Murdoch17

1920s farm house and car - real world 43217 ('Up' house) heavy MOD - finished 3/11/23

Spoiler

52691753860_43c49288d7.jpg

Well, it certainly wasn't easy but I managed to reverse engineer most of set 43217 - 'Up' house (seen above in spoiler) and add a back to it using just two box pictures. I added a back half and raised the build by a brick and a plate.

52735226985_4a40144875_z.jpg

Unfortunately, I just couldn't figure out the roof from the set or the original bay window. The former just got swapped for a brick-built roof, while the latter was removed and replaced with something simpler after much stress.

52734812766_64ae6bbb87_z.jpg

The new rear half. It had it's issues trying to get everything to work. But it's good enough for me. The house folds open and even wraps around the chimney as much as possible. (The odd-size flue sticks out into the back half's space a bit)

52735292513_194e6f9edf_z.jpg

The lower floor features a living room, foyer, kitchen, and dining room while the upper floor features a bedroom. The first floor worked out well design-wise, but the second floor is an absolute mess due to all the supports / arches / beams needed to hold the roof together. Speaking of the roof, both sections aren't very pretty, but it works... at the cost of taking a whole bunch of upstairs space on the inside, as you can see.

52741327620_7f4eb0832b_z.jpg

This vintage car was heavily modified from a model by BricksAA and these free MOC instructions over on Rebrickable.

52741169844_5c81e3d227_z.jpg

The car features a spare tire hanging at the back of the vehicle.

52741169854_f149ac874c_z.jpg

The roof is removable to seat the three figures on the inside.

EDIT 3/11/23:

Car photos added!

Thoughts?

Edited by Murdoch17

33 minutes ago, Volt01 said:

Another amazing build, it seems you build houses as good as you build cars really good.

Thanks @Volt01, but I can't claim total credit.

52691753860_43c49288d7.jpg

However, this upcoming Lego set was the basis of my model. I will say it took a hell of a long time to rebuild it digitally from just the front box and back of box pictures! I originally thought it was 16 studs wide (It's actually 18 from left to right sides) and had to start over at one point. Sure, the back is 100% mine and some of the furniture it also me too. (40586 - Moving Truck GWP provided a bunch of ideas too.)

Edited by Murdoch17

19 minutes ago, Arjo said:

good job! and good luck:) any idea how much the parts are going to cost you?

Thanks @Arjo! Basically, about $100.

The whole story: I found about 85 of the 758 parts already, and what is left costs a little about than $95 (US) after shipping and handling from three stores. The actual total price will be higher though, as they started adding tax on all orders placed across the USA in January of this year. (It used to be on a state-by-state basis, but now it's universal.) Plus, they sadly can't predict how much tax will be. From a store literally right up the road from me about five minutes I ordered from in January, it cost me $3 in tax - about as much as the order itself!

(I kind of got on my soap box there. Sorry!)

Edited by Murdoch17

3 hours ago, Poodabricks said:

Imagine putting this is a city. It would go very well being just in a random neighborhood. 

Good ideas @Poodabricks! It could either sandwiched between two modern skyscrapers (kind of like the 1940s apartment building from the movie 'Batteries not included'), or a whole bunch of them in suburban format!

Edited by Murdoch17

This tree model will (eventually) go in the front yard of the house which was ordered today.

52720224349_6c9b6843f1_z.jpg

The one thing I can't build well is trees. I never have, and probably never will build them good enough for my tastes. This tree is taken from Medieval Market Village (10193) and slightly modified to bring it up to date. Sure, it looks fine at this angle, but look at it side-on and it looks like a half-finished fake Christmas tree... even after my best efforts to make it look good.

Oh well. I built steam engine very well, and those are pretty hard to design for most people, while other people build trees that make mine look like twigs stuck in dirt yet can't build trains... You can't master everything, I guess!

This vintage car was heavily modified from a model by BricksAA and these free MOC instructions over on Rebrickable.

52721877983_2e6f9b0348_z.jpg

The car will be purchased at a later date to go with the house model that was bought on March 1st.

52721393116_bf605cc9ed_z.jpg

The car features a spare tire hanging at the back of the vehicle.

52721393126_879a9cb5e8_z.jpg

The roof is removable to seat the three figures on the inside.

On 2/26/2023 at 2:04 PM, Arjo said:

good job! and good luck:) any idea how much the parts are going to cost you?

I just looked up how much it cost to purchase the bricks last Wednesday: after shipping from two stores it was $75.10 (US) for the 467 bricks I need to complete the model. The model should be done in real life by Tuesday or so.

Edited by Murdoch17

Not too bad in the grand scheme of things. Looking forward to seeing pics "in the brick" :)

On 3/5/2023 at 1:53 AM, Arjo said:

Not too bad in the grand scheme of things. Looking forward to seeing pics "in the brick" :)

Thanks @Arjo! Ask and you shall receive:

52735226985_2e8bed3a1e_z.jpg

Three real world photos added for the house added to the first post! (car coming soon)

Edited by Murdoch17