PxChris

New Rumored Pirate Set in July 2023

On 3/1/2023 at 5:35 AM, azog said:

3. A new Bluecoat ship (The Iron Ram?): In the comics, Governor Boradside used a massive flagship of the Imperial navy called The Iron Ram. We never saw this as a set and now would be a great time to release it. Not only did we never receive a massive bluecoat ship like the redcoats did in 2010 but it would counter the Black Seas Barracuda nicely from 2020. This would also follow Castle and how they did the classic Black Falcon and Lion Knight Cursader remakes in multiple years. 

:pir-love::pir-thumb:

On 3/3/2023 at 7:49 AM, F1stzz said:

I'm here for those who mentioned the Ironram :pir-thumb:

That be Azog.

On 3/1/2023 at 2:35 PM, azog said:

3. A new Bluecoat ship (The Iron Ram?): In the comics, Governor Boradside used a massive flagship of the Imperial navy called The Iron Ram. We never saw this as a set and now would be a great time to release it.

Babyteeth/Kwakly submitted a concept for a ship along those lines to LEGO Ideas a while back.  It reached 10K supporters but failed the review process.

Click here for more images

3 hours ago, Mister Phes said:

Babyteeth/Kwakly submitted a concept for a ship along those lines to LEGO Ideas a while back.  It reached 10K supporters but failed the review process.

It's really sad that this ship failed because it was quite beautiful! However, maybe that's why it failed? Because Lego is giving us it this summer?

55 minutes ago, azog said:

It's really sad that this ship failed because it was quite beautiful! However, maybe that's why it failed? Because Lego is giving us it this summer?

You're a lot more optimistic than I am! :pir-grin:

But let's hope you're right.

On 3/6/2023 at 3:46 AM, Samarth said:

The consensus on sundry FB groups (based on what I've been reading, so this is totally anecdotal) seems to be that the set isn't selling well. That's why it was on discount relatively quickly after initial launch. 

This is a little late, sorry, but- I'm not sure this holds, because from what I remember the Galaxy Explorer was put on discount almost the day after being released at stores like Walmart, well before any solid sales data could be established. It's likely that these discounts may reflect less on the sales of the item in question and more that regional brick and mortar retailers lacked confidence in the item's ability to sell even before it came out.

Keep in mind this is all speculation- perhaps we're all wrong and the sales were part of a 90th anniversary sales technique, or the GE may have been intended as a loss leader or something else along those lines. Ultimately the only people who can truly determine this are the ones who set sales expectations for sets like, Barracuda Bay, and the Castle in the first place, and it's rare we ever get access to information like that.

Edited by Canticleer blues

4 hours ago, Canticleer blues said:

Keep in mind this is all speculation- perhaps we're all wrong and the sales were part of a 90th anniversary sales technique, or the GE may have been intended as a loss leader or something else along those lines. Ultimately the only people who can truly determine this are the ones who set sales expectations for sets like, Barracuda Bay, and the Castle in the first place, and it's rare we ever get access to information like that.

You raise very good good points!

I was beginning to feel I was being overly pessimistic for probing others about the impetus of their speculation.

I'm very much figures driven rather than the old "Well, I could see The LEGO Group doing yaddy yaddy yada insert my own intrinsic reasoning which could far removed from the actual reason"

But fans sure do love to speculate so better not rain on their parade too much! :pir-grin:

I know there was speculation earlier regarding the Pirates of Barracuda Bay set. And while I understand that the set it based off of a concept of the Black Seas Barracuda, overall my impression is that it isn't an inviting set.

Granted this is just *my* speculation, so it might sound a little weird. But even when I was a kid, I loved the Pirates theme the most....but I almost completely avoided any shipwrecked based sets, mostly because I could create that "adventure" if I decided to. To me, it was far more interesting to have a fully designed ship, port, inhabited island and whatnot.

