Brickshipyard

[MOC] Classic Space Nebulon-B Frigate

Hey eurobricks community. I meant to post this a few weeks ago during the CES contest because it would have been a fun entry with the small X-wing and hangar. However, it also wouldn't have qualified because it's definitely over 40 studs long (75.9 studs in length).

The Neb-B moc represents some of my highest building accomplishments such as taking an official set or two and making something totally fun, big, and new out of them. Plus mashing classic space with Star Wars is special and unique. I've long wanted to try my hand at the Nebulon-B design.... just something so unusual and quitessentially Star Wars about the ship frame.

This MOC is made purely from 2x 10497 Galaxy Explorers with some pieces to spare. I spent a long time with many phases of the model: first by making it with real bricks completely from my head (2 weeks couple hours each day, then by replicating the design digitally into Studio which as some of you probably know personally takes forever, and then equally long is the process of creating instructions with sub builds and all that jazz. I probably will not get a return on my investment of time and energy (2 months of back and forth), even though instructions are for sale. Still, I feel like I've ranked up from a Padawan Studio user to a Jedi Knight level from the experience and the skills are useful for future creations.

I think in the future I will stick to making digital creations only up to medium sized MOCs as the ROI (return on investment) and the conservation of resources is much better.

I'm thinking of doing some quick parts swapping of the blue pieces and making it totally Star Wars themed because the frame is surely proven (stable) and in place. You can find out more details about the MOC here at my flickr: https://flic.kr/ps/3mi3BG

Overall, I'm just pleased to reach the finish line on this project because I have a lot of other Star War universe ships I want to build.

I would love to know your thoughts and comments!

Thanks,

The Brick Shipyard

Main%20image%20montage%20for%20Classic%2

1280x960.JPG

1280x960.JPG

1280x960.JPG

1280x795.jpg

Thanks for the compliments McMurder_them_! Photoshopping these images is still not the best for me, but with Apple's new update on the Ipad, the quality has improved quite a bit!

That is beyond awesome. Would love to see a Millennium Falcon in this style!

A very fun idea executed quite well! The original trilogy and classic space have always had a similar feel to me. 

I especially like how you didn't just throw classic space parts and colors onto the Nebbie. You made it a definitive classic space version, with the cockpits and bay, while maintaining the feel of the Nebuleon-b. Had the classic space line continued to this day, I could definately see something like this releasing under the name "galactic deployer" or "lunar frigate" or something.

Thank you all for sharing your thoughts on my build! Yes - I tried to be discreationary as I applied the colored pieces in areas that made sense, reserving the blue for the front, upper sections where the eyes would be drawn too. Mechanical, exposed areas work best with the light gray of course. Yellow and black really pops against it all in Classic Space style. "Lunar frigate" is a great name! :) The internal technic beams make this form possible, because otherwise regular brick and plate attaching would not be enough.

I may try some other SW vehicles, such as the Falcon, in this mash up. Thanks for the encouragement!

Also, thank you Eurobricks team for the frontpaging! First time that's ever happened to me on a Lego website, so a real honor. Much appreciated!

- The Brick Shipyard

Edited by Brickshipyard

This is really excellent all round, not just the Medical Frigate but the X-Wing and TIE Fighter too. It's amazing how you've made it all happen with just the parts from two sets. I especially like how the Classic Space theme continues with the figs eg. Threepio's yellow torso and the orange torso for the X-Wing pilot (plus all the other characters).

Thanks Max and Viper! You'd be surprised how many parts are leftover after combining two galaxy explorers into this MOC. Enough to fill half a large ziplock bag, but of mostly generic pieces. My goals was to make a Nebulon-B for $200 or less (for budget and sales reasons) and the galaxy explorer fulfills that role handsomely. This price point is also about the top end I would want to pay for an official, system scale Neb-B, excluding a UCS version of course.

Someone took apart his 2022 galaxy explorer :D

I really like it at this scale. Doing the iconic window shot as just an open panel also has an extremely "classic space" feel to it :D

Thanks Guybrush and heh, yes indeed I took at least one G.E apart (wasn't easy!). Much better to start from fresh out of the box :).

Re the open panel shot: your classic space feel perspective is interesting and I never thought of it like that before. I needed the window open for the X-wing to park with a bit of nose sticking out, but now that you mention it - open vistas (platforms with panels, etc) could be found on quite a few official C.S. sets. I just remembered that iconic scene from the Empire Strikes Back and said "alright, I have just enough room to swing this shot". Turns out I did.