PxChris

New Rumored Pirate Set in July 2023

In the late 18th and early 19th centuries, infantry usually wore white gaiters, meaning full white legs would be more historically correct. But the officers usually wore boots, so those could have dual moulded legs.

However the gaiters could be black as well.

I'm sorry to say but tonight I dreamt the set contained new updated Red Coat minifigures. I had hoped for more of the 2015 Blue Coats but you can't have everything you wish for, I guess.

I can also say that the set was "jungly" and contained some bright colours. To my and many's disappointment the set resembled the 1997 6281 Pirates Perilous Pitfall the most and not the Eldorado Fortress.

5 hours ago, Captain_SoyBeard said:

I'm sorry to say but tonight I dreamt the set contained new updated Red Coat minifigures. I had hoped for more of the 2015 Blue Coats but you can't have everything you wish for, I guess.

I can also say that the set was "jungly" and contained some bright colours. To my and many's disappointment the set resembled the 1997 6281 Pirates Perilous Pitfall the most and not the Eldorado Fortress.

Just curious as to how often your dreams come true? I'm hoping it's not very often. :)

5 hours ago, Captain_SoyBeard said:

I seriously can’t tell if you are speaking in code.

The new DREAMZzz spaceship has the cutlass and pistol in dark pearl gray. That must be what we're getting in Eldorado Fortress. It also has the bicorne in black with no printing. I don't know whether that indicates Broadside will not have printing. We'll see.

13 hours ago, Captain_SoyBeard said:

How have I never seen that 6281 set before??

10 minutes ago, HothFan1987 said:

How have I never seen that 6281 set before??

I believe the final 1997 wave of Pirates sets was only released in North America (although there may have been some exceptions). A lot of themes back in the mid-90s had limited-release waves like that, such as the Aquaraiders subtheme of Aquazone, the Dark Forest subtheme of Castle, the Roboforce subtheme of Space, and all the Unitron sets except the Monorail Transport Base.

11 minutes ago, Aanchir said:

I believe the final 1997 wave of Pirates sets was only released in North America (although there may have been some exceptions). A lot of themes back in the mid-90s had limited-release waves like that, such as the Aquaraiders subtheme of Aquazone, the Dark Forest subtheme of Castle, the Roboforce subtheme of Space, and all the Unitron sets except the Monorail Transport Base.

All of which conspires to make it very difficult to complete my collection of every different yellow face print on a limited budget. At least for the expensive heads released in the UK (such as the admiral from Eldorado Fortress) I can cling to the outside hope that it happens to turn up in a job lot. Unfortunately the sort of person who will pay to import Dark Forest or 1997 Pirates sets from the US is also the sort of person who keeps their collection organised, so the chances of these things appearing in a job lot are almost zero - and I can't afford to be buying individual heads from the US on a regular basis!

1 hour ago, Aanchir said:

I believe the final 1997 wave of Pirates sets was only released in North America (although there may have been some exceptions). 

I think I've seen a few indications that some were available in certain Asian markets as well; it'd be worth investigating.

1 hour ago, Alexandrina said:

All of which conspires to make it very difficult to complete my collection of every different yellow face print on a limited budget. At least for the expensive heads released in the UK (such as the admiral from Eldorado Fortress) I can cling to the outside hope that it happens to turn up in a job lot. Unfortunately the sort of person who will pay to import Dark Forest or 1997 Pirates sets from the US is also the sort of person who keeps their collection organised, so the chances of these things appearing in a job lot are almost zero - and I can't afford to be buying individual heads from the US on a regular basis!

Fortunately the 1997 pirate sets didn't have any exclusive head or torso prints, so you're in the clear there at least. Best of luck with the rest though; it's crazy how expensive some of these rare parts are getting.

1 hour ago, TalonCard said:

Fortunately the 1997 pirate sets didn't have any exclusive head or torso prints, so you're in the clear there at least.

Unfortunately I think this and the other Armada heads might have been; pretty well every listing I've seen on Bricklink is from North America and most of the European ones are above market rate. Not nearly as bad as this one though - there's currently two Bricklink listings for the head outside North America (one in New Zealand, which is of no help to me in terms of postage!) and none for the figure. And of course the sets are far too expensive to buy just for one minifig head!

At least it's possible to get those though. I'm dreading trying to find this one. £350 for the minifigure is the cheapest way of getting it right now apparently!

Oof, Chief was the first one who came to mind when you mentioned the project--now that's an expensive head!

