-DoNe-

[MOC] Olton Hall 8-wide (Updated w/ coach)

Pictures of the complete trainset in the comments!

Here is my overhauled Hogwarts Express plus passenger car finished in Dark red and Pearl Gold! I’m very happy with how the model turned out, first time building a train MOC (or a train at all) in 10 years so it was a bit tricky at times but it ended up just as I wanted it.

This is my first attempt at a 8-wide train and I must say it is a scale I much prefer. It makes the model look much better scaled to both minifigures and track. This scale also gives a lot more room for an interior on the passenger car, in this instance the car is fitted with compartments which I will show once the model is built in real bricks.

Lego Hogwarts Express MOCLego Hogwarts Express MOCLego Hogwarts Express MOCLego Hogwarts Express MOCLego Hogwarts Express MOC

I also want to point out it uses 100% and no stickers just available printed parts.

Now to the fun part, ordering roughly $400 worth of parts.

Edited by -DoNe-
Title

Gorgeous model
Nicely done on every part of the engine and tender, I love the details of the wheels(wheel frame) 

2 hours ago, Darkkostas25 said:

Gorgeous model
Nicely done on every part of the engine and tender, I love the details of the wheels(wheel frame) 

Thanks a lot! The tender was quite tricky as I wanted the gold-stripe to be brick built, and the height gives a offset that can only be “filled” by using brackets.

43 minutes ago, TuffTuffTuff said:

Wonderful. This is what LEGO should have done.

Do you plan to add a carrigae?

I will have at least one carriage (the one seen in the last picture). More than that will probably be tough to display. 

Real nice in dark red !

Only the boiler in 4 wide looks at a 8 wide Lok a little bit small.

Torsten

35 minutes ago, brummer said:

Real nice in dark red !

Only the boiler in 4 wide looks at a 8 wide Lok a little bit small.

Torsten

Thanks!

That was also a concern of mine, my hope is that the flex-tube that is supposed to run alongside the boiler adds a bit of "visual"-width.

3 hours ago, -DoNe- said:

That was also a concern of mine

No worries; in fact, if TLG had played it out right with their latest HoE ^^, they would have made a piece/pieces for matching exactly that radius.

I am not into HP at all, but this is really a very nice rendition of the HoE.

Congratulations on your achievement!

Best,
Thorsten

On 3/1/2023 at 9:20 PM, Toastie said:

No worries; in fact, if TLG had played it out right with their latest HoE ^^, they would have made a piece/pieces for matching exactly that radius.

I am not into HP at all, but this is really a very nice rendition of the HoE.

Congratulations on your achievement!

Best,
Thorsten

I was considering using the technique using cheese-slopes (as I've used in the first part of the boiler) but decided against it as this design allowed for the 4x4 round plate in pearl gold to add the striping that are quite prominent in the Olton Hall Locomotive.

...and thank you!

On 3/1/2023 at 8:16 PM, GoHabsGo said:

Very nice build

Thank you!

The bricklink orders have been coming in and the train is close to complete! A few pieces to still be added but 97% complete! Very happy with how it turned out and love the proportions 8-wide gives!

Lego Olton Hall LocomotiveLego Olton Hall LocomotiveLego Olton Hall LocomotiveLego Olton Hall Locomotive

It was still impressive in digital form, but seeing it brick built is even better. Gorgeous engine! It hurts knowing this is what lego could have made.

13 hours ago, ivanlan9 said:

Sweet!  Vastly superior to the $500 official Lego monstrosity. ...

Haha thanks, Im going to build a display-stand for it as well so in the end it will have sort of the same "set-up" as the official set. 

11 hours ago, Ferro-Friki said:

It was still impressive in digital form, but seeing it brick built is even better. Gorgeous engine! It hurts knowing this is what lego could have made.

Thank you! It was an absolute joy to put together! Although quite expensive given the dark red and pearl gold, the tally came up to about $155 for 1150 parts.

Brilliant Hall class locomotive. The switch to dark red is befitting this movie gem. As mentioned, it works better than the most recent version by LEGO. Is it motorized? Nice work including details down to the brake shoes!

$155 is cheap at today's prices.  Other teakettles have cost their builders far greater amounts--and some of the kits go for $1000 and up.  Yes, Lego could have made this engine cheaper--but it wouldn't have the quality of this build, owing to compromises made for production reasons.

Also, they didn't:  they offered something for $500 that uses plain old red bricks.  Which is incompatible with everything.  Ugh.

22 hours ago, Feuer Zug said:

Brilliant Hall class locomotive. The switch to dark red is befitting this movie gem. As mentioned, it works better than the most recent version by LEGO. Is it motorized? Nice work including details down to the brake shoes!

Thank you very much for the kind words! Its not motorized as it stands. Fitting a motor in the locomotive would be tricky but most definitely doable. The problem is the batterybox. The tender is filled up with brackets and modified bricks to get the correct half-a-plate height required for the snot-built sides on the tender, so there is no space in there. So my plan would be to make 2 passenger cars and motorizing one of them. 

18 hours ago, ivanlan9 said:

$155 is cheap at today's prices.  Other teakettles have cost their builders far greater amounts--and some of the kits go for $1000 and up.  Yes, Lego could have made this engine cheaper--but it wouldn't have the quality of this build, owing to compromises made for production reasons.

Also, they didn't:  they offered something for $500 that uses plain old red bricks.  Which is incompatible with everything.  Ugh.

Its not to bad, but probably the most Ive spent on a single smaller sized model. The only bricks I used from my existing collection was the various wheels, that did save a pretty decent amount of money at least.

Hey that looks awesome, great job.

Would you consider sharing instructions if you have them or the renders? 

I would love to build it.

On 4/8/2023 at 10:51 PM, Gornallizer said:

Hey that looks awesome, great job.

Would you consider sharing instructions if you have them or the renders? 

I would love to build it.

I have considered making instructions, however I don´t know how to do it...

On 4/19/2023 at 6:24 PM, -DoNe- said:

I have considered making instructions, however I don´t know how to do it...

Yeah no Idea myself, I think it depends on what software you used to make it. I think there are tutorials for the Stud.io and the bricklink one.

If you ever figure it out, let me know, I would definitley pay you for the instructions. It looks amazing.

Failing that even just a list of the parts you ordered, so I could have a crack at it would be fantastic.

Magnificent! Love handles on doors and the overall design of the coach! (cool design of the underneath of the wagon)

Oooh, the passenger car is pretty. You even managed to make it a proper corridor car (slender minifigs only).

3 hours ago, Darkkostas25 said:

Magnificent! Love handles on doors and the overall design of the coach! (cool design of the underneath of the wagon)

Thank you for the kind words!

1 hour ago, Feuer Zug said:

Oooh, the passenger car is pretty. You even managed to make it a proper corridor car (slender minifigs only).

Haha yes indeed. I realize I never posted the picture from the side on the interior. There you can see they have all of 1 + 1/4 studs worth wiggle room. :wink: