Mr_Fikou

[MOC] Past Earth - an alien world diorama

This is the final product of my most ambitious project thus far. During one of my walks through town I suddenly got an image of a vast alien landscape with huge rocky mountain columns scattered about and a calm stream circling and making its way around these pillars. Since the only way I can creatively express myself is by clutching ABS chunks together, I started at an attempt to make this mental image a reality.

Past Earth

For the record: this build is but a reflection of the initial concept, so there’s still a big difference between what I started working on and what I actually created. Still, I’m immensely proud of the result.

Past Earth

Past Earth

(Sidenote: I’m now noticing the angle on this photo is quite poor. Oh well)

Past Earth

You might’ve noticed my favorite part of the design already: there’s crystals in each of the 3 bigger rock formations! This was actually quite a late addition but it adds so much. SNOTing them together was a ton of fun as well. I used so many hinges, brackets and modified bricks it’s mind-boggling. In any case, here’s some closeups of several pretty clear pyramids stacked together.

Past Earth

Past Earth

Past Earth

These flowers are packed with fun NPU’s too.

Past Earth

I really adore these flying creatures too, the VIDIYO fairy wings look beautiful on them! I’ve called them ‘Memlyins’, the ‘mem’ part being a reference to my mum (=mem in our household) because they’re the first and only thing I built that she genuinely liked. It’s okay, she’s just not that into sci-fi.

Past Earth

And to cap this post off, here’s some pretty close-ups.

Past Earth

Past Earth

Past Earth

Also, pro tip: don’t be an idiot like me and try to build on a hexagonal base. Three grid directions is a PAIN. As is designing with Spring Green: it’s probably my favorite LEGO color but part availability sucks so bad. And I’ve not even touched upon the prices. You’ve been warned. ;P

Edited by Mr_Fikou
OH MY GOODNESS, this got homepage featured? I don’t even have 10 posts yet! Thanks so much!

Wow yeah, that's some really nice parts usage there. The flowers, tree and the rest of the vegetation, the butterflies, the crystals and all the other great details! My favorite part are the crystals.

nice! Love the use of the hero factory armor pieces to make the trunk of the tree. How is it structured internally? ball joints stacked up with a technic axle in the middle?

11 hours ago, Yperio_Bricks said:

Wow yeah, that's some really nice parts usage there. The flowers, tree and the rest of the vegetation, the butterflies, the crystals and all the other great details! My favorite part are the crystals.

Thank you! Mine are too :D

11 hours ago, danth said:

That is freaking cool! NPU everywhere.

I tried my best, awesome to see it shows!

11 hours ago, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

The trees are simply amazing! :excited:

Gorgeous diorama! :wub:

Thanks! They were the first thing I came up with, before I even started working on this specific model. With the right selection of foliage colors they fit in perfectly here!

6 hours ago, A_Forest_of_Lego said:

Awesome build! I love the crystals!

Me too :) Thanks!

5 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

nice! Love the use of the hero factory armor pieces to make the trunk of the tree. How is it structured internally? ball joints stacked up with a technic axle in the middle?

Not as simple, it’s a flex rod! Had to force-bend it manually to have the shells line up right. The branches are also connected to these via parts with clips or 318 holes. The process was almost like stringing beads, hahaha!

12 hours ago, Mr_Fikou said:

Thanks! They were the first thing I came up with, before I even started working on this specific model. With the right selection of foliage colors they fit in perfectly here!

I totally agree also the flowers made with gears are absolutely perfect in this environment!

Wow! I just got done watching Disney's Strange World, then I log in to the forum and see this amazing build that reminds me of the movie

5 hours ago, Viper Knight said:

Creative, and wonderful. Easy coloring for the eyes, too, I'm happy to see your alien world healthy and not volcanic or dreary.

Thank you kindly! I guess there are indeed few alien world MOCs that depict a safe and healthy environment, even if it’s not something I was consciously thinking of when designing.

15 hours ago, Viper Knight said:

What are the inhabitants named?

If you’re referring to the butterfly-like fellas, they’re called Memlyins! I came up with the name after my mum (‘mem’ where I’m from) said she liked them which NEVER happens with anything I create, LOL. I just threw in some unconventional letters to achieve the alien-y feel.

If you were referring to the astronauts, they’re nameless :P just a few humans exploring a new world (they’re not really ‘inhabitants’ anyway).

Wow, compact but with an incredible use of parts! In my opinion some of them are pure genius! And those colors!... :wub_drool:

11 hours ago, Albrick said:

Wow, compact but with an incredible use of parts! In my opinion some of them are pure genius! And those colors!... :wub_drool:

That is high praise, thanks a lot!