PxChris

New Rumored Pirate Set in July 2023

Perhaps it will be a medium sized ship with a medium sized fort? the part count could be spread evenly to both. Just think of the possibilities. 

I'm very much on board with the thinking it's going to be Imperial related (Whether Blue or Red coat, hard to say. I prefer Red Coat, so finger crossed) Regardless, I gotta start putting money aside.

EKnight

OMG PLEASE BE TRUE!!!!! I've been planning on ordering extra part to turn my x2 31109 moc into an imperial flagship "clone". Should I bite the bullet and order like $60+ worth of parts or wait on this set? ( Parts mostly being masts, rigging, and some arches)

15 hours ago, Khargeust said:

Please, what is the meaning of "vault" in Vault D2C ? I looked in the dictionnary but didn't find something that stick or maybe I just miss something here. I'm French, sorry.

Some years ago the re-released a couple of sets ;
"LEGO opens vault to re-release 10268 Vestas Wind Turbine on Black Friday"
"LEGO Opens the Vault and Re-Releases the Huge Taj Mahal Set"

If this is similar it is probably a completely new model this time inspired by one or several classic sets:pir-sweet:

We may want to adjust our expectations a little; it's also possible this is "just" a re-release of the Imperial Flagship or Barracuda Bay, which would still be pretty great for anyone who missed out on those.

Yes the rumoured piece count doesn't quite match up but I wondered about a re-release of baracuda bay.  I know it hasn't been that long since it retired but given that it's original lifespan seemed quite short and coincided within when many countries had COVID restrictions perhaps they think they could draw more people in this time with it on display in shops etc.

I would honestly be pretty shocked if it's a re-release of PoBB or even a new standalone BSB.

Well, we're still gotta wait & see if source's info is legit, if it is — I'm rooting for an Armada Fortress :pir-devil:Imperial Armada faction has never been gifted with any kind of a decent base, lol, that 6244 thingy that's called "Armada Sentry" is a disgrace to Spaniards :pir-upset: That's my personal preference tho, in reality I highly doubt TLG would be taking any sort of inspiration from 6244, as it has been stated here already that the "Vault" tag rather means a new type of build based on some ideas from the previous iconic sets (obviously 6244 is nowhere near as iconic as 6276/7). So yeah, probably gonna be something like "Return to the Eldorado Fortress" or else, ofc if we're talking about a land based set. If the thing turns out to be a ship — I'm here for those who mentioned the Ironram :pir-thumb: The fact of the matter is, 2015 Pirates line has to be the only wave in which Imperials had no vessel whatsoever — this would be a great chance to compensate in a big way, IMHO. Overall, considering the bang caused by PoBB, The Lion Knights' Castle, remastered Forest Hideout & Galaxy Explorer, TLG needs to finally realise that not only videogame developers & movie creators can make huge profits out of nostalgic acts — toy manufacturers are able to do so as well, if only it's done right. We need a fourth reboot of the theme, we need the Armada to strike back with some fresh designs & astonishing builds, we need a new touch on the Islanders — and we need our beloved Blue/Redcoats back in their previous glory! Bring us Captain Foul & his right-hand man Culverin! Let us sail under Captain Ironhook's command again! Give Camilla a chance to meet Will Cavendish once more! All TLG has to do at this point is to dive deeper into their Pirate Vault & remember where it all began — and how it should be done. Ninjago is not your only theme with a great continuous storyline, TLG, as well as Star Wars is not the only one deserving some great builds — hoist the flags! :pir-triumph:

Edited by F1stzz

5 hours ago, PxChris said:

even a new standalone BSB.

Please! Not another pirate ship with red striped sails! scream2.png

3 hours ago, F1stzz said:

Well, we're still gotta wait & see if source's info is legit

That is correct.  As we don't have any alleged set images this rumour is a bit vague.

7 hours ago, Weil said:

Yes the rumoured piece count doesn't quite match up but I wondered about a re-release of baracuda bay.  I know it hasn't been that long since it retired but given that it's original lifespan seemed quite short and coincided within when many countries had COVID restrictions perhaps they think they could draw more people in this time with it on display in shops etc.

Yeah I always wondered about how a set like that could have a shorter lifespan then the 3-in-1 ship.

On one hand I realise they cannot pay out those % IDEAS royalties forever , Saturn V got re-released under a new Set number when it was extended, so a re-release of PoBB is certainly not out of the question, but if it's under Icons, not very likely, unless modified.

As for the other options, El Dorado Fortress seems likely, but personally I think Imperial Trading post makes a more complete set, and if kept at the same scale, really still seems doable with 2500 pieces, I mean, a raised baseplate can be emulated with large rock pieces, as even has been done with the Motorized lighthouse.

My biggest wish would be return of Islanders but that's probably the most complicated pirates theme faction to have return as it had a lot more complex printed raised baseplate + river , and things like the hair/horn parts and kahuka mask are very specific parts that aren't produced right now, not even the large palm leaf have been seen for 20+ years.

Of course if it's a re-imagination instead of a straight remaster , a raised baseplate doesn't need to be replicated, looking at Lion Knight Castle it's not a carbon copy of an old set, so a modern Fortress / Harbour, or Islander Jungle Island is certainly possible within modern designs.

Edited by TeriXeri

5 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

Yeah I always wondered about how a set like that could have a shorter lifespan then the 3-in-1 ship.