When I look at the POBB set, I see something that I would have probably done when I was younger. That isn't to take away from the impressive look of the set, but give me something a little better established, and if I decide to add a flair of story to that set, then let it be my own. It's kind of like the Pet Store with the guy painting wall, something that seems added that doesn't really add anything.

I really like that larger Caribbean Clipper though. I'd love to see more Imperial ships...maybe even an Armada ship.

On 3/10/2023 at 8:00 PM, Doddsino said:

I know there was speculation earlier regarding the Pirates of Barracuda Bay set. And while I understand that the set it based off of a concept of the Black Seas Barracuda, overall my impression is that it isn't an inviting set.

Granted this is just *my* speculation, so it might sound a little weird. But even when I was a kid, I loved the Pirates theme the most....but I almost completely avoided any shipwrecked based sets, mostly because I could create that "adventure" if I decided to. To me, it was far more interesting to have a fully designed ship, port, inhabited island and whatnot.

When I look at the POBB set, I see something that I would have probably done when I was younger. That isn't to take away from the impressive look of the set, but give me something a little better established, and if I decide to add a flair of story to that set, then let it be my own. It's kind of like the Pet Store with the guy painting wall, something that seems added that doesn't really add anything.

I really like that larger Caribbean Clipper though. I'd love to see more Imperial ships...maybe even an Armada ship.

I think PoBB is a great introduction set for new fans. On the aftermarket pirate ships cost an arm and a Lego so I was very thankful for PoBB. I personally don't have it in shipwreck mode but im glad I have the possibility to put it in either mode. 

I'd love a remake of El Dorado or the Trading Post, but I'd also really like a new faction over the Red/Blue coats from 2009-15.

I know the flags cost a fair bit, but the red and blue torsos are readily available, cheap, and still look good. A new colour, like orange or white, or even green coats to represent Armada would be lovely to see. I hope its not too troubling to pair them with the classic Soldier/Guard locations :pir-look:

No matter the faction, it'd be nice to see a Pirate raft trying to steal in and grab a treasure chest,with some lovely new torso designs. 

I decided not to buy PoBB at the time it was still widely available (a decision I regret) and would be okay if they re-released it. However I don't think it will be the case. 

I'm rooting for a big imperial flagship but I'm okay with a well-done fortress as well! Pirates, as well as other retired themes (especially Western) deserve some love

I also regret not getting PoBB but by the time I realised it would be retiring soon it was out of stock and never came back in. My own fault for waiting and not pulling the trigger. But an Imperial flagship or fortress I would buy on day one!

I scored my copy of POBB out of Poland off BL for just about 180 USD without the box. Was very lucky to have got it as it was never launched in India. 

• 21309: NASA Apollo Saturn V had a shelf life from 01 Jun 2017 - 31 Dec 2019
  • then it was re-released as 92176: NASA Apollo Saturn V with the following shelf life 01 Nov 2020 - 31 Dec 2022
  • 21313: Ship in a Bottle had a shelf life from 01 Feb 2018 - 31 Dec 2019
  • then it was re-released as 92177: Ship in a Bottle with the following shelf life 01 Jan 2021 - 31 Dec 2021

So the Saturn V had around 2,5+2=4,5 years on the shelf, Ship in a Bottle had around 2+1=3 years. 21322: Pirates of Barracuda Bay had only 1,75 year (01 Apr 2020 - 31 Dec 2021) on shelf's and was sold out several months so it seems a lot of potential buyers never managed to get it. All 3 sets are Ideas set as well and with the name "Vault" it makes sense it is a re-release of B-bay. I would prefer something new, but if it is a re-release I will probably buy a copy to keep in the box, so it will most likely sell a lot of sets with minimal effort from Lego :shrug_oh_well:

Vault can mean several things, not necessarily a re-release of an existing set that was available fairly recently. I think it looks more like the re-release of a classic or the release of a set that never made it to the shelves but where plans are in the drawer.

