Sign in to follow this  
BarfolomewMog

(MOC) Dengar AT-AX Battle Mech

Hiya!

Here is the fifth mech in this series, Dengar's AT-AX (All Terrain Armoured eXperimental)

I struggled initially as I didn't want it to resemble Rothgar Deng so I took it in a different direction.

Obviously I wanted to keep Dengar's main features, that is, his heavy dark brown armour, his giant white gauntlets and his fully loaded backpack but decided to build some sort of Dieselpunk walker instead.

Some of the challenges were ensuring that the model remained balanced, that the joints were stiff enough to support its weight, and that it was curvy.

I hope you like it!

52660613469_e3debb0f1b_c.jpgDengar AT-AX (All Terrain Armoured eXperimental) Battle Mech by Greg Dalink, on Flickr

52660334856_1b9ca36778_c.jpg"A Message for Dengar" by Greg Dalink, on Flickr

Always great to see these mechs of yours. I think you made the right choice with this one, it would be kinda weird to have a scaled-up human like the the droids, armor, and scales of the others. This look really suits dengar. 

I can't wait to see the Zuckuss mech to round out the group, if that is in development.

On 2/3/2023 at 3:50 AM, Mandalorianknight said:

This look really suits dengar

I'm glad you think so! I wanted it to feel like Dengar acquired something existing and then modified the hell out of it by bolting on whatever he needed.

On 2/3/2023 at 3:50 AM, Mandalorianknight said:

if that is in development

I've made a start and have a pretty good idea of the direction I want to take it but have a long way to go. 

Another fantastic mech! The old canon piece on the shoulders :pir_laugh2: Great presentation as always with the little sidebuild and the colored background.

On 2/5/2023 at 9:39 AM, A_Forest_of_Lego said:

It looks amazing

Thanks, glad you like it!

On 2/5/2023 at 9:57 AM, Yperio_Bricks said:

The old canon piece on the shoulders......the little sidebuild and the colored background

I knew I had to use the cannons somewhere when I found them in the parts collection and sometimes the more "dakka" the better haha.

The side builds were just to add a bit of context, I wanted to keep them simple so that they wouldn't distract from the mech too much.

Fantastic build - as are all your mechs - although I did look at this for a long time before realising that the mech is facing forward and the knees and feet are 'backwards'! I imagine that's necessary though for stability and balance.

On 2/8/2023 at 12:02 AM, MaximillianRebo said:

I imagine that's necessary though for stability and balance

Ya, spot on. The shoulders, hips and ankles pretty much line up vertically and then the weaponised backpack sits over the backwards knees.

The seed parts for this mech were:

https://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemIn.asp?P=26831&colorID=120&in=A

https://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemIn.asp?P=24124&colorID=120&in=A

https://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemIn.asp?P=87559&colorID=120&in=A

Initially, I played around with regular knees but the model would have turned out too tall and skinny (like Rothgar Deng, which was the last thing I wanted) so I reversed them, much like the AT-ST, and everything flowed on from there.