As far as the Armada figures go, they're definitely not exclusive to the US; the '96 wave was released in the UK. But they're bound to be quite a bit rarer than the other Pirate heads, as you've discovered, since they were only out for two years at the most and probably in much smaller numbers than most of the Pirate sets. If you don't have any of them your best bet is probably to find a "good" deal on an Armada Flagship since it includes all three heads and trade or sell the rest of the parts--you'd probably make back a good bit of what you'd paid for it initially since that set has a ton of rare/unique parts. 

How many heads do you have in your collection currently?

Thanks for sharing the information about the 1997 wave. Very informative! I hadn’t seen any of those sets before. 

On 5/3/2023 at 1:34 AM, Alexandrina said:

At least it's possible to get those though. I'm dreading trying to find this one. £350 for the minifigure is the cheapest way of getting it right now apparently! 

Concerning the crazy aftermarket for Chief, I recommend R. R. Slugger's video, starting form 5:58 :

On 5/3/2023 at 6:19 AM, TalonCard said:

How many heads do you have in your collection currently?

391 according to my spreadsheet, though I still need to go through and update it with some CMF heads from the last two regular seasons. I've got about 80% of the early era heads (up to and including 1996 releases; it's just a few things like the old Admiral head in both colour variants tripping me up (I actually found the head of the female pirate from the first wave in a job lot that cost me £20 for 5k pieces, which was a bit of a steal tbh). Where I fall down is in the recent years, especially the period where CMFs existed but I wasn't buying Lego, as obviously I didn't get those ones when they were new and some of them fetch a premium now. I do have two fleshie-only heads in yellow which I think were misprints, shipped from Denmark, but I see those as a bonus to the collection rather than trying to find every fleshie head in yellow.

Suffice to say, I won't be breaking the bank for Chief until I get the other 850 missing heads!

2 hours ago, The Reader said:

Concerning the crazy aftermarket for Chief, I recommend R. R. Slugger's video, starting form 5:58 :

That was a fascinating watch, thank you! :pir-wench:

19 hours ago, Alexandrina said:

That was a fascinating watch, thank you! :pir-wench:

You are very welcome. R. R. Slugger's videos are extraordinary!

On 4/17/2023 at 8:03 AM, jodawill said:

I'm not a fan of female soldiers, but I would like to see more actual female minifigures. There's never been enough of them in historical themes.

My feelings exactly. Trying to reach gender parity by making half of the soldiers female is pretty lazy in a set with a historical theme given how few good historical civilian minifigs we have.

If we take Lion Knight's castle as a reference, there were 22 minifigures and around 2/3 were Lion and Falcon Knights and Forestmen. So there are far less civilians than military personell. (And one skeleton is included in the 22 minifigures as well.) So if Lego wants to reach gender equality it is only possible when there is female military personell. Yeah, maybe that reflects society (~50%/50%) in general much better than the military but i for one am completely fine with it. It takes only seconds to swap some minifgures heads and i guess people have a lot of spare heads as well. Generally i like that we have a much better representation of mankind in todays sets.

It will be interesting to see how they will do it in Eldorado Fortress. In the classic set there were only soldiers and pirates, no civilians and no female minifigures. As was written before, some daughter or niece of the Gouverneur is always possible, like in the classic comic. Or some noble lady or female artisan. Or there will be female soldiers like in the castle. We'll see :thumbup:

5 hours ago, Yperio_Bricks said:

It will be interesting to see how they will do it in Eldorado Fortress. In the classic set there were only soldiers and pirates, no civilians and no female minifigures.

There were quite a few notable female pirates, so I suspect they could get a good gender balance across all the roles and still be historically accurate. Plus modern media tends to show a more diverse set of pirates (in a way that doesn't really happen in 'real-life' castle-type settings, but does in LotR RoP for example).

So with the set rumored to release in July, when would you guys think would it be officialy revealed? If the rumor is true after all :pir_laugh2:

1 hour ago, Yperio_Bricks said:

So with the set rumored to release in July, when would you guys think would it be officialy revealed? If the rumor is true after all :pir_laugh2:

I would gues it’s June 1, hopefully.

realistically, I think it will be revealed sometime mid to 2nd half of June, if the release date is indeed July 1st. Of course, leaks are most likely to happen at least a few days before that, maybe even accidental by Lego/retailers themselves (which happens more often than one would think)

Since the Barracuda Bay set is meant to be a continuation to the pirates line and supposedly aged up some of the characters, shown by adding some gray to Redbeard's beard,
might they do yet another slightly different version of him in this one, as this is an actual remake?

So will this be a fort or just a regular armada hang out?

Edited by eldiano

1 minute ago, eldiano said:

So will this be a fort or just a regular armada hang out?

Signs are pointing towards it being a direct remake of Eldorado Fortress.