Sign in to follow this  
Juliusz D

[MOC] SAAB JA-37 Viggen

The Saab Viggen is one of the most innovative and original designs in the history of aviation. It also happens to be one of my personal favorites, so here it is, my latest model of JA-37 Viggen.

About the jet

The history of the Viggen can be traced back to the late 50’m when the Flygvapnet started looking for a replacement for their highly successful platforms, namely A 32 Lansen (air-to-ground) and J-35 Draken (air-to-air). However, due to the defensive doctrine of neutral Sweden, heavily based on the dispersed system of road air bases, and a large percentage of conscript soldiers, the requirements set upon the new design were very unique, requiring STOL (short takeoff and landing) capabilities and extreme ease of maintenance, all while delivering adequate performance in a wide range of missions. As a result, the design finalized in 1962 sported a number of features previously unseen in a supersonic fighter jet, including canards, a canted delta wing, a state-of-the-art CK 37 central computer, one of the very first of its kind, and thrust-reverser in an engine equipped with an afterburner. The prototype of the first generation Viggen was flown in February 1967 and subsequently was developed into a number of more specialized versions: AJ-37 (strike/fighter), Sk 37 (training), SF 37 (reconnaissance), and SH 37 (sea reconnaissance). The second-generation Viggens were exclusively fighter JA-37s. In comparison to the previous versions, the JA-37 utilized a new, more powerful RM8B engine, a slightly elongated fuselage to accommodate it (by 8 cm), a tail of increased area (taken from the Sk 37), and a brand new avionics, including the PS-46/A radar, capable of guiding the BVR, Sky Flash missiles (Rb.71). Over the years the JA-37, as well as other versions of the plane, were subsequently updated. In the case of Jakt-Viggen, the following updates should be mentioned: Mod A (1982-85, introduction of the datalink capability),  Mod B (addition of Rb.74 – AIM-9L, expansion of the datalink), Mod C (1992, addition of the auto-gun capability), Mod D (2001, new avionics architecture centered around new CD 207 central computer, glass cockpit, addition of Rb.99 – AIM-120B), and finally Ja-37Di, which featured additional changes for increased interoperability with NATO forces. Thanks to those upgrades, the Viggen remained a very capable aircraft until the very last day of its service, which was the 25th of November 2005, and even then, its retirement was forced mainly by economic factors, rather than inadequate performance. 

About the building process

The JA-37 was one of my very first “favorite fighters” I can remember, and even though later it was replaced in my mind by MiG-29/F-14/Tornado, I have been always very fond of it. Also, it is such a unique aircraft, and having the opportunity to see it in person dozens of times, it always strikes me as a very original design, truly one of a kind. Surprisingly, there are only a  few LEGO models of it, which might result from the fact that Sweden was its sole user, and as a result, it was never a "mainstream" jet. Among my favorites models of it are without a doubt Viggens by Stefan Johansson and a recent model of JA-37by SIGEZO. Still, both present a bit different approach to mine, so there were quite a few things I had to figure out on my own.

I have been thinking about building a Viggen for a long time, however, I had no idea how to approach the cockpit section, which is quite tricky but essential to give the model a true, “Viggen vibe”. The problem with it is two-fold: first, its cross section has a distinctive, double curvature, which transitions smoothly into the windscreen. Secondly, there is a very strong sloping of the windscreen itself. For years I was not able to get around those things, but finally, the experience gained during building the F-4 provided me with a much-needed breakthrough. The next problematic part are cranked delta wings, with 3 different angles: 45, 57, and 63 degrees. It took a lot of optimizing, to make the leading edge look acceptable. The next challenge, was the main landing gear, as its tandem arrangement is extremely difficult to capture in LEGO, not to mention incorporating the necessary functionality. Even its final form the main landing gear is very much a compromise, and I had to look for especially tight-fitting combinations of the elements, to make it sturdy enough. The last thing was to get the fuselage right, and here, similarly as in my Phantom, the 2x1x3 arches combined with hinges proved invaluable. I would say that the final result is not bad, especially considering that I didn’t have very high expectations.

About the model

The model represents a SAAB JA-37 Viggen Mod C in a 1/33 scale. The camouflage is based on the JA-37 serial number 37410, which served in the F 16 unit until it was retired on 08.10.2003 with 1943 flying hours. It was one of the last JA-37 Mod C in service and currently is preserved at Osterlens Flygmuseum in Sweden. As usual, the model possesses a number of features: an openable cockpit, working flaps on both wings and canards (a unique feature for Viggen), working and folding vertical tail (another rare feature, enabling easy storing in hangars), retractable landing gear, and working thrust reverser. The loadout comprises one centerline 1500 liters tank, 2 Rb.71 BVR missiles (Sky Flash), and 2 Rb.74 (AIM-9L) WVR, infra-red missiles. Originally, I was thinking about the splinter camo, which was commonly featured on JA-37C (but never on JA-37D), but it would have required too many building compromises and extensive sticker work, for which I was not prepared. Still, as I didn’t want to make a boring, all-grey model, I opted for the “Red fin” Viggen, which turned out to be pretty ok.

For more photos, check my Flickr gallery

52682639615_98d5391eea_b.jpg

52682710113_10b3660272_b.jpg

52682640325_d50cc567a0_b.jpg

52681693847_dd53c09714_b.jpg

52682210926_eef2de8fda_b.jpg

52682709508_23d05ce979_b.jpg

52682494204_0fc99b4817_b.jpg

Hi, great moc here! Very detailed, I admire you all that's succeed to build military jets, I always struggle to do this, I'm in only for build ground vehicles xD

Fantastic JA-37! Lots of details included and it looks great. Your ability to capture the wing shape accurately is amazing.

Thank you all for your comments. I must agree that Viggen is a particularly strange aircraft when it comes to shaping, but at the time of its design, such features as canards or thrust reverser, were the only way for it, to meet the requirements of Flygvapnet. I've never understood, why such unique aircraft has never gained more popularity both within lego and modeling communities, as it is truly one of its kind. 

On 2/13/2023 at 2:19 PM, Juliusz D said:

Thank you all for your comments. I must agree that Viggen is a particularly strange aircraft when it comes to shaping, but at the time of its design, such features as canards or thrust reverser, were the only way for it, to meet the requirements of Flygvapnet. I've never understood, why such unique aircraft has never gained more popularity both within lego and modeling communities, as it is truly one of its kind. 

I think the biggest reason the Saab aircraft aren't well represented is because they are virtually unknown outside of the Baltic area. Iconic MiG or Lockheed aircraft are everywhere in media. I made a Cessna 172 last year and nobody really had a decent model prior to me making it. The Cessna 172 is the most produced aircraft ever per Wikipedia. Shows that even numbers don't matter. It has to be cool and well known for people to create them. I applaud you and all the others that go outside the norm, building your Viggens, Su-15s, BAC Lightnings, and the like.

Your models are always so excellent! Packed with so many details, really enjoy looking at them.