PxChris

New Rumored Pirate Set in July 2023

3 minutes ago, TalonCard said:

Dang, that's a cool sticker. I'll have to pick up that sticker sheet from Bricklink.

Are we sure about the translation? Looks more like Redbeard than Brickbeard to me.

Not having any knowledge of the Ninjago writing system, I would say yes. The initial sign is the same as the sixth, which matches BrickBeard. Also the second and ninth signs match (BRickbeaRd).

41 minutes ago, TalonCard said:

Are we sure about the translation? Looks more like Redbeard than Brickbeard to me.

I manually translated it (via those alphabet sheet pictures available) 

I gotta admit the face does look a lot like the "Classic" smiley captain face seen on Redbeard and Ironhook

But the 2009 Pirate wave was all about Brickbeard, from the Brickbead Bounty set, the Captain Brickbeard figure being in a lot of products, and the golden hook being a clue setting it apart from Redbeard/Ironhook.

Edited by TeriXeri

To what extent is this sticker a harbinger of the future reboot of the Eldorado Fortress? Can't it just be some decor?

5 minutes ago, Khargeust said:

To what extent is this sticker a harbinger of the future reboot of the Eldorado Fortress? Can't it just be some decor?

Probably unrelated, just an easter egg poster of another LEGO theme, like there have been Bionicle, Ogel, Znap, Rock Raiders references in a couple sets the last 2 years. (and many more)

Edited by TeriXeri

7 hours ago, Mister Phes said:

Aye, let's hope that's not the set getting rereleased.

In reality,  6253 Shipwreck Hideout is an inferior remake of 6270 Forbidden Island.

One of my top three sets of all time. Still have it. And my children love it too. Such a good set in almost every way.

But I hope they don't remake it, as I felt like Barracuda Bay was the modern interpretation of it, and I'd definitely prefer something different.

1 hour ago, RichardGoring said:

Such a good set in almost every way.

Please elaborate why that is...

In my opinion it looks unfinished.  Like the design was 75%  complete and then the designer was told time's up!  Let's go with what you've got and release it as an "exclusive" to distract from the fact its half-baked.

A hefty structure in the middle with some stringy extensions on either side.

There's barely enough ship hull to sell the concept and that rope bridge goes nowhere. No stairs... No ladders... just a crows nest... what?  The pirates are supposed to climb up the mast like monkeys?

There's too much brown - it's like it needs more jungle.  Granted it's meant to be a shipwreck on the shore, but similar sets have always incorporated a bit of greenery, whether that be palm leaves or an island base plate.

I'll concede it looks somewhat decent with artwork in the background to provide context to its setting, but it doesn't hold up very well on its own.

image.png

3 hours ago, Mister Phes said:

Please elaborate why that is...

In my opinion it looks unfinished....

Oh, I'm sorry, I meant 6270 is amazing. I agree with you entirely on 6253. Not that great at all.

But I love 6270. A fun build experience (especially especially as a child), such fabulous fun to play with, looks pretty good given the piece count, but also pretty objectively, has a nice balance of structure with other bits with accessories. And then for me it has huge nostalgia, and now my kids play with it and love it too, suggesting it is somewhat timeless and so a perfect LEGO set.

21 minutes ago, RichardGoring said:

Has a nice balance of structure with other bits with accessories.

Aye, that's common  among the classic sets.

I also think the base plates makes those sets feel more substantial because they provides a solid foundation and frame the design.  Whereas, the more modern sets, particularly the 2015 forts, seem smaller, flimsy and "scattered" with their modular approach.

The old palm leaves also contribute to making the classic designs seem brighter and fuller.  It's probably more the way they're presented than the building techniques employed.

Agreed about all 6253's faults, but at the same time I do appreciate that it (like Barracuda Bay or some of the 90s pirate hideouts) is recognizably built from a shipwreck.

6270 never quite appealed to me in part because it felt more like a crumbling fort/outpost with some pirate ship parts like a mast and crow's nest arbitrarily slapped on. It also didn't really seem to make a whole lot of sense for the island's shape itself, what with the staircase that descended right into the water (maybe that was meant as a place for the rowboat to dock, but if so, a pier or jetty would have helped make that a lot clearer).

