Sign in to follow this  
TeddytheSpoon

[MOC] Clone and droid vehicles - latest addition: Droid STAP

Two of the first MOCs I created since diving back into the hobby a few years ago were an AT-RT and BARC speeder. Since they were designed mostly in a digital environment, and with considerably less practice than I have now, they were long due an upgrade. So now I've done that, I figured it was as good a time as any to share them here!

Although these were my own design to start with, I don't think there's anything particularly revolutionary in the construction of the two. So to spruce them up a bit, I decided to add some lights!

52707972887_729c64398d_c.jpg

Fitting the LEDs didn't require much in the way of changes relative to my first attempts, which now look... Well, let's just say I'm much happier with these new versions. The AT-RT pretty much only had its front armour plating changed, but the BARC speeder went through three or four different iterations before I settled on the version you see here.

Both were designed around the 501st colours to start with, since these have been the easiest to acquire recently. That said I made sure the colours could be swapped out for other legions, such as the 41st Elite Corps...

52684297309_119757235a_c.jpg

...Or the 91st Recon Corps. (yes, these photos do kind of suck. Sorry!)

52705311240_29a0532a10_c.jpg

In theory, the 327th Star Corps (pale yellow) and 7th Sky Corps/212th Attack Battalion (orange) colours should also be possible. There are probably more colour options but these are the ones I'm most familiar with.

Unfortunately I don't have the right parts in orange right now to equip my faves in the 212th, so instead I made them a Crab Droid to fight against. You're welcome, I guess, fellas...

52626417526_5a68c872e5_c.jpg

I have a few more plans for Republic and Separatist/Trade Federation army accessories, so I may add to this thread in future (read: I will necro-bump this thread when I eventually get around to it). But for now, I hope you like them!

Edited by TeddytheSpoon
Wow, I made a lot of typos here. Oops.

Those models look great! Do you happen to know the code for the LEDs you used?

8 hours ago, TeddytheSpoon said:

(yes, these photos do kind of suck. Sorry!)

Bro, these are way better than any photos I've ever taken

Very nice AT-RT and BARC both, but that Crab Droid is by far the best I've ever seen. I love the way you got the second "eye" to be smaller than the first, as well as the claw usage.

3 hours ago, ForgedInLego said:

Those models look great! Do you happen to know the code for the LEDs you used?

I don't have the exact code, but the place they're from is Game of Bricks. I bought a couple of the Aston Martin Speed Champions kits, which has a decent range of LED colours. Most of their kits are very reasonably priced, and they are quite fiddly (especially with small builds like these), but the quality is great I've found.

3 hours ago, YourLocalB2 said:

These look incredible, do you have plans to sell instructions?

Not at the moment. I did have instructions for my first versions, but they got nixed when my PC died last year. I may do some breakdown pics though.

2 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Very nice AT-RT and BARC both, but that Crab Droid is by far the best I've ever seen. I love the way you got the second "eye" to be smaller than the first, as well as the claw usage.

Yeah, the size difference was one of the main things I wanted to do with that. In an ideal world they'd be trans-red, but they actually look better in red than I thought they would.

Thank you for the kind words everyone!

Edited by TeddytheSpoon

I figured my droids needed a bit more than a crab droid to help their cause, so I've bolstered their forces with a couple of STAPs!

52757846348_8ddf2e4bc4_c.jpg

Nice and simple build, with only 20-odd pieces. I'm particularly pleased with how the top bit of the STAP came out. The lower half should probably be a bit sleeker, but them's the breaks. At least this way it can be made in CIS colours as well (mostly, anyway - a mixture of dark blue, blue and black). I think Trade Federation brown is a bit more becoming though, especially as a TPM apologist!

Edited by TeddytheSpoon