evancelt

[COR-FB] Attempted Jailbreak, Fort Stockton, Wullham

Francis Goge had been nabbed by Corlander authorities the previous week. He was caught redhanded smuggling goods into Wullham without paying the requisite duties to the harbormaster.

Now, six days later, Goge lay in shackles in the cells at Fort Stockton in Wullham. Though promised a fair trial, his brothers didn't pay that much heed. He was guilty and everyone knew it.

A jailbreak was needed - and soon! The Goge brothers conferred with one another and decided that Fort Stockton was quite impenetrable from the land approach, so they threw together a quick raft and attempted to sneak near the building where their brother was held.

It wasn't going well.

SPLASH! A cannonball missed their raft by less than a meter. A detachment of redcoats ran down the dock and opened fire.

bent-fort.jpg

------------------

OOC: This build started as a way to play with brick bending to make fort towers. It was also a fun chance to make a nougat beach and incorporate sand red plates into the fort wall in an attempt to recreate the classic pirate panels.

The brick-bending tower technique:

Spoiler

5855B0DA-7B83-474B-AD34-30842419DE91.jpg

Fun little scene! Love the brick bending tower technique. Haven't seen that before. It creates a cartoonish effect!
Also love the splash in the water, and I'm surprised by the nougat beach. Looks good!

Great action diorama! I like the angled construction of the walls.

Supposedly, the raft is a fireship. The Goge brothers are Battle-hardened men of steel. :pir-triumph:  In close combat they are superior to the sissies in redcoats. I'm pretty sure they'll free Francis Goge.

:pir-sweet: Love it, the classic style had and Will always be the best. The illegal brickbending is Nice , and you are always welcome  to flee  to the searats of corrie-leadership makes a fuss about  it

Very nice! I also had that raft as a kid. Like the canon and splash as well, those pirates better hurry ;) Fortunately they have a map and keep smiling even under heavy fire.

I was wondering how you'd make the brickbending work, hiding the awkward edge behind a wall like that was a clever way to do it!  It looks good, though I'd love to see it incorporated more seamlessly (which would probably be a ton of work! but would really mess with the eye I think...).  Nougat sand is really nice!

On 2/26/2023 at 1:11 PM, Professor Thaum said:

Your daughter is right ! The walls look wrong !

😁

:thumbup: :pir_laugh2:

Nice sea and beach and clasic nostalgia effect though! And damn on those US cannons! We were issued the non-engraved, shooting ones! Plenty of fun, zero accidents though!

Edited by blackdeathgr

2 hours ago, Third Navigator said:

tower which was large bottom looks heavy, though this port is not so big

Very true :pir-huzzah2:

Thanks guys! Was fun to just use regular old smiley faces

A blog post is well underway!

On 2/26/2023 at 7:32 PM, evancelt said:

SPLASH! A cannonball missed their raft by less than a meter.

Well, I'll be - that's 6257 Castaway's Raft!

Any particular reason for using an existing set rather than a custom build raft?

1 hour ago, Mister Phes said:

A blog post is well underway!

Well, I'll be - that's 6257 Castaway's Raft!

Any particular reason for using an existing set rather than a custom build raft?

Thanks! The figures and cannons in this build are childhood ones I recovered from my sister's house this past fall. While I'd love to be able to say the raft is  also a set from my childhood, it isn't. In this build I was trying to incorporate classic pirates nostalgia and wanted a classic pirate raft! So I looked up a picture of it on Google and made a semi-faithful representation of 6257 from spare parts :pir-huzzah2:

2 minutes ago, evancelt said:

Thanks! The figures and cannons in this build are childhood ones I recovered from my sister's house this past fall. While I'd love to be able to say the raft is  also a set from my childhood, it isn't. In this build I was trying to incorporate classic pirates nostalgia and wanted a classic pirate raft! So I looked up a picture of it on Google and made a semi-faithful representation of 6257 from spare parts :pir-huzzah2:

It's quite faithful to the original - the main difference is the minifigures.