Perhaps 6270 looks better in real life than it ever did in pictures, but even as a kid who grew up with LEGO Pirates posters advertising all the sets out there, it was never one that really spoke to me. It probably didn't hurt that by the time of my KFOL years, there were other pirate hideout sets like 6273 Rock Island Refuge and 6279 Skull Island with clearer logic behind their layout/composition — strategic defenses, cargo hoists, places to dock boats, places to store loot, purposeful use of terrain, etc.

That's the sort of logic that I feel is epitomized by Barracuda Bay, which both makes it clear what shipwreck parts became each element of the structure, and gives each of those elements a discernible purpose in their new role as a pirate stronghold. So I definitely agree with @RichardGoring that it satisfies my expectations for a modern, AFOL-targeted "big pirate hideout", and would prefer that future AFOL-targeted exclusives focus on other sorts of LEGO Pirates subject matter — most obviously, colonial fort/outpost/harbor sets like the current rumors, but also remote "treasure islands", imperial naval vessels, smaller/more agile classes of pirate ship, rafts, etc.

Frankly neither set is all that great, but 6270 has the far better photography, which makes me inclined to like it more.

12 hours ago, Aanchir said:

6270 never quite appealed to me in part because it felt more like a crumbling fort/outpost with some pirate ship parts like a mast and crow's nest arbitrarily slapped on.

That's exactly what it's supposed to be...  The pirates found abandoned fort ruins in the jungle so they use whatever flotsam they could salvage to turn it into a hideout.

But thank you for articulating your reasoning.

12 hours ago, Aanchir said:

By the time of my KFOL years, there were other pirate hideout sets like 6273 Rock Island Refuge and 6279 Skull Island with clearer logic behind their layout/composition

As Forbidden Island was the first large pirate hideout/base the designers were still figuring out how all the new pieces created for the Pirates theme could work together.... and they were also inventing the new pieces during the design process.  That's quite an ambitious undertaking!

But once they had they library of new parts, it's understandable why 6273 Rock Island Refuge and 6279 Skull Island are more intuitively designed - they could focus more on the design itself.

Then we get to 6281 Pirates Perilous Pitfall...

8 hours ago, Sir Dano said:

Frankly neither set is all that great

Please elaborate why neither is all that great... :pir-grin:

25 minutes ago, Mister Phes said:

Please elaborate why neither is all that great... :pir-grin:

Nah, I'm good. 80s and 90s lego had the best set photography is all I wanted to say.

33 minutes ago, Sir Dano said:

80s and 90s lego had the best set photography is all I wanted to say.

Agreed. :pir-huzzah2:

3 hours ago, Sir Dano said:

Nah, I'm good. 80s and 90s lego had the best set photography is all I wanted to say.

Not only this, but if I may add it had the best durability as well.  New lego briks I find are extremely fragile.

32 minutes ago, odinbricks said:

Not only this, but if I may add it had the best durability as well.  New lego briks I find are extremely fragile.

I have so many old torsos that are broken that I don't think Lego's quality has gone as downhill as people like to claim.

I'm a little confused by people's speculation on whether the set is coming or not. It is. The former Lego employee confirmed it and his prediction of that swamp speeder with vaughn was indeed correct so I have no doubt about the fort. I don't think we should be worried about that at all.We also know that the soldiers are gong to be blue coats, it was already figured out previously in this thread as that same employee stated that the set includes multiple blue coat torsos with a similar figure count to the original set. I'm more concerned about how large the buildings of the fort are going to be as it's only 2k+ pieces meaning if a lot of them are used on terrain we might end up with minimally decorated/fleshed out buildings :((((

7 minutes ago, kuzyabricks said:

I'm a little confused by people's speculation on whether the set is coming or not. It is. The former Lego employee confirmed it and his prediction of that swamp speeder with vaughn was indeed correct so I have no doubt about the fort. I don't think we should be worried about that at all.We also know that the soldiers are gong to be blue coats, it was already figured out previously in this thread as that same employee stated that the set includes multiple blue coat torsos with a similar figure count to the original set. I'm more concerned about how large the buildings of the fort are going to be as it's only 2k+ pieces meaning if a lot of them are used on terrain we might end up with minimally decorated/fleshed out buildings :((((

The ultimate troll move would be if it has no buildings and the whole set is another continuation to the classics with the fortress reduced to rubble by the BSB's cannons

56 minutes ago, kuzyabricks said:

I'm more concerned about how large the buildings of the fort are going to be as it's only 2k+ pieces meaning if a lot of them are used on terrain we might end up with minimally decorated/fleshed out buildings :((((

I think a current comparison to a raised rockwork "baseplate" would be a set like Motorized Lighthouse, which is also on a 32x32 baseplate, and does use 4 BURP ("big ugly rock piece") to get the raised look.

