JoKo

[MOC] Kite powered speedboat SP80

Hi !

This model is quite personal because I am currently working on the real one. It started as a joke at the coffee machine.

It is a minifig scale 1/40 model of a boat meant to break the sailing world speed record. More about SP80 boat: https://sp80.ch/the-challenge/

The main proportions are OK but the shape of the front and hulls are limited by scale and minifig compatibility. Low number of pieces was also a constraint. So it's a toy rather than scale model.

It features a Technic system that demonstrate the power module function: aligning the kite and the foil forces. It is of course simplified and approximate just to demonstrate the idea.

It can also be disassembled like the real one. Main hull and beam hold together with technic pins and tiles.

For now it's a Studio model and a mismatched approximate prototype on the mentioned coffee machine.

Image 4 and 5 show the mechanism. Green kite line pulls the boat and the foil is kept perpendicular to this force. The red pivot point is offset on starboard.

y4m8Jwc7o4JX2U81SUbU_CkYn7IAsCTQGxgI3k06

y4m3HuXr92DhibP0c5MrwOzAV0UZXEyK_TsBtEYDy4mMRnEnHQBOpyzqaFLN4ogLjNQha4DqGOukek0G

y4mO9ImCAwwgURgtUoZLEtqhc3YDQfiZTqUk41eO

y4mfRiKC_6mDpSF6niibVCpuAwx4VGPqBbqc74ph

y4m2MCR07er7wxlNjtY8PRtvIq-AXdw5fc3SLEXZy4mXVKJG2han9eCBMRXOjAOEP5UEuIKWSHu-QmMM

y4mpCIkBnmf6ThX8nI-marHz5FTgFzIlo4yxAfFS

I hope you'll like it.

When I first saw it I though you had linked pics for a star trek moc by mistake, looks great like a cross between a bird of prey and an sr 71, all models should first be built in harlequin first i think there is some law. Hope it is successful 

19 minutes ago, Aerolight said:

When I first saw it I though you had linked pics for a star trek moc by mistake, looks great like a cross between a bird of prey and an sr 71, all models should first be built in harlequin first i think there is some law. Hope it is successful 

:head_back:   A coworker suggested painting the real boat harlequin.

And yeah, It looks like a SR 71 seaplane that's not supposed to take off!

Edited by JoKo

Cool project - the lego build and the original one.

I was just looking at the real one, and was thinking - won't that kite lift side of boat up at that arm arrangement? Or that will be compensated with position/arrangement of fin keel?

But You probably have thought that trough.

7 hours ago, Jurss said:

Cool project - the lego build and the original one.

I was just looking at the real one, and was thinking - won't that kite lift side of boat up at that arm arrangement? Or that will be compensated with position/arrangement of fin keel?

But You probably have thought that trough.

I didn't design the real one, just the Lego version but I think I can answer that question, I have a little of kitesurf practice.

Indeed the kite can pull vertically and so pull the side up. But when the kite is vertical above the boat (kite zenith) the angle of attack of the kite in the wind is kept minimal unless you want to take off. For speed sailing the kite is quite low over the horizon and the angle of attack can be increased for max traction and the rear foil is supposed to counteract the lift from the kite.