Sign in to follow this  
Robinson 2nd

[MOC] Robinsons Island 1st setup

Morning,

I would like to show you guys my first MOC since ~35 years. Over the years I have build a few of the larger LEGO technic sets but it never came to my mind to start over with old washingpowder boxes of bricks. When I first saw the Ray the castaway set it was totally clear to me what to do. I have read Defoes book at least 10 times during my childhood and enjoyed it a lot. 

i then went to my mother in law, as i knew there should be some LEGO in her house full of vintage toys. As she had 4 children over the years and never ever threw one single piece away, I left her with quite a few pieces.

As below is only a starter to get in the mood, try things and still collecting parts for a much larger full island, I named it 1st setup. It will be followed by at least one more including several small scenes from the book.

I understand Robinson is not 100% pirates I still believe it will fit in here, more than somewhere else.

your thoughts are very welcome

cheers from northwesterngermany

Jan

52676229267_5f36c378c6_b.jpg

52676741996_dca594a15c_b.jpg

52676227997_ca569ec011_b.jpg

52676741076_b3e865e103_b.jpg

1EC126B3-ABE8-4B99-A0EE-7C89EBB8B097.jpeg

56BDFF18-BC53-4CC2-9CFE-EFA762D6C23A.jpeg

59FCAAEB-E1B2-4DA9-9861-EB418301F979.jpeg

Ahoy there @Robinson 2nd

You are off to a great and promising start, but we need better images to see more details about your fine work so far.

Since Eurobricks does not allow users to upload huge number of HD images directly to server, to post images here you need to use Flickr or BrickSafe or any other image hosting platform out there.

Lets say you have Flickr, here is simple and short tutorial how to do it.

Click Spoiler

Hide contents

1. Go to your Flickr (or BrickSafe) account and open one picture in the new tab.

2. Click view full size

3. Copy the url address: example on the picture (same is for BrickSafe)

1017381495_copypaste.JPG.01d0208f849c016e5db0f3a4aba25b7a.JPG

4. Paste the address inside the post (click edit post), and the system will automatically embed the picture inside the post.

The End

If unsure, you can go to training ground for new members here-click and practice your posting pictures skills.

And welcome aboard! :pir-huzzah2:

3 hours ago, Robinson 2nd said:

cheers from northwesterngermany

Cheers from Lower Saxony :pir-huzzah2: Welcome to the forum.

I like the fortified holdout and also the beach and vegetation!

Thanks guys. :thumbup:

think I now got it right and proper set up. Only i can not get rid of the small pictures.

Anyway…

Today i scored two blue 32x32 groundplates at the local grocery store for an equal of 2 packs of gauloises, so I can move on preparing for 2nd setup…

1 hour ago, Robinson 2nd said:

think I now got it right and proper set up.

Yes, this is much better! :pir-thumb:

Looking forward to see more of your progress in the future.

On 2/8/2023 at 7:39 PM, Robinson 2nd said:

52676229267_5f36c378c6_b.jpg

That's better!  Now I can actually see what's going on!

I understand Robinson is not 100% pirates I still believe it will fit in here, more than somewhere else.

The story does indeed involve pirates, specifically the Salé Rovers who where Barbary corsairs.

So no problems there! :pir-thumb:

It will be followed by at least one more including several small scenes from the book.

For those of us who haven't read the book in the past 30 years (like me) are you able to caption the scenes so we can follow the narrative?

Great accommodation with palisades and waterfall. That's exactly how I imagine Robinson's Island to be.

Thanks again guys.

I have just taken it apart, to start the 2nd setup, as I need the parts out of it to start doing trialbuilds on mangroves and a small river dividing the island.

when it has come to the point the new etup cantell stories, I will try to make a few photos for each bookscene included in the moc and accordingly tell the story.

Any ideas would be highly appreciated:

Beeing stucked on that island for quite a few years, Robinsons stock of clothing he was able to save from the wrecked ship, has reached the end of its lifetime. After Robinson was able to catch a few wild goats on the island he started seeing new clothes out of them goats coats.

has anyone of you any idea what minifigure to look for that would have somesort of a furry, diy look?

cheers Jan

On 2/14/2023 at 5:14 AM, Robinson 2nd said:

Here is a drawing showing what look of minifigure I am looking for.

all clothes made of goatfurry.

anyideas?

perhaps the cowardly lion fig with a headswap?
https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?M=tlm164#T=S&O={"iconly":0}

mind you, in the book i'm fairly certain he actually made his clothing of goat-skin, not goat furs.. that is, he scraped and tanned the skins into a form of soft leather.

so visually, you'd be better off looking at some of the native american figures, looking for buckskin shirt and pants.

it is also worth noting that "friday" was a native american in the book (his island was off south america), and dressed in a style that was simpler than Crusoe's, even if made from similar things. ( in fact, iirc Crusoe actually give him a set of european style pants, taken from some of the stuff salvaged from the wreck. presumably they were too small for Crusoe?)