That was odd and most of the time it was sold out as well, starting to suspect they have broken a mould in the set so they could not make more of a specific part in it or something like that :def_shrug: E.g. the corn piece only came in two City sets with a 6 months shelf-life, it was also up on PAB for a while, but with a ridiculously high price so that is a suspicious part right there if you as me. Another example is the famous goat in 7189 Mill Village Raid, that set only had 6 months on the shelf's and some years later we find out the goat mould is broken :sceptic:

5 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

On one hand I realise they cannot pay out those % IDEAS royalties forever , Saturn V got re-released under a new Set number when it was extended, so a re-release of PoBB is certainly not out of the question

I still think the Ideas designer got paid for that, it belive they rather pay 1% Ideas royalties fee if a set sells like hot cakes instead of retiring it early and miss out on 99% of the money from the set. They did the same with the ship in the bottle, a lot afols (probably new to the hobby) asked for the sets so think that was the reason they brought them back :shrug_oh_well:

The fact that Lego Ideas apparently has been rejecting Pirates and Imperials themed contributions since a while back (according to some blog post) lends some credence to this rumour. The reason for rejections has been stated as too much similarity to an existing Ideas set, i.e. PoBB, even though that one has been retired since quite a while back. It could literally mean a re-release of PoBB, but might as well mean a similarly themed set.

If that is not the case, I don't really understand the rejections in Ideas. Other than Lego just being jerks, that is.

Honestly I wouldn't mind a rerelease of PoBB. I got it when it came out but I would maybe even pick up two copies, one to convert into an imperial flagship and the other to keep as the island

I still have an unopened second copy of PoBB along with my built set (currently in ship form, with the island portion stored away). The last thing I want from a D2C Pirates set is another Barracuda! That set was damn-near perfection. It's a shame that it didn't get a longer shelf-life, but it's been done perfectly this decade, we need some Imperial counterpart.

1 hour ago, PxChris said:

I still have an unopened second copy of PoBB along with my built set (currently in ship form, with the island portion stored away). The last thing I want from a D2C Pirates set is another Barracuda! That set was damn-near perfection. It's a shame that it didn't get a longer shelf-life, but it's been done perfectly this decade, we need some Imperial counterpart.

Island portion takes up soooo much space on my shelf and I have mine in ship form so it's literally just a barren island 🙄

Super hyped for whatever this is. I too, don't see the sense in re releasing POBB. I'm hoping for something along the same lines as the Lion Knight castle, but for pirates. I don't see it being a ship either. They've already done ships. I know the bluecoats didn't get a big ship but an El Dorado or Port Royal reimagining would be a lot more fun than any ship at this point. At least to me. 

This could be excellent, if true. Personally I'd love something from the Imperials to go along with my Caribbean Clipper and fight against the PoBB.

17 hours ago, Samarth said:

...I know the bluecoats didn't get a big ship but an El Dorado or Port Royal reimagining would be a lot more fun than any ship at this point. At least to me. 

I feel ya, m8 :thumbup: After all, it's been almost 30 years since we've got a great land based set for Imperials, that's ridiculous, honestly :pir-grin: "Armada" faction in particular has never even got anything resembling 6242 from 2009 wave, for example, which is a straight shame. So yeah, eagerness for Imperial fortresses is more than understandable & relatable :laugh: That being said, I still hope to see a decent pirate hunting warship for Bluecoats (and for Armada, why not?) down the road :pir-devil:

I am hoping euther for a Trading Post redesign with small trading ship or a Bluecoats  galleon. But honestly, Trading post or some port would be better, since the newest BSB is armless (without serious moding). It would be unfair to battle the ship without cannons (place to put them) ;)

On 3/2/2023 at 8:46 AM, Roebuck said:

Some years ago the re-released a couple of sets ;
"LEGO opens vault to re-release 10268 Vestas Wind Turbine on Black Friday"
"LEGO Opens the Vault and Re-Releases the Huge Taj Mahal Set"

If this is similar it is probably a completely new model this time inspired by one or several classic sets:pir-sweet:

I sincerely hope for re-release of the imperial flagship that I won't ever be able to pay.

But anything in the theme, minifigure scaled, would probably make me happy, especially if it has the same quality of PoBB

4 minutes ago, Yperio_Bricks said:

What do you guys think is the most iconic Lego imperial set? Eldorado Fortress?

Eldorado for sure, since it was the main fortress released along with BSB. :)

22 minutes ago, Yperio_Bricks said:

What do you guys think is the most iconic Lego imperial set? Eldorado Fortress?

Yes, for me it is the obvious one.

Is the potential release of this set a way for LEGO to "apologize" for not releasing a Pirates-themed set on its 90th birthday in 2022? Indeed, Castle was the winner and yet the Space universe was entitled to the superb set 10497. So why not honor third place with a little delay?

Edited by Khargeust

4 hours ago, Khargeust said:

Is the potential release of this set a way for LEGO to "apologize" for not releasing a Pirates-themed set on its 90th birthday in 2022?

Do we have any other indication that The LEGO Group is remotely sorry for not releasing a Pirates-themed set on its 90th birthday in 2022?

Their priority is releasing sets which generate the highest income, they probably care little for the plight of fans of a theme with a small market share.

I have a feeling that they discontinued POBB because... It didn't sell well. I think even the Galaxy Explorer (arguably the space equivalent of POBB) is currently facing the same problem and that's why it'll be retiring soon. The sad reality is, the unlicensed themes (whose core audience is us) simply don't seem to do as well as SW, HP, etc. or even speed champions. You vote with your wallet (see what they're saying about the Rivendell set... More LOTR will come only if this sells well) and the rapid expansion in the sheer variety of sets means people's budgets are spread too thin, and away from the core unlicensed themes we all grew up with. 

Edited by Samarth