Sign in to follow this  
ks6349

Condition of opened Lego box

I have a habit of keeping used Lego sets in its original Lego box which is opened, but the problem is, dust and dirt will accumulate quickly over time, which in turns get into the bricks inside. One possible solution to reduce dust is to wrap the whole box with plastic wrap for food but it is so unfriendly to the environment. I am thinking about sealing the box opening with plastic tapes which won't use up too many tapes, I personally don't mind the condition of a Lego box but will the plastic tape mark left affect the value of used sets so much in the secondary market? What do you think?

Sometimes tape can cause more damage to a box than anything else. The glue decays over time and leaves a bad residue and can affect the printing ink and cardboard of the box, sometimes even lifting the printed layer away and transferring it to the plastic of the tape. Other plastics can also affect cardboard, even when not glued in to place, again the plastic decays over time and leaves stains and residue. This is why Mylar Bags are used for Comic Books, the plastic will not damage the quality.

If you want something kept in high grade condition, it may be worth while looking into what is available for collectors and fans of certain toys. The market is good these days, so manufacturers and smaller projects produce all kinds of packets to keep many sizes of boxes in good condition.