CaptainDarkNStormy

[MOC] Forbidden Island Remastered

blogged.png

Ahoy y'all!

I shared a few pics of this bad boy already but after making a few tweaks and taking some more photos, I'm ready to properly present my latest project to the world.

Behold, Forbidden Island Remastered!

52677877703_0c48d83c1e_c.jpgForbidden Island Draft_Copy by Chris Boyd, on Flickr

52648379996_b0c0d56fbe_c.jpgIMG_5194 by Chris Boyd, on Flickr

52679821880_7f0854753e_c.jpgIMG_5362 by Chris Boyd, on Flickr

52678877187_d1ed52515e_c.jpgIMG_5357 by Chris Boyd, on Flickr

52679671629_4cdfa20d51_c.jpgIMG_5370 by Chris Boyd, on Flickr

52679671694_53a6b485ab_c.jpgIMG_5367 by Chris Boyd, on Flickr

52679385041_d290d86d63_c.jpgIMG_5364 by Chris Boyd, on Flickr

52679671569_3d8f59f6e9_c.jpgIMG_5372 by Chris Boyd, on Flickr

6270 Forbidden Island was one of my favorite sets as a kid, and I included many of the original features. I came up with a new way to create the rope bridge, as I wanted to use current production parts to the extent practical. The second floor of the hideout includes a functioning trap door to capture any of those pesky Bluecoats. I also added a lot more greenery and some critters that would typically be found on such a verdant tropical isle.

This is my most ambitious MOC to date and it took me a few months to construct. Here's a few photos of the design process:

52679410416_f972d384d4_w.jpg68590667168__03460CD3-7899-4E73-BB47-1EF64E169720 by Chris Boyd, on Flickr

52679844560_891e4c104d_w.jpg68954100519__928931C0-1172-4BCE-842C-660D374E23E8 by Chris Boyd, on Flickr

52679893173_0192a096ed_w.jpgIMG_4732 by Chris Boyd, on Flickr

If you'd like to build it yourself the instructions are available on Rebrickable

Edited by Marooned Marin
Blogged on the Classic-Pirates.com

9 hours ago, CaptainDarkNStormy said:

Behold, Forbidden Island Remastered!

And what a fine remastering it is!

I really like how you've added a deck with piña coladas and those pre-mixed mojitos... very exquisite! 🍹

IMG_5362

Quite the reimagining of the classic. The way you captured all the original details, yet made them better is wonderful.

4 hours ago, Mister Phes said:

And what a fine remastering it is!

I really like how you've added a deck with piña coladas and those pre-mixed mojitos... very exquisite! 🍹

Pirates need their grog!

:pir-huzzah1::pir-huzzah2:

2 hours ago, Feuer Zug said:

Quite the reimagining of the classic. The way you captured all the original details, yet made them better is wonderful.

Thank You!!!

Lovely, lovely, lovely! :pir-love:

I can echo the comment before, this was also my favourite set while growing up. Actually, it was the only pirate set I got, other one being formidable bluecoat's Clipper.

@CaptainDarkNStormy am I reading this correctly, this MOC consists of 2367 parts?

If was to replace sea-base with the old 32x32 baseplate from the original Forbidden Island, do you have estimate of total parts then?

It's all very nicely built. My favorite is the deck with piña coladas and the hanging bridge.

46 minutes ago, Marooned Marin said:

Lovely, lovely, lovely! :pir-love:

I can echo the comment before, this was also my favourite set while growing up. Actually, it was the only pirate set I got, other one being formidable bluecoat's Clipper.

@CaptainDarkNStormy am I reading this correctly, this MOC consists of 2367 parts?

If was to replace sea-base with the old 32x32 baseplate from the original Forbidden Island, do you have estimate of total parts then?

Thanks!

You are correct on the part count.

Using a simple baseplate for the water would reduce it to just over 1000 parts, but would require some workarounds.

First, a single 32x32 baseplate isn't big enough. It's deep enough but the island is wider than it by a few studs. You'd either have to use 2 of them side by side or (what I'd recommend) is use the 16x16 medium azure plates from Barracuda Bay. 6 of them should cover it. Some wedge plates at the corners might improve the look.

The second issue is a bit more complicated. The "rocks" on either side of the island are mostly SNOT built, and they are flush with the "water" tiles. The geometry would be thrown off if you replace those tiles with studded plates. I suppose you could add a layer of tiles on top of the plates, or you could rebuild the rocks with slopes built upright from the plates.

55 minutes ago, NOD said:

It's all very nicely built. My favorite is the deck with piña coladas and the hanging bridge.

Thanks! I really like that part too!

14 hours ago, Mister Phes said:

@Captain Braunsfeld, it's safe to frontpage this because there's definitely a monkey.

Hey, do you know of Jojo the monkey and his encounter with Guybrush Threepwood?

Alrighty.

Yes, of course, I do :pir-laugh:

Nice work, CaptnDarkNStormy!

1 hour ago, CaptainDarkNStormy said:

I’m honored to have made the front page ☺️

Well worth it: so many details - the excellent hanging bridge, the animals, all those little scenes. :pir-thumb:

Such an awesome re-imagining of a truly classic set!!

This is amazing! I still have the original set it was fun. Will you be submitting this to either lego ideas or rebrickable?

On 2/24/2023 at 5:48 PM, Vdog said:

Will you be submitting this to either lego ideas or rebrickable?

If you'd like to build it yourself the instructions are available on Rebrickable

On 3/2/2023 at 7:21 PM, CaptainDarkNStormy said:

and has about half the part count of the original version.

This is great 'economic friendly' addition to the original. I like it! :pir-thumb:

5 hours ago, Marooned Marin said:

This is great 'economic friendly' addition to the original. I like it! :pir-thumb:

Thanks. I was lucky last year to hit a Pick A Brick wall that had 1x2 trans blue tiles. I got a few cups worth for a good price. Those things get expensive fast on Bricklink and not everyone wants to drop that kind of coin.