BrickJagger

Lego Icons 10332 Medieval Town Square Discussion Thread

On 3/7/2023 at 6:37 PM, Khargeust said:

Do you feel it's really coming ?

To be honest: I doubt it. At least in the form that is shown in the picture. There is just too much of it included in 10305: LKC. I noticed that while building my alternate model for 10305 and don't really see an outstanding unique selling point here.
I hope that this is just an early draft of something that is much better than this. A least, it is one more prove that LEGO is aware of the huge potential of civil medieval focussed sets and will continue to serve this desire.

Edit: After looking at the photo again, I have to correct myself. It looks quite finished. It was probably the plain olive green building that made me remember it as "unfinished", paired with the bad resolution. A good example of the negative impact of leaked images.

Edited by Sebbl

1 hour ago, Sebbl said:

To be honest: I doubt it. At least in the form that is shown in the picture. There is just too much of it included in 10305: LKC. I noticed that while building my alternate model for 10305 and don't really see an outstanding unique selling point here.
I hope that this is just an early draft of something that is much better than this. A least, it is one more prove that LEGO is aware of the huge potential of civil medieval focussed sets and will continue to serve this desire.

Too much of it included in the 10305? I don't find that. There is indeed a piece of rampart, but it seems to be a fortification paying explicit homage to set 6067 Guarded Inn, especially with the red color of the building.

Undoubtedly we can build something equivalent with the 10305 but I do not at all believe that this is a duplicate, quite the contrary, it is a way of extending the castle by adding an enclosure on the edge of which are arranged civilian buildings.

Although it's completely blurry, the set looks great and very complete to me. However I find the colours strange, and if there's anything that seems preliminary, that's it. I don't like that khaki color of the building on the right at all, I hope they will change it, I would prefer a more vivid and retro color like a blue one. Also we can't really see what the color of the building on the far left is. Can it be grey ? If the 4 building portions can be closed in two full buildings then why are the 4 facades of different colors?

And as you say, in view of the requests on the LEGO IDEAS that i regularly check, there is a real desire for medieval buildings so I do not see how they could not release a dedicated set as they already did in 2010 and also more recently with the set focusing on the blacksmith. I'm just trying not to think too much about it so as not to be disappointed if it doesn't happen in the end.

A question : Do you also think it's a jester on stilts in the center of the picture? So fun and great idea if it's the case.

Otherwise, I take advantage of your post to salute your work on Youtube, I watch your videos on alternative models from time to time and I find them really inspiring! Keep up the good job !

Maybe a joust is in work for relase in the next years, what do you think ? ;-)

Edited by Khargeust

8 hours ago, Khargeust said:

Too much of it included in the 10305? I don't find that.

I'm mostly referring to unique things like minifigures and animals. The goat of course being an exception and if there was a new faction of knights included it would be a different story as well.

Although it's completely blurry, the set looks great and very complete to me. However I find the colours strange, and if there's anything that seems preliminary, that's it. I don't like that khaki color of the building on the right at all, I hope they will change it, I would prefer a more vivid and retro color like a blue one. Also we can't really see what the color of the building on the far left is. Can it be grey ? If the 4 building portions can be closed in two full buildings then why are the 4 facades of different colors?

Your response made me have a look at the image again and I edited my comment. I think, my impression was mostly due to that exact khaki building. I can't see how these buildings could look good in closed form either.
The most left building looks lbgrey to me.

Otherwise, I take advantage of your post to salute your work on Youtube, I watch your videos on alternative models from time to time and I find them really inspiring! Keep up the good job !

Maybe a joust is in work for relase in the next years, what do you think ? ;-)

Thank you so much! I appreciate your feedback.

A tournament with joust is one of the best possibilities to provide condensed castle content which I guess is not in the interest of TLG. If they add a lot of buildings to it, like in the Kingdoms set it might work for them. At least, they have all the moulds to do it right now and it would be a proper set to include a king. However, I doubt that we will ever get a set like 1584 again because it complements castles of other manufacturers too well.

10 hours ago, Khargeust said:

However I find the colours strange, and if there's anything that seems preliminary, that's it. I don't like that khaki color of the building on the right at all, I hope they will change it, I would prefer a more vivid and retro color like a blue one

It is designed as a add on to MMV so since there is a blue building there I think they will go with other colors here:shrug_oh_well:

1 hour ago, Sebbl said:

I'm mostly referring to unique things like minifigures and animals. The goat of course being an exception and if there was a new faction of knights included it would be a different story as well

The castle had few animals this will obviously have a lot, in addition to the goat(s) this will probably have some of them in new colors as well. Regarding minifigs, they are most likely just stand ins. The castle had to use a lot of the budget on bringing old parts back and printing parts so a lot of the minifigs are similar there. Now we have a lot of relevant parts and figs available for the designers so I am sure this set can use more of its budget on new figs :wub:

On 3/7/2023 at 7:07 PM, Triceron said:

I realized early on the issue was that each box only contains 3 of every figure, so the chances of getting them from any open box is quite low.  They're super easy to feel for, so that leaves the rest of the figures behind.  And stores aren't going to open a new box if they have plenty left to sell.

