Ross Fisher

[OL - FB - Nola Mar] Index Libroram Prohibitorum

Index Libroram Prohibitorum

"Herr Calib, must zis cursed collection be housed *here* of all places?" grumbled Chapter Master Von Braun.
"I'm afraid so, my lord. Orders from the Shadows. Who are we to question?"
The Knight Treasurer withheld a further complaint. Calib was as much a servant of Hades as he was. There was no point pulling ecclesiastical rank here.
"You may be right," he answered. "However, I am responsible for ze safety and smoothe running of zis city. You put us at risk housing your books here."

"Indeed, my lord. And yet our betters believe that these works are so heretical that it is safer to store them away from the mainland. Besides which, a good many of these documents are being produced out here across the Brick Seas!"
"Why store zem at all?" he wondered aloud. "Should zey not be burned?"
"Oh my lord!" exclaimed the wizened monk. "Without an accurate record of all heretical documents, we cannot begin to prosecute unbelievers effectively."
"Imagine, if you will, we discover a man in possession of a heretical document. He claims he only inherited it from his great grandfather. And yet, from our records here, we can tell that it was from an edition that was only printed last year. Now we know it is appropriate to burn him at the stake. Before this library existed, we would've had to be content with flogging him! I mean, can you imagine?"
Von Braun merely grunted. 
"No!" snapped the monk. "We do vital work here!"
"Well do it quietly," answered the Knight. "Und make sure I never hear any complaints.

This will be licensed as a Medium Education building in Nola Mar. 

I've wanted to build a library of prohibited books for a while. Something about an educational-class building where people aren't allowed to go seems quite fun to me. 

I'm sure it will also be a fun story hook for many of you. @Thomas Waagenaar, @Mesabi I'm sure you'll be interested. Send me a message and we can discuss ideas. 

Edited by Ross Fisher

Nice build! Love the bookcases and the gondola!

3 hours ago, Ross Fisher said:

I've wanted to build a library of prohibited books for a while. Something about an educational-class building where people aren't allowed to go seems quite fun to me. 

Curious what this will bring...

I'm guessing that there are some reprintings of Crahaish neh Triuri religious text there. And probably a couple of the Midori Almanacs that included reprints of Truachesh explorer maps.

Edited by gedren_y

7 minutes ago, gedren_y said:

I'm guessing that there are some reprintings of Crahaish neh Triuri religious text there. And probably a couple of Midori Almanacs that included reprints of Truachesh explorer maps

Quite possibly. Any self-respecting library of heretic materials would at least have some Crahaish neh Triuri material. And this is The Order's offshore library. If you're thinking of visiting, opening hours are between 10 and 3, and there is an out-of-hours slot for book returns. :pir-wink:

@Thomas Waagenaar @Yperio_Bricks @Bricksbypidy Thanks!

Edited by Ross Fisher

Nice library right on the water. The architecture in the entrance area is well built. There is even a printing press inside. Will the books be censored with this? The gondola is cleverly built, I especially like the bow and the stern.

13 hours ago, NOD said:

There is even a printing press inside. Will the books be censored with this?

That was a little hint that not everything at this library is as fundamentalist as the Librarian would like you to believe. I like the idea that being surrounded by so much forbidden knowledge has started to corrupt him. Maybe instead of just reading the books, he has started to print his own!

Edited by Ross Fisher

The chains across the books really make this library unique, neat concept!  I also like your boat technique a lot, with those great curved pieces being angled like that!

Great build!

I believe the newly commissioned HMS Carolina will stop by to press the gondola crewmember 

8 hours ago, Kai NRG said:

The chains across the books really make this library unique, neat concept

Thanks. This does happen in some older libraries, but it's individual books that are chained up. I didn't have the space for that.

@A_Forest_of_Lego Thanks!

7 hours ago, DeathCap said:

HMS Carolina will stop by to press the gondola crewmember

You can certainly try. Of course if a Corrington ship were to suddenly anchor up in an Oleonaise port and start pressing civilians, the Knights Treasurer and the cannons in the fort might have something to say about that...

I hear the heresy train a comin'! Great stuff love the lighting there. Very reserved and quaint,  even. I do like that movable wall bit.

Edited by Jeff of Clubs

1 hour ago, Jeff of Clubs said:

I do like that movable wall bit.

Thanks! It's only literally this minute that I've realised I could've just left it without the wall on the opposite side instead. Oh well!

18 hours ago, Ross Fisher said:

You can certainly try. Of course if a Corrington ship were to suddenly anchor up in an Oleonaise port and start pressing civilians, the Knights Treasurer and the cannons in the fort might have something to say about that...

We are allies are we not? In a common struggle against the Lotii, I'm sure the gondola man will not hesitate to join the cause, in service of the crown.

OOC: This will make very amusing material for a free build >:)

Lovely idea! The chained books and the printing press are great details. The interior is clearly the main aspect of this build, but the facade is very well-done too.

Excellent idea - and I always like to see more of the order!

The gondola is nice, and I really like the Venetian look. Both facade and interior is excellent. Only minor gripe is the roof technique, which leaves some gaps. The story is amusing and interesting - excellent concept executed well! What more can one wish for!

1 hour ago, Ross Fisher said:

@Bregir I know. I don't have the pieces I need to do a good Venetian roof. This was a bodge job. Glad you like it though!

To be clear, that was a very minor nitpick and just a suggestion for the future - I DO absolutely love this build. Particularly how you have created a interesting facade in just one colour! :pir-thumb: