Redrado

[MOC] Siemens Velaro high speed train (Renfe S103/DB ICE 3)

Hi everyone! 

This is my MOC of the world class high speed train Siemens Velaro, which originally started operations with Deutsche-Bahn as the ICE 3. Since I’m Spanish, I made it in Renfe’s livery, as they have a few units of them. 

CD7-BF545-EC6-A-48-B7-9-D3-B-B694-C80-FC

A464398-F-AFB6-4358-8255-0-A03072-D6-F9-

As of the moc, it’s a 7 stud wide recreation as my other train MOCs, with some pretty interesting techniques with hinges (the smaller ones). The nose isn’t 100% accurate, but with the weird shapes of the Velaro, I can’t complain! I know that the cockpit windows’s curved slope pieces aren’t available in trans-black (made by Lego at least) but they can be replaced with normal cheese slopes. Also did it in the Eurostar and DB liveries. 

C8608-DCA-7-F0-F-451-E-BA80-04-FAA4-ABDD

628325-F5-0-DE2-4267-AC17-55-A0-CE273309

Edited by Redrado

Looks nice! Good use of wedges and slopes. Cool bonus that you have tried out the other liveries as well.

Maybe you would like to lower the windows on the sides with 1 - 2 plates to give them a more correct placement.

And you could perhaps put in the 3rd headlight under the windscreen with a jumper and 1x1 trans tile.

But still a cool build!

I still can’t get over how good the nose looks! You did an amazing job at capturing the shape of one of the most iconic and reliable European high-speed trains. Now that I examined it a little closer, I have a couple of nitpicks.

Have your considered separating the magenta stripe from the gray one above by one plate and making the lower magenta stripe two plates tall? I know it would mess up the brilliant way the stripes bend downwards at the front but I think it would look a bit more accurate. Also, only the second and second-to-last coaches have a pantograph, the third and third-to-last ones only have a “hump” that I guess serves to meet the height difference to the adjacent car in a more aerodynamic way.

By the way, have you thought about designing the cafeteria car? I know it looks pretty much the same way the other coaches do but with different window and door placements, I just love the way you can tell what goes on inside from the look on the outside on trains like this.

They also have some of these trains running in China with a blue stripe if you want to add another livery to the collection.

Those are just a couple of things that slightly bug me. As always, impressive train! I love to see what you show us next time.

Thanks everyone for the comments! 

On 2/13/2023 at 6:16 PM, Nikonissen said:

Maybe you would like to lower the windows on the sides with 1 - 2 plates to give them a more correct placement.

And you could perhaps put in the 3rd headlight under the windscreen with a jumper and 1x1 trans tile.

You’re right that the windscreen should be lowered, but I’ll try to figure how as there’s other parts obstructing it, but I’ll try to work it out. 

On 2/15/2023 at 11:53 AM, Ferro-Friki said:

Have your considered separating the magenta stripe from the gray one above by one plate and making the lower magenta stripe two plates tall? I know it would mess up the brilliant way the stripes bend downwards at the front but I think it would look a bit more accurate. Also, only the second and second-to-last coaches have a pantograph, the third and third-to-last ones only have a “hump” that I guess serves to meet the height difference to the adjacent car in a more aerodynamic way.

By the way, have you thought about designing the cafeteria car? I know it looks pretty much the same way the other coaches do but with different window and door placements, I just love the way you can tell what goes on inside from the look on the outside on trains like this..

Thanks!! Yes, I have considered separating them BUT from my point of view the space between both lines in the real thing is not large enough to be worth a tile of separation. Also you’re right that it would sort of ruin how smooth lines flow. Will fix the pantograph (again haha). Will surely make the cafeteria soon! I actually thought they’d be harder to make it work as in Talgo trains windows on the cafeteria sit higher… but not this time! 

Edited by Redrado