• 5 - Outstanding

Steam Shovel with Carrier

With New Picture Update!

Set #: 730

Year Released: 1973/1974

Piece Count: 101

Minifigs: 0

List Price: approx. unknown

One of my oldest sets that is still intact (meaning I was able to find all the pieces), is this classic set from1973/1974, Steam Shovel with Carrier. Did you think 6-stud wide vehicles were new to Lego City? Well, not really. This classic is in fact a very early version of 6-stud wide vehicles pre-dating the armless faceless minifigs. The set includes a number of very unique pieces that have not been made again.

Starting with the instructions, very worn and tattered, but still useable:

30-0.jpg

The flatbed truck. Isn't she a beauty? The flat bed is 24 studs in length (and that's just the length of the single red baseplate).

02truck.jpg

This is the cab of the vehicle. It uses the classic 3x3 doors with clear upper section:

03cab.jpg

The Lego "Steering Brick" is original (no decals). It is connected to a rod that steers the wheels at the base. The brick also keeps the steering column from falling off:

30-2.jpg

How about this for a rare piece? It's a 5x6 blue baseplate with hole for the steering column:

05cab3.jpg

And heres the wheel set and steering column attached to a very unique black baseplate:

06cabbase.jpg

Here are some of the pieces (all original) used on the cab. No decals here. The blue 1x6 was also used on the Moon Landing set (#565)

07spec.jpg

I should point out that very early Lego sets used this type of steering design for it's vehicles. I have a few more of the holed-baseplates and a white steering column from an earlier set that was handed down to me. I have no idea what the set was, but know it must have been VERY old.

Moving on to the flatbed, at the end of the 24 stud baseplate are two hinge pieces that allow the Steam Shovel to drive off the flatbed:

08bed.jpg

Now the Steam Shovel; red and yellow, a nice color combination for a construction vehicle.

30-3.jpg

Here's a close-up. I could not locate a 2x6 yellow brick (as common as it is), so replaced it with 2 1x6 bricks for rebuilding:

10steam2.jpg

The other side of the vehicle shows the spool piece. These are what the early ones look like. They even had a metal turning device:

12steam3.jpg

Moving the pulley up lifts the steam shovel arm:

11shov1.jpg

Here's the complete set:

30-1.jpg

And pictured with some construction figs:

30-8.jpg

Close-up:

30-7.jpg

A shot of the Steam Shovel with Carrier as it makes it's way through Tabletown:

14city.jpg

One of the best things about a set like this is that you can haul just about anything, including...

Another construction vehicle:

30-5.jpg

Or even a few classic 4-stud wide cars:

30-6.jpg

Final Thoughts:

Although this set was from a pre-minifig era, it's an all-time classic. Using just simple bricks, Lego was able to design a nicely detailed set that can be easily incorporated into a more modern town. I may try mofifying the cab and the steam shovel to allow the inclusion of minifigs. Hope you enjoyed this pre-Classic Town set review!

Thanks for the review. Im not an expert for sets that date back that far (i wasnt born), but I give it a three, its okay, the rope is cool. :classic:

Looking at this vintage review, I decided to give it a "4" :thumbup:

Excellent set, taking into consideration that it was made in the early 1970s. The flatbed truck was constructed very well. I agreed that the flat bed (red baseplate) makes it looks amazing. You don't get such big parts in current LEGO sets anymore. The driver seat can still be modify slightly to add on a truck driver in it. :classic: I just love these blue doors!

As for the Steam Shovel, I believed I had not come across a set that actually made use of thread as the main highlight, and done a very good job with it as well. The metal turning device is very surprised, and it somehow reminded me of a musical box. :tongue:

Brickster, thanks for adding in the construction figs into the set. It certainly added more points to this vintage set. :blush:

Excellent review; its been a while since they've made sets with visible metal parts, hasn't it? :thumbup:

Wow that brought back some memories, i remember having one of these as a kid. Would probably have been a xmas pressy i think, wonder what happened to it. i guess it may still be in the family somewhere as my lego got passed down to various relatives as they had kids.

I love the classic constructions sets much better than the new consturction sets. They were more realistic. Great review! :thumbup::thumbup:

Thank you all for taking time to provide your feedback re. this vintage set. I appreciate the fact that many of you weren't even born when this set was released, but yet you can recognize the quality of early Lego design, and without minifigs. What I think is most interesting about this set is its age. To think, this set was released in 1974 (1973 according to Lugnet). That's over 35 years old! The printed parts are still in good shape. I think it's due to quality paint and plastic during this era.

In any case, I enjoy reading your commenst and thoughts re. this true classic.

I voted for Outstanding, because this set comes with some really rare parts, and it's just old.

I voted for Outstanding, because this set comes with some really rare parts, and it's just old.

Yes! :thumbup: That's appreciating the age and unique parts - THANK YOU!

Well Brickster has done it again another great review of a great set, You still ROCK! I always wanted this set it had so many neat features that I always appreciated the printed brick headlights working door, hinge plates a scoop and a huge plate for a trailer and rubber tracks.

Great set and thanks for the trip down the lane again.

While I dont remember owning this set, whoever I got the bulk of my collection from did. I suspect so because had (broke) the things the truck uses to load the shovel, I have the spool peice and the metal pin, and I have the wheels and even the tracks. A classic set, that is for sure.

Staudie.

EDIT - I also have the blue 6x4 used for the roof, as well as the black turnatble.

Edited by Stauder

Well Brickster has done it again another great review of a great set, You still ROCK! I always wanted this set it had so many neat features that I always appreciated the printed brick headlights working door, hinge plates a scoop and a huge plate for a trailer and rubber tracks.

Great set and thanks for the trip down the lane again.

You bet, and thank you! It's always cool to hear someone tell you that "You Rock". :wink: I'm really glad to see that you can value these vintage sets.

While I dont remember owning this set, whoever I got the bulk of my collection from did. I suspect so because had (broke) the things the truck uses to load the shovel, I have the spool peice and the metal pin, and I have the wheels and even the tracks. A classic set, that is for sure.

I have a few pieces like that, but I still don't know what sets they come from. They come from VERY Early Lego - like a grey tire and a white steeing piece.

A fantastic set from an era when Lego had to be creative with just blocks. I hope we can get more reviews of these early sets going as I find it helpful with ideas for future creations. Thanks for the review and I for one hope for more.

I hope we can get more reviews of these early sets going as I find it helpful with ideas for future creations. Thanks for the review and I for one hope for more.

Thanks Cardinal Brick. After reviewing your terrific review of the London Bus, I was motivated to snap a few more pictures and update this review. I woould also love to see a few more vintage set reviews.

Wow. I love that set. The steamshovel is just so... interesting. And then the steering portion of the Truck.

Awesome review!

Thanks Brick n Brick. I appreciate your comments and appreciation of this set. As I said before, it's one of my oldest sets. This makes it even more special.

Thank you all for taking time to provide your feedback re. this vintage set. I appreciate the fact that many of you weren't even born when this set was released, but yet you can recognize the quality of early Lego design, and without minifigs. What I think is most interesting about this set is its age. To think, this set was released in 1974 (1973 according to Lugnet). That's over 35 years old! The printed parts are still in good shape. I think it's due to quality paint and plastic during this era.

In any case, I enjoy reading your commenst and thoughts re. this true classic.

Think about it. Classics are worth money. Not to mention, something about having an old set like this just brings back memories, or good feelings.

One thing I didn't say is that with this review, I have decided to buy this set, no matter the price. :cry_happy::thumbup: