Sign in to follow this  
Mister Phes

[OFFICIAL] LEGO House Set Exclusive: 40504 A Minifigure Tribute

Recommended Posts

798 posts

2 hours ago, Mister Phes said:

At the expense of derailing this topic into the Bo'Sun Will topic...

Did the Minifigure Factory design station name the below figure Bo'Sun Will, or is that just what you named the minifig?

image.png

A fair question! No, that's an assumption on my part. It doesn't seem like a coincidence since there's really only one smiley faced pirate with a red shirt and bandanna that's consistently paired with Captain Redbeard, but it's not confirmed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

25101 posts

46 minutes ago, TalonCard said:

A fair question! No, that's an assumption on my part. It doesn't seem like a coincidence since there's really only one smiley faced pirate with a red shirt and bandanna that's consistently paired with Captain Redbeard, but it's not confirmed.

Well, I guess he's almost a modern update of the Ladybird Books version - he's just got some new tights!

 

image.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

557 posts

Bo'sun Will was such an important character in the comic, story books, and radio plays, that he will always be tied to the young plain faced minifigure for me. The fact that the set 6235 in the UK was called Bo'sun Will in the catalogs I always just write off as an anomaly in my own head canon.

I agree with @TalonCard's conjecture that this minifig factory figure could certainly represent Will though!

History of Classic LEGO Pirates_Page4

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

13 posts

I want this so badly! I might need to get hold of the instructions and try to build it myself, or as close to as possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

11884 posts

Love this build, especially after getting to see it in detail in some of the recent online reviews! Redbeard was a VERY good choice for a minifigure to depict at this 6x scale for a promotional item of this sort — even besides the individualized facial features that made him such a groundbreaking milestone in the history of the minifigure, he also has lots of unique, distinguishing details like his hook, peg leg, epaulets, and elaborate layered outfit which really give this model loads of unique brick-built flair.

Noticing also that this model is to scale with the upscaled pirate treasure chest MOC that Mark Stafford shared from last year's LEGO Inside Tour:

A Reddish Brown version of this would be a great companion piece to this Captain Redbeard figure! Sadly, it can't currently be built in Reddish Brown without modifications, since the 4x4x2 2/3 slope doesn't come in that color yet. But that could probably be remedied with some slight modifications.

I'm currently putting the finishing touches on an upscaled cutlass build on stud.io. I'll share the file here once I'm happy with it.

Edited by Aanchir

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

557 posts

16 hours ago, Aanchir said:

Noticing also that this model is to scale with the upscaled pirate treasure chest MOC that Mark Stafford shared from last year's LEGO Inside Tour:

A Reddish Brown version of this would be a great companion piece to this Captain Redbeard figure! Sadly, it can't currently be built in Reddish Brown without modifications, since the 4x4x2 2/3 slope doesn't come in that color yet. But that could probably be remedied with some slight modifications.

Stuart showed a sketch model of a chest during the Instagram live event for the release (also can be seen in the second and third photos of his Instagram post here). He mentioned that at one point they were thinking about it as an accessory to go along with the figure but ultimately decided it would be too large a model for just an accessory. It was mostly reddish brown (with some black sections) and very likely based very, very closely off of that model of Mark's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

68 posts

'Not Enough Booty to Buy One? Are these options still a too far beyond yer reach?'                       

For those who are not able or willing to pay Bricklink/eBay-prices, you can also build a PAPER Captain Redbeard:
https://ninjatoes.wordpress.com/2011/03/11/lego-kapitein-knoest-captain-redbeard/

...and there are more Pirates characters: https://ninjatoes.wordpress.com/category/lego/pirates/ 

Edited by CvS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1263 posts

2 hours ago, CvS said:

'Not Enough Booty to Buy One? Are these options still a too far beyond yer reach?'                       

For those who are not able or willing to pay Bricklink/eBay-prices, you can also build a PAPER Captain Redbeard:
https://ninjatoes.wordpress.com/2011/03/11/lego-kapitein-knoest-captain-redbeard/

...and there are more Pirates characters: https://ninjatoes.wordpress.com/category/lego/pirates/ 

Dude, holy cow! Those are amazing! Look at all the other ones. They have a black knight and all of the forestmen. Even the plumes! I need to make ALL of these now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

25101 posts

4 hours ago, Rockyjw2004 said:

Alex Jaen just created this awesome moc with Redbeard.

Thanks a goodin' alright!

image.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1331 posts

17 hours ago, Rockyjw2004 said:

Alex Jaen just created this awesome moc with Redbeard.

 

Lovely addition, fits well with Redbeard and the parrot. :pir-thumb:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

557 posts

I'm so happy that the Captain has arrived safe and sound at my home port!!

I can't wait to get him built and on display along side the rest of my Pirates collection.

A huge thanks to @Piraten for the assistance. I was also able to trade for a Danish version of The Golden Medallion comic which is quite special!

IMG_20230418_070058_930.thumb.jpg.5a614da60268b71d353acbc08676c676.jpg

PXL_20230417_222532022.thumb.jpg.8b9bf7a761cf41167849e4ee21ae1bed.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

198 posts

11 hours ago, PxChris said:

I'm so happy that the Captain has arrived safe and sound at my home port!!

I can't wait to get him built and on display along side the rest of my Pirates collection.

A huge thanks to @Piraten for the assistance. I was also able to trade for a Danish version of The Golden Medallion comic which is quite special!

 

So happy to see this :) Enjoy :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

25101 posts

3 hours ago, CvS said:

Got mine today! WooHoo!! :pir-triumph::pir-huzzah2:

It's been 3 hours... where are the photos? :pir-grin:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

68 posts

20 hours ago, Mister Phes said:

It's been 3 hours... where are the photos? :pir-grin:

Sorry, sorry had something to do with work, two kids (4 years & 4 weeks), first spring day of the year...:pir-grin: :pir-tongue:

It's a nice build!

800x414.jpg

800x1341.jpg

https://bricksafe.com/pages/CvS/40504---redbeard

Haven't decided yet which parrot I want to build to accompany him: Creator, Blocks or ...1000x800.jpg?1652110303.8418908

I think the latter is most similar to the original Pirates parrot  :parrot:, except for the colors in the wings.

Edited by CvS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

25101 posts

1 hour ago, CvS said:

Sorry, sorry had something to do with work, two kids (4 years & 4 weeks), first spring day of the year...:pir-grin: :pir-tongue:

Why weren't the kids taking photos? :pir-laugh:

1 hour ago, CvS said:

Haven't decided yet which parrot I want to build to accompany him: Creator, Blocks or ...

Try all of them are see which one works best!

1 hour ago, CvS said:

It's a nice build!

800x414.jpg

Thank you for sharing your photos - glad you enjoyed the experience!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

68 posts

12 hours ago, Mister Phes said:

Why weren't the kids taking photos? :pir-laugh:

Try all of them are see which one works best!

Thank you for sharing your photos - glad you enjoyed the experience!

800x1428.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

198 posts

On 5/5/2023 at 2:21 PM, CvS said:

800x1428.jpg

This is a bit scary... All the small captains and one giant... Could be a thing in a horror pirate movie. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

68 posts

On 4/3/2023 at 5:56 PM, jodawill said:

Dude, holy cow! Those are amazing! Look at all the other ones. They have a black knight and all of the forestmen. Even the plumes! I need to make ALL of these now.

...and, did you built all of them in the meantime?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

506 posts

I asked the staff in the Lego House about the future of this set when they release the new one. According to them 40504 will not be discontinued in the near future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.