WickNole

[WIP] Medieval layout and keep

This is still a work-in-progress, but at least now it is ready enough to be shown so I could get the criticism and comments. :)

The keep is far from completion at this stage; but all the main techniques for wall angles are done and tested, so only need more bricks now to build up. Also, I wanted to do a "proper thickness" walls to make it all more "realistic", but this also requires doubling the piece count. Probably, the result is still not thick enough, but I'll keep it as is.

52724048456_c3a6b83951_c.jpg

52724048466_ff6e70227c_c.jpg

52724523103_f418c6fdd4_c.jpg

52724303864_32619d6b86_c.jpg

Edited by WickNole

Wow this looks very impressive, great techniques and super realistic, chapeau! I would love to see more pictures of your progress! I am also a fan of thicker walls for castles, one stud deep is just super unrealistic. Of course, having realistic depth is nearly impossible if you don‘t want to completely blow up your budget, but two studs is the very bare minimum in my opinion.

Thank you for sharing! :)

Going to be quite the keep and supporting structures. I see lots of details outside the walls, but inside almost seems too clean.

Very nice build! How large will the base of this scene be? Looking forward to see how it turns out :classic:

On 3/4/2023 at 5:04 PM, LegoAUT said:

I am also a fan of thicker walls for castles, one stud deep is just super unrealistic. Of course, having realistic depth is nearly impossible if you don‘t want to completely blow up your budget, but two studs is the very bare minimum in my opinion.

No matter how thick the walls are - I'll still be using only double amount of bricks (slightly more as there be some internal connections between "layers" - but there won't be many). Only in places where there be cross-section - I'll have to close the gap between inner and outer fall faces. So it is not that bad for budget. :)

On 3/6/2023 at 4:52 PM, Feuer Zug said:

Going to be quite the keep and supporting structures. I see lots of details outside the walls, but inside almost seems too clean.

Any suggestion how the inside can be detailed? My only idea at the moment is to cover the ground with cobblestone - there is a small test area visible.

4 hours ago, Atorsoy said:

Very nice build! How large will the base of this scene be?

At the moment our group layout is 14baseplates long and 3-4 baseplates wide.

On 3/8/2023 at 2:17 AM, WickNole said:

Any suggestion how the inside can be detailed? My only idea at the moment is to cover the ground with cobblestone - there is a small test area visible.

Cobblestones would do well. Maybe a few potholes? Something to break up the monotony of one color and level. Vary the plates in height and shade.

Still quite a long way to go, but there is a significant milestone achieved - the keep is nearing its exterior being completed. Therefore, decided to share this in-progress pic.

53207509609_30b8e323ea_c.jpg

Edited by WickNole