Not saying BURP will be 100% needed , with 2500 pieces, but I rather see some of those instead of large wall panels to the fortress.

But overall I do prefer brick built, instead of being over dependant on panels/burp.

The main entrance keep of Lion Knights Castle did it 100% brick built, and certainly still is an impressive tower, even if it's just half the set (I'd assume around 2500 pieces out of the 4500)

Actually I think I'd even prefer the folded approach like Lion Knight's Castle has, an Eldorado that could fold open to reveal a dungeon/cave could be nice use of what used to be unused hollow space under the raised baseplate.

Edited by TeriXeri

15 hours ago, Mister Phes said:

Then we get to 6281 Pirates Perilous Pitfall...

Not that I've ever seen it in the flesh, but I always thought 6281 looked kinda cool! :pir-wench: When I was a kid with no money and access to Bricklink, compiling wildly optimistic wishlists of long-discontinued sets, 6281 was always near the top! :pir_laugh2:

I recently got my hands on the original Eldorado Fortress for the first time and having built it, and seen it in the flesh, I'm even more excited for the remake. The other modernisations - Barracuda Bay, Lion Knights' Castle, Galaxy Explorer - were all based on sets that I'd never actually owned. That didn't mean I found them any less cool but I didn't have the true comparison. Knowing what the Eldorado Fortress actually was, I can't help but feel that if Lego do it even a mote of justice we'll have an all-time great set.

4 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

I think a current comparison to a raised rockwork "baseplate" would be a set like Motorized Lighthouse, which is also on a 32x32 baseplate, and does use 4 BURP ("big ugly rock piece") to get the raised look.

Not saying BURP will be 100% needed , with 2500 pieces, but I rather see some of those instead of large wall panels to the fortress.

But overall I do prefer brick built, instead of being over dependant on panels/burp.

The main entrance keep of Lion Knights Castle did it 100% brick built, and certainly still is an impressive tower, even if it's just half the set (I'd assume around 2500 pieces out of the 4500)

Actually I think I'd even prefer the folded approach like Lion Knight's Castle has, an Eldorado that could fold open to reveal a dungeon/cave could be nice use of what used to be unused hollow space under the raised baseplate.

My dream as well! There is a really impressive MOC done by Dreambrickstudios of elderado (pretty sure that’s his name) and there is an amazing system of tunnels. Really hope it opens up like a doll house with secret passage ways like the castle

6 hours ago, kuzyabricks said:

I'm a little confused by people's speculation on whether the set is coming or not. It is. The former Lego employee confirmed it

What was his name?  What date did he confirm it?  And who did he confirm it to?

5 hours ago, Alexandrina said:

Not that I've ever seen it in the flesh, but I always thought 6281 looked kinda cool! :pir-wench: When I was a kid with no money and access to Bricklink, compiling wildly optimistic wishlists of long-discontinued sets, 6281 was always near the top! :pir_laugh2:

I quite like the set, although many disagree.

I've got two of them!

Pirates Perilous Pitfall was released 4 years  into my Dark Age, so unlike Forbidden Island and Rock Island Refuge, it's not a set I remember from childhood.

In fact, I didn't discover it until 2002 when I reemerged from my Dark Age and began learning about all the pirate sets released post 1993.

And for whatever reason, it took me a while to get to the 1997 sets, but when I first it, Pirates Perilous Pitfall was a pleasant surprise!

I wasn't expecting a set that large to be released so late in the line - how did this manage to escape me for so long?

But that's more than 2 decades ago now, so that particular set evokes quite different feelings of nostalgia.

Guys, guys, they're re-doing the old soccer theme with 40634. This set is definitely coming then. Surely pirates is a more popular classic theme than soccer! 

2 hours ago, Samarth said:

Guys, guys, they're re-doing the old soccer theme with 40634. This set is definitely coming then. Surely pirates is a more popular classic theme than soccer! 

Otherwise I will loose all hope in legos customer base.