asking too much from Lego? But I am ready to pay for each brilliant technical solution is LPE`s cars! 

Edited by Daniel-99

23 hours ago, Jim said:

Selected participants will receive a token of appreciation.

How much is that "token" worth in hard currency :pir-laugh:? Are they looking for innocent dumbheads in the fanbase to exploit, in order to produce an advertising campain glorifying the Lego brand? A billion dollar company running out of ideas? Is that still their understanding how "social media" works nowadays? Questions over questions... IMHO it´s nothing more than a cheap marketing move, same thing with their "Ideas" program.

I send them one of my RC mocs and gave my honest opinion about what is not possible with their brand, but with others. Also in my personal opinion they are not even considering into getting into new markets except the already exploited ones... 🤷‍♂️
Every honest feedback is a good feedback I guess - shall they decide if this agency will ignore all the non-LEGO brand mentions in their to their customer.

BTW: Please don't enter any personal details and use not your main mailbox account, as it seems there is no GDPR agreement / disclaimer - which is mandatory since several years. So very professional looking agency..

Edited by aFrInaTi0n