I lucked out by going to a Bookstore chain that had 3 boxes behind the counter.  I went during a weekday morning and lucked out that the cashier let me feel em out.  Got my 3 falconers and 1 orc out of that.  I'd like to have more Orcs but I feel guilty every time I go hunting for em, knowing how limited they are.

I really have a love-hate relationship with the CMF system, because it's a great way to introduce old classics and unique minifigures, but absolutely terrible and limited for army-building.  Even today, I can't get my hands on a Tournament Knight due to the high after-market costs from all the army-building.  I had the chance, but Covid was just starting and I didn't think it was worth the risk at the time and thought I could just get a cheap figure on Bricklink.  Little did I know...

IMO, there's no reason not to.

It was an official survey regarding pricing.  They had official concepts (that look like they were actually built).  That's quite a big step into development and marketing to get this far.  If it doesn't happen, I would think it'd be a decision at the marketting or exec level; like them delaying/cancelling the Indiana Jones Temple of Doom sets when we know they existed (but not yet in production).  Otherwise, I don't see any reason why they wouldn't make the Medieval Village set; the LKC and Forest Hideout sets already proved the popularity of Castle sets.

I know of a few shops that open all the boxes and sell them individually for a slight markup ($1 more).  I think that would be the best alternative for me (other than entering another Dark Age.)

Indeed, its just 3 per box. I lucked out once, shop assistants were bringing 2 new boxes and I was alone in the lego aisle. They let me grab all the orcs and falcons BEFORE putting the boxes on shelves. 

Lego should get rid of this system alltogether and release themed fig packs. As long as people could 'feel' the bags the gambling aspect was negligible. But with blindboxes it is becoming way too predatory imo.

10 hours ago, Roebuck said:

It is designed as a add on to MMV so since there is a blue building there I think they will go with other colors here:shrug_oh_well:

I see you point but it was more than 14 years ago ! Can we really see this potential set as an add on ? 

It's more to join the LKC as the designers could not finally include it in the project.

The first medieval market was to join the fantasy subtheme of the moment as you can see the inclusion of two soldiers the faction of this era.

Edited by Khargeust

20 minutes ago, Khargeust said:

I see you point but it was more than 14 years ago ! Can we really see this potential set as an add on ?

"and then a general description that this is an extension of the Medieval Market Village. "Each building features detailed interiors showcasing new merchants and trades not previously seen in the original.""

29 minutes ago, Khargeust said:

It's more to join the LKC as the designers could not finally include it in the project.

The first medieval market was to join the fantasy subtheme of the moment as you can see the inclusion of two soldiers the faction of this era.

Of course it will be a follow up to the LKC as well so I expect some soldiers that tie them together if not lion knights then maybe cross axe fraction and am I sure there will be a forestmen fig or two there.
However MMV even if it has 2 soldiers it is very civilian focused and really not like anything we had gotten in Castle until then. I expect it to go very well with the castle, but fit perfectly with MMV :pir-stareyes:

1 hour ago, Roebuck said:

"and then a general description that this is an extension of the Medieval Market Village. "Each building features detailed interiors showcasing new merchants and trades not previously seen in the original.""

Meh ok, I see your point !

Do you have the original one ? I was no more in LEGO when it was released, too bad for me.

11 hours ago, Khargeust said:

Meh ok, I see your point !

Do you have the original one ? I was no more in LEGO when it was released, too bad for me.

Yes have it on display still with 7189: Mill Village Raid in the living room both are fantastic sets, so if we get a new set in the same series now would be a Lego dream come true :sweet: 

Yeah I have to say I really like how these aren't just 1:1 remakes of old sets, there's plenty enough new to be compliments to the originals.

Even though I don't own MMV or MVR, I'm happy enough that this new market village is similar enough to capture the spirit, and still work perfectly next to new sets like LKC and the Forest Hideout.

On 3/2/2023 at 1:29 AM, Roebuck said:

I do not agree with that and hope they focus on animals and civilians in the set.

Why not just release an expansion pack of minifigures and animals instead of bloating the price and piece count of what could otherwise be a quality set?

