Sign in to follow this  
Justsomebrix

[GoC - The Merchant Marine] The Fara

As Queenston grew larger by the day, the need for certain materials were quickly becoming a problem. One of these materials was cotton, the settlement had welcomed a large amount of settlers these past months which led to a dire need for cotton with which to make cloth for clothes and sheets. Being the most isolated settlement of the Empire, the Mayor had to rely on long trade voyages for any material or product Queenston did not yet have the capabilities to produce itself. Thus the Fara and ETTC Muharib were sent in consort to Queenston, with their cargo holds filled with goods for the settlement. The Fara sailed all the way from Jameston, with supplies and large amounts of cotton and seeds, while the Muharib collected timber and wool from Wullhalm. The two ships met up in Spudkirk before setting off on their dangerous voyage to the Bastion of the East.

The New Heaven Sea had been filled with privateers and raiders of the Lotus Empire, hungry wolves searching for riches and glory.

The Fara and the Muharib

As luck would have it, after a couple of days at sea, the small consort woke up to a large war Junk lurking on the horizon. Had they not been on such an important task for the Mayor, there is no doubt our men would have sailed right at the Junk with guns blazing and a sword in each hand. But the settlement could not afford to loose any of the cargo, so they kept course and sailed as fast as they could, while firing with everything they had at the Loti Junk. For each hour that passed, the large and heavy warship fell farther and farther behind, until it eventually cut the chase.

The two brigs arrived safely and on schedule to a heart warming welcome at Queenstons docks, where Mayor Scarver offered them free food and rooms at the tavern.

The Muharib ended up leaving shortly after with sugar from the settlements new Royal Plantation. But the crew of the Fara suffered some damage during the shootout with the Junk, so the ship stayed anchored in port while the wounded were treated. The crew of the Fara even received some new members, as a handful of ex-privateers joined their crew. These experienced sailors had been part of Edward Scarver’s crew before he became Mayor of the colony. They had stayed there for awhile and helped wherever they could, but their hearts yearned for the sea, so after a final feast with their old cremates and captain, they set sail with the Fara.

The Fara

As they sailed into the sunset, Amin Raza, one of the carpenters of Scarver’s old crew on the Andromache, climbed on to the ratlines and listened to how calm it was. Just a few months ago you couldn’t spend more than a few days at sea without crossing one or several Loti pirates. But now they had spent a week at sea, and they had seen… nothing… crossed no-one… 

~The Fara~

During the time he had stayed in Queenston, the allied invasion of New Oleonda was in full swing. He deducted that they must have pulled away their forces back to the island, now that our foot soldiers are knocking at their door. Perhaps they reassembled their fleet, preparing for a counter attack, hoping to separate our army by hindering our fleets from supplying them. Perhaps they left, perhaps all the pirates and privateers scattered away in fear of fighting in a loosing war… 

Spoiler

The Fara

The Fara

The FaraThe Fara

The Fara

The Fara

----

This is my first entry to the Merchant Marine task from the GoC. I originally built the ship months ago, for @Professor Thaum as the prize to his upcoming contest, but it was changed to a microlicence instead. So I reworked the the brig into the Fara, a merchant brig armed with 12 cannons and 4 swivel guns.

To be licenced as a class 5 medium square rigged brig for the ETTC.

PS: It was my first time using photoshop so please don't hesitate giving me advice if you have any! :pir-huzzah2:

Edited by Justsomebrix

Good to hear that my plantation is being used! :pir-huzzah2:

Besides, beautiful ships! Respect to all shipbuilders (its not my cup of tea...but I'm jealous!) The cannon fire is well done! I also love the sunset with reflection in the water! Its made with orange/red-colored trans tiles?

Great, interesting and exciting story with very nice photos!  :pir-wub:

Edited by NOD

The "lights" on this look really cool, and the sunset background is lovely, great stuff!

23 hours ago, Bricksbypidy said:

Good to hear that my plantation is being used! :pir-huzzah2:

Besides, beautiful ships! Respect to all shipbuilders (its not my cup of tea...but I'm jealous!) The cannon fire is well done! I also love the sunset with reflection in the water! Its made with orange/red-colored trans tiles?

Thank you ! The water in the sunset image are transparent light blue, but when I rendered the image I chose a yellow~orange background instead of the white and I turned off the light setting entirely. And for the cannon fire I used the "Luminous Amber" colour, and finally luminous soft amber for the ship's lanterns.

@NOD @Professor Thaum @Kai NRG @Thomas Waagenaar 

Thank you all for the encouraging comments!

The ETTC has now licensed the vessel. And I just want to add that this is a beautiful brig, with a load of great details and excellent proportions. I am hard pressed to bring up any suggestions for improvement, as you show an excellent attention to detail in running and standing rigging, deck furniture, and hull. Absolutely lovely. (And a :thumbup: for GoC)

@Bregir Thank you ! But there is still much to improve on my rigging, I usually just put ropes where I want to without really usung any references:pir-tongue:

However on my next 2 ships I plan on trying to be as accurate as possible, maybe even building them in real bricks!