Edited by LegoAUT

The piece count as per the leak is very specific and also different from the piece count from PoBB which make me think this will
not be a re-release of  21322 but rather something different with similar size. The rest of the characteristics i.e. set number or price
do not guarantee that this is not PoBB but the piece count does .

Edited by odinbricks

I wouldn't mind if it was a rerelease of PoBB. Past rerelease have also had a different piece count from the original. I would get two, one to keep as an island form since my OG one is in ship form and the second copy I would make into an imperial flagship

On 3/8/2023 at 5:14 AM, azog said:

Fingers Crossed! :pir-triumph:

Thank you very much for the information! :classic:

A new Pirates set sounds great!

A re-release of POBB would be really disappointing. Instead I hope for either a new Imperial Flagship or a new Imperial Trading Post. Looking at the price, a ship seems to me more realistic than a harbor / fortress. But I'd buy both.

On 3/13/2023 at 12:35 PM, odinbricks said:

The piece count as per the leak is very specific and also different from the piece count from PoBB which make me think this will
not be a re-release of  21322 but rather something different with similar size. The rest of the characteristics i.e. set number or price
do not guarantee that this is not PoBB but the piece count does .

I was just thinking about this myself. 

EKnight

I don't know if there is any logic behind it but technically, PoBB was a 2 in 1 set (a ship and a fortress/outpost) so arguments can go both ways whether the new set (if it isn't a PoBB re-release) is going to be a ship or a fortress. That's a long way of saying that we probably can't make an educated enough guess at the moment :laugh: 

I'm rooting for a ship though. Bonus points if it's a massive imperial ship

11 hours ago, Alpha Draconis said:

PoBB was a 2 in 1 set (a ship and a fortress/outpost)

Well, technically Pirates of Barracuda Bay is a different class of structure...  I.e.  pirate island or shipwreck island.

Whereas, a fortress or outpost (within the LEGO Pirates theme) is generally a masonry structure pertaining to an Imperial faction.

So on that basis, a fortress is conceptually different to both a pirate island and a ship, in terms of faction, structure and aesthetic.

Therefore, is the question actually; will it be a ship, pirate island or fortress?

Or have I unnecessarily over-complicated things?  :pir-grin:

10 hours ago, Mister Phes said:

Well, technically Pirates of Barracuda Bay is a different class of structure...  I.e.  pirate island or shipwreck island.

Whereas, a fortress or outpost (within the LEGO Pirates theme) is generally a masonry structure pertaining to an Imperial faction.

So on that basis, a fortress is conceptually different to both a pirate island and a ship, in terms of faction, structure and aesthetic.

Therefore, is the question actually; will it be a ship, pirate island or fortress?

Or have I unnecessarily over-complicated things?  :pir-grin:

I guess we both went a bit overboard :grin: I doubt Lego thinks of this set with such level of complexity anyway

8 hours ago, Alpha Draconis said:

I guess we both went a bit overboard :grin: I doubt Lego thinks of this set with such level of complexity anyway

You are perhaps correct.  There was a period during 2020 when they were rejecting Imperial submissions from LEGO Ideas because apparently they "overlapped" with the Pirates of Barracuda Bay concept.

Whether that was the actual reason or just a convenient excuse remains unknown, but we made a fuss and that seems to have made them reconsider.  Or maybe it was merely coincidental!

On 3/17/2023 at 3:35 AM, Mister Phes said:

You are perhaps correct.  There was a period during 2020 when they were rejecting Imperial submissions from LEGO Ideas because apparently they "overlapped" with the Pirates of Barracuda Bay concept.

Whether that was the actual reason or just a convenient excuse remains unknown, but we made a fuss and that seems to have made them reconsider.  Or maybe it was merely coincidental!

I've been thinking. Going over the placeholder name for the set that includes the word "vault" I'll assume that the set will be based on an existing old set but modernised. And if we're talking about a location, what would be the most iconic location that would qualify? 

I didn't grow up with classic pirates, hence the question. After some googling I believe ether 6276 or 6277 are the most probable candidates. Is there any other set that would fit the bill?