If limiting the set to 6 minifigures instead of 16 minifigures means that they could make the set 10% bigger without making it pricier, that's the route I'm going to take every time.

8 hours ago, Doddsino said:

If limiting the set to 6 minifigures instead of 16 minifigures means that they could make the set 10% bigger without making it pricier, that's the route I'm going to take every time.

I disagree. More bricks I can get easily (if I don‘t have them in my collection anyways), new medieval (civilian) minifigs on the other hand, not so much. The more the merrier (if they are actually new/ rare)!

9 minutes ago, LegoAUT said:

I disagree. More bricks I can get easily (if I don‘t have them in my collection anyways), new medieval (civilian) minifigs on the other hand, not so much. The more the merrier (if they are actually new/ rare)!

It's not about the pieces as much as it's about having a more quality set. Again, there's plenty of ways to put new minifigures out there without congesting them into an already expensive set. 

Do you know why these leaks are so blurry? I don't understand, when it appeared in the survey on the screen, there were clear, right? Perhaps @JeanGreyForever can enlighten us ?

12 hours ago, Doddsino said:

Again, there's plenty of ways to put new minifigures out there without congesting them into an already expensive set

I agree, however, TLG does not seem to care sadly.. 

On 3/10/2023 at 7:27 PM, Doddsino said:

Why not just release an expansion pack of minifigures and animals instead of bloating the price and piece count of what could otherwise be a quality set?

Give me minifigs.  Of course, I like when a set looks good.  However, a set does not have to be big to be of quality.  Small and detailed sets with more figs is what I desire.

Like what others have said.  I can get cheap brick anywhere.  Few sets TLG is going to sell are going to match the quality and scale that an AFOL can achieve anyway. 
Therefore I need a quantity and variety of minifigs and unique parts to occupy the world that I make for them.  
After all figs, medieval gear/accessories, heraldry, barding, weapons, armor, animals, fabric items, etc. are things that I can't MOC.  I need to be provided with those crucial parts in any medieval set that is released. 

I will say that as long as LEGO keeps making medieval minifigs available on B&P, I will be able to obtain medieval figs in the numbers that I need for a reasonable price.  Thank you LEGO group!

However, I still want more figs in sets just so we get a greater variety of figs.  Especially for civilians.  It is OK for an army of soldiers to all look similar. 
The peasants, workers, merchants, artisans, royals, need a more varied appearance.  Historically there are just not a lot of medieval civilian minifigs.
I am saying this, and it is likely I have one of the largest collections of medieval civilian figs in the world.   Sadly too many of them look similar...  
There is only so much you can do with hair and faces when the clothes look identical.

On 3/11/2023 at 10:34 AM, Khargeust said:

Do you know why these leaks are so blurry? I don't understand, when it appeared in the survey on the screen, there were clear, right? Perhaps @JeanGreyForever can enlighten us ?

What leaked pictures are you referring to that are blurry?

9 hours ago, JeanGreyForever said:

What leaked pictures are you referring to that are blurry?

All of them that all leader in the same time some weeks ago. But especially the one of the medieval market as it is the object of this topic.

On 3/11/2023 at 11:34 AM, Khargeust said:

Leaks are often pictures of pictures, and usually pictures taken quickly in poor conditions.

It's also usually smaller pictures that were upsized, this making them appear "blurry".

On 2/5/2023 at 12:57 PM, Poco Lypso said:

they shouldn't wait too long imo. at best they could make this an anual thing with more stuff being added to the mediaval kingdom like a medieval farm or village and a black falcon fortress

I completely agree with you!

On 3/13/2023 at 12:49 PM, Khargeust said:

All of them that all leader in the same time some weeks ago. But especially the one of the medieval market as it is the object of this topic.

I understand now. The images weren't blurry but they were small so they require zooming in. And the medieval market in particular has an image that is very wide but with little height so it's the blurriest in comparison when you zoom in.

On 3/14/2023 at 12:52 PM, Follows Closely said:

Leaks are often pictures of pictures, and usually pictures taken quickly in poor conditions.

On 3/18/2023 at 4:01 AM, JeanGreyForever said:

I understand now. The images weren't blurry but they were small so they require zooming in. And the medieval market in particular has an image that is very wide but with little height so it's the blurriest in comparison when you zoom in.

I don't buy this. In the age of ubiquitous smartphone cameras and inbuilt post processing settings and apps, there's literally no excuse for a blurry tiny-sized photo.

No amount of post processing in the world can enlarge an image if lego themselves uploaded tiny photos to use in their survey.