Sign in to follow this  
Jiesdeo

Sabre Island wins Brickset poll on which classic set users would want to see revived for a GWP

Sabre Island has won the (purely for fun) Brickset poll on which classic set should be revived for a GWP with 17% of the votes. Whether you like GWPs or not, let's hope Lego takes note that there is a desire in the community for pirates/imperials.

image.png

It's great to see Sabre Island on top of the votes :pir-huzzah2: It's one of my two favorite imperial sets, the other being Lagoon Lock-Up.

Spoiler

I hate GWPs though :ugh:

Would be nice to see Sabre Island even as a gift with purchase, could give us something more for the time being. :pir-yoda:

9 hours ago, Jiesdeo said:

Whether you like GWPs or not, let's hope Lego takes note that there is a desire in the community for pirates/imperials.

The demand has been well and truly proven on LEGO Ideas with at least half dozen pirate-themed submissions reaching 10K, including; a few large blue Soldier Fortresses, a modern Caribbean Clipper, Armada Port, etc.

This article is a bit dated now but it details some of the 10K pirate-themed submissions which have been rejected by the LEGO Ideas Review Team.

5 hours ago, Marooned Marin said:

though, they can avoid unnecessary redesign phase and simply make a deal with @SleeplessNight for his version HERE:pir-grin:

This would be great! :pir-stareyes:

But looks too hefty for a Gift With Purchase - gotta economize that part count for these "free" gifts.

It got my vote. I only have the original Caribbean Clipper and a few smaller bits from my childhood, and would love one or two more things to provide support against Barracuda Bay and my original pirates.

13 hours ago, Mister Phes said:

This article is a bit dated now but it details some of the 10K pirate-themed submissions which have been rejected by the LEGO Ideas Review Team.

What a depressing read. Regarding the closing remarks in that article:

Or do they secretly have future plans and wish to avoid conflicts of interest?

Since that was written in 2021 and we are now in 2023, that doesn't seem likely (or at least there should be something really soon, but there are not even rumours).

A closer look at the poll results:

image.png

1. 6265 Sabre Island - 814 votes
  2. 6067 Guarded Inn - 774 votes
  3. 6755 Sheriff's Lock-Up - 519 votes
  4. 6350 Pizza To Go - 423 votes
  5. 5938 Oasis Ambush - 378 votes
  6. 6923 Particle Ioniser - 349 votes
  7. 6898 Ice-Sat V - 329 votes
  8. 6034 Black Monarch's Ghost - 247 votes
  9. 6594 Gas Transit - 243 votes
  10. 4940 The Granite Grinder - 207 votes
  11. 6155 Deep Sea Predator - 182 votes
  12. 6410 Cabana Beach - 149 votes

Thank you very much for the information! :classic:

Since in 2022 and 2023 we have gotten GWPs from Classic Castle and Classic Space, a Classic Pirates GWP ist overdue and imo very realistic to be released this year. And If the big Icons Pirates set in July was a ship, I could very well imagine a re-designed version of Sabre Island to come as a GWP with it. Only if the set was a harbor / fortress, I would see the chances for an updated Sabre Island very low, but could much more imagine a re-designed version of some of the smaller Pirates treasure islands or rafts.

8 hours ago, Brickander Brickumnus said:

Me too! :pir-murder:

Aye, more or less another exclusive set which is not available to everyone who may want one.

GWPs are generally pretty affordable because so many people just happen to get one they aren't interested in. I was able to snag up something like ten of the Forest Hideouts for reasonable prices. (At the time, it wasn't guaranteed that I'd be able to get more forestmen minifigures through PAB.)

The biggest issue I have with GWPs is that I just really enjoying being able to buy small sets in the stores. I miss the days when I could walk into a department store for some unrelated reason and walk out with some small set that's super awesome. The only equivalent experience I've gotten in about a decade has just been the collectible minifigures, and now I won't be able to do that either because they'll be in boxes. I have to be more strategic in my purchases now, budgeting for large sets, looking for deals online, etc. I miss the impulse purchases.

On 6/29/2023 at 2:40 PM, Follows Closely said:

Do we know when this is going to b made available? August 1st would be perfect!

It won’t. It was just a fun / fan survey.

I wonder to what extent LEGO can take this survey into account when choosing hypothetical future GWPs from the classic themes.

As Eldorado Fortress is going to make a come back, I don't see them doing a Sabre Island GWP reboot although It would make perfect sense... No more than a Guarded Inn because It will be included in the next Medieval Market reboot if we trust the blurry leak that should be released next year I hope.

Maybe an Adventurers or Western set for the next GWP after Majisto's. I personally voted for the Sheriff's Lock-Up, but maybe we'll see both themes making a comeback in large sets in the next years. If they continue to surf on the nostalgia for classic stuff, I don't see how they could ignore the demand. Hope.