PxChris

New Rumored Pirate Set in July 2023

11 hours ago, Lion King said:

Why talkig about the box art? It’s just a box….

The box plays an important role in the LEGO experience, at least was playing. Even today I remain absolutely amazed by the boxes of the 80s and 90s (the ones I knew). A real craftsmanship was at work with a locker box that you could open and where you could discover various elements encrusted in a plastic mould, a very illustrative background sometimes increased by a narrative context inviting to invent his own stories and what to say about the back of the boxes that was richly provided with alternative models... All this contributed to a strong invitation to travel.

A certain magic that now is lost. From this point of view, packaging of today are a real regression. There is a semblance of a retro vibe with the boxes of "recent old sets" and I quite like it. But how can you love today's boxes, especially those aimed at an adult audience? They are unparalleled laziness and above all very ugly. Just see the one that got leaked from the next UCS X-Wing, what an horror!

Edited by Khargeust

I can not wait for some pictures or at least a concept art (similar to what they did with 10305).

When do you think we can expect those ?

1 hour ago, odinbricks said:

When do you think we can expect those ?

Apparently there will be an official announcement sometime during June.

But there's no guarantee the LEGO Group will employ the same marketing strategy for this set so don't expect anything!

1 hour ago, odinbricks said:

I can not wait for some pictures or at least a concept art (similar to what they did with 10305).

When was the concept art/picture for 10305 Lion Knights' Castle released?

1 hour ago, Mister Phes said:

When was the concept art/picture for 10305 Lion Knights' Castle released?

The castle has been teased in the video annoucement for the Delorean in March 2022 the 17th (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POMPopOphZA) and Promobricks revealed details via a sketch a month later in April 2022 the 20th (https://www-promobricks-de.translate.goog/lego-10305-ritterburg-alle-details/144159/?_x_tr_sl=de&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=wapp). It was not an official concept art or picture but a drawing from an "eye-witness".

Edited by Khargeust

Apparently per the leakers the set will be released July 4 and retail for $215 USD.

7 minutes ago, PxChris said:

Apparently per the leakers the set will be released July 4 and retail for $215 USD.

I hope that's true. That's a much more accessible price than the castle. At that price though, I think we can definitely count in it not including any baseplates.

I also think there will be no baseplate. I guess they'd use the style of the Barracuda Bay with the big curved slopes and slopes for the beaches and medium azure plates for the ocean. Then add some Ideas Lighthouse rockwork and voilà, the brickbuild base is finished :pir_laugh2:

215$ / 215€ sounds good :thumbup: By principle i don't buy sets for more than 100€ but for Eldorado fortress at 215€ i would make an exception. I am happy that the rumored price is not 400€ or 500€ like in other themes.

2 hours ago, Khargeust said:

It was not an official concept art or picture but a drawing from an "eye-witness".

Thank you for that additional information! :pir-thumb:

43 minutes ago, Yperio_Bricks said:

215$ / 215€ sounds good :thumbup:

Is that how the pricing works based on the exchange rate?  Currently US$215 is 196.87€

3 hours ago, PxChris said:

Unfortunately, I rather see this set at €250 given the global price increase since the summer of 2022. 21322 Pirates of Barracuda Bay had an equivalent number of pieces and was sold for €200 in 2020.

But I hope I'm wrong! The cheaper the better, because we definetely need to constitute a new empire for the bluecoats ! :pirate:

Edited by Khargeust

24 minutes ago, Khargeust said:

Unfortunately, I rather see this set at €250

Which would make it around US$270... or US$55 more expensive than the alleged price.

1 hour ago, Mister Phes said:

Is that how the pricing works based on the exchange rate?  Currently US$215 is 196.87€

Worth noting that the €215 includes sales tax (minimum 15%, average 21% across the EU), whereas the $215 doesn't, so it's not a totally fair comparison, and for LEGO they probably generate more revenue from a set sale in the US, although possibly higher cost of sale, and so on and so on.

2 hours ago, Mister Phes said:

EDIT: I see the question was already answered :thumbup:

Edited by Yperio_Bricks

Okay, box lovers, you can keep your boxes but I don’t keep mine. I just thought it’s odd to keep numerous countless boxes and they easily consume spaces in the house. But I understand your points and I apologize if I sound rude in my previous post here. 

Anyways, I’m very excited about the next Pirates set. I never own a pirate ship or fortress or any set of the past pirate themes,which I regret missing out.  

Edited by Lion King

8 hours ago, Lion King said:

Okay, box lovers, you can keep your boxes but I don’t keep mine. I just thought it’s odd to keep numerous countless boxes and they easily consume spaces in the house.

There's not much on Bricklink at the moment, but an Eldorado Fortress box sells for around $30. 

So might that be an incentive to sell boxes, rather than discard them.

Old boxes are only valuable because most of us threw them out, so box lovers should be thanking us for making them worth something. :pir-tongue:

1 minute ago, Sir Dano said:

Old boxes are only valuable because most of us threw them out, so box lovers should be thanking us for making them worth something. :pir-tongue:

Thank you, Sir Dano - your sacrifice has been my gain! :pir-grin:

But that's also a good point, something only gains value because it become rare and has demand, so you would need to store your unused LEGO boxes for a period of time before they begin increasing in value.

And like @Lion King mentioned, boxes take up valuable space which not everyone has.

On 4/4/2023 at 11:05 PM, Mister Phes said:

I wish you all the best in achieving that goal!

But are you talking about classic sets Pirate or just LEGO sets in gerneral?

I keep all my Lego boxes haha no matter the theme

Does anyone think that this set being released may potentially hinder the release of pirates sets in the BL designer program in February?

51 minutes ago, kuzyabricks said:

Does anyone think that this set being released may potentially hinder the release of pirates sets in the BL designer program in February?

100%
 especially with the pirate gwp, and the pirate play set.

3 minutes ago, thewatchman said:

100%
 especially with the pirate gwp, and the pirate play set.

That kind of sucks considering we're being STARVED of pirate sets. I know we have this awesome fort coming out and 31109 is widely available but I want more DX

1 hour ago, kuzyabricks said:

Not likely. We got the Castle in the Forest BDP set and the Lions' Castle 90th Anniversary set, so there is precedent for LEGO releasing similar sets around the same time. Additionally, I believe that most if not all of the BrickLink Pirates entries focused on the pirates themselves (rather than the imperials), so LEGO may not see a pirate island and an imperial fort as competing products (especially since the BDP sets are a limited release). 

I could see it either way. On the one hand, potentially more competition, so they feel like offering a pirate set would be at odds with their own Imperials set.

On the other hand, BDP sets don't get new prints, and there are relatively few pirate torsos in production, but they can include new torsos, and possibly other prints, from the Imperials set into a BDP set.

Although with either argument, the limit of 20,000 units of the BDP sets means that it likely won't be compared in any way to general LEGO set releases.

I don't think BDP has any impact on the world outside hardcore AFOLs and i'm sure the overwhelming majority of Lego's customers don't even know BDP exists :shrug_confused:

26 minutes ago, Yperio_Bricks said:

I don't think BDP has any impact on the world outside hardcore AFOLs and i'm sure the overwhelming majority of Lego's customers don't even know BDP exists :shrug_confused:

You're quite right, but the question here is whether the people at Bricklink who are selecting the final five projects will take into account upcoming LEGO sets and whether that influences their decision to include or exclude pirate sets. That part of the process isn't really influenced by the majority who don't know the program exists.