TalonCard

1991 Japanese Pirate commercial

Thanks to @PxChris on Instagram for finding this 1991 Japanese LEGO Pirate commercial. Redbeard rescues Will from the Eldorado Fortress, and they escape to Rock Island Refuge with a treasure map. I've seen most of the old commercials online dozens of times, so stumbling across a new one is a real treat. You all should check it out! Redbeard straight up punches a bluecoat with his hook hand, surprisingly violent for a LEGO commercial!

This is also a classic promo...

And a test to determine whether Instagram posts can be embedded in the forum.

2 hours ago, Yperio_Bricks said:

The ape's name is Spinoza? :pir_laugh2:

It sure is!  In some regions he was named in the catalogs:

image.png

Since the subject has come up, and since I just posted this to my Instagram again, I thought that placard I made that for my convention display about some of the main named characters in the Pirates line might be enjoyed by the members here!

Spinoza was also featured in both the comic and the story books.

History of Classic LEGO Pirates_Page4

I had the Golden Medallion comic as a kid and enyojed it very much back in the day. It's been 30 years since then and i don't remember if the monkey had a name in Germany. Anyway, i am happy that i kept one of the monkeys till today. It's one of the very few Lego things/parts i kept from my childhood.

2 hours ago, Yperio_Bricks said:

I had the Golden Medallion comic as a kid and enyojed it very much back in the day. It's been 30 years since then and i don't remember if the monkey had a name in Germany. Anyway, i am happy that i kept one of the monkeys till today. It's one of the very few Lego things/parts i kept from my childhood.

His name in the German comic is "Speedy".

16 minutes ago, PxChris said:

His name in the German comic is "Speedy".

Thanks! Now i have to say that "Spinoza" sounds much better :pir_laugh2:

On 3/2/2023 at 3:48 PM, PxChris said:

Since the subject has come up, and since I just posted this to my Instagram again, I thought that placard I made that for my convention display about some of the main named characters in the Pirates line might be enjoyed by the members here!

Spinoza was also featured in both the comic and the story books.

History of Classic LEGO Pirates_Page4

This is so cool, missed out on this post and the commercial above. Love it!

20 minutes ago, Doddsino said:

I never knew Redbeard's first name was Roger. 

I'm not sure that it's meant to be a first name. I think he just has two different names in alternate Lego universes. He was called Captain Roger in the UK and Captain Redbeard in the US. He's called "Red Beard" in the US version of The Golden Medallion. I imagine the UK version of the comic probably called him Roger. The Ladybird books also called him Roger. As far as I've seen, the US magazines always called him Redbeard.

The game LEGO Legacy: Heroes Unboxed recently retconned Redbeard's first name as "Roger" as a trivia fact, so he is technically Roger Redbeard now, in at least one universe. I used to prefer the idea that Roger was his last name and Redbeard was an obvious nickname like "Blackbeard" was for "Edward Teach". But I also kinda like the idea that Redbeard is his actual name and that he comes from a long line of Redbeards. (There's some internal LEGO Island backstory that tracks Redbeard's descendants in the future too, including a chap named Xavier Red Beard who stole a rescue ship meant to pick up the Rock Raiders. :pir-laugh: )

Roger is indeed the name used in the UK version of the comic, and since that translation was the basis for the US version, they missed a panel where he's called Roger instead of Redbeard, so it's technically also there as well. (I picked up on this as a kid, so I always figured part of his name was Roger.) Hilariously it's not the same bit of dialogue where Will is mistaken for the captain, since he has no beard, red or otherwise. (Of course, Redbeard also spends the entire comic running around without much of a red beard, so maybe its use as a last name makes more sense after all.)

1 minute ago, TalonCard said:

The game LEGO Legacy: Heroes Unboxed recently retconned Redbeard's first name as "Roger" as a trivia fact, so he is technically Roger Redbeard now, in at least one universe. I used to prefer the idea that Roger was his last name and Redbeard was an obvious nickname like "Blackbeard" was for "Edward Teach". But I also kinda like the idea that Redbeard is his actual name and that he comes from a long line of Redbeards. (There's some internal LEGO Island backstory that tracks Redbeard's descendants in the future too, including a chap named Xavier Red Beard who stole a rescue ship meant to pick up the Rock Raiders. :pir-laugh: )

Roger is indeed the name used in the UK version of the comic, and since that translation was the basis for the US version, they missed a panel where he's called Roger instead of Redbeard, so it's technically also there as well. (I picked up on this as a kid, so I always figured part of his name was Roger.) Hilariously it's not the same bit of dialogue where Will is mistaken for the captain, since he has no beard, red or otherwise. (Of course, Redbeard also spends the entire comic running around without much of a red beard, so maybe its use as a last name makes more sense after all.)

That's interesting. I wonder if that's why the US version is missing a few words in random spots. Maybe those errors don't appear in the UK version?

On 3/2/2023 at 9:56 PM, Mister Phes said:

It sure is!  In some regions he was named in the catalogs:

image.png

6235 was my first Pirate set and also my first non City set.

18 minutes ago, jodawill said:

That's interesting. I wonder if that's why the US version is missing a few words in random spots. Maybe those errors don't appear in the UK version?

It's possible; I think @PxChris posted scans of his copy of the UK version awhile back if you're interested in comparing. The US version had many other edits made to localize other names (they missed one instance of "Darkshark" too) and spellings as well as simplifying some of the dialogue and removing some of the more obviously British phrasings. With all the changes on top of it being a translation of what was probably the Danish original, a few words gone missing here and there wouldn't surprise me.

Edited by TalonCard