After a fairly long hiatus designing any new rolling stock it's time to present another one of my Danish State Railways’ (DSB) locomotives redone to 8-wide and digitally rendered.

DSB Litra EA

The Danish State Railways' (DSB) first electric locomotive was built by Henschel & Sohn in Kassel, Germany (the first two) and Scandia, Denmark (the remaining ones).

22 were built in total from 1984 to 1992.

1 was scrapped.

16 were sold to Bulgaria and Romania from 2007 to 2010 and 4 to Bulmarket in Bulgaria in 2021.

The last remaining one (EA 3004) was transferred to The Danish Railway Museum in 2020.

Wiki here and irl photo here.

My model:

DSB 'modern' red & black livery used in the 1980s.

Scale: 1:46
Length: 54 studs from buffer to buffer
Width: 8 studs
Bricks: 1.397 (BuWizz), 1.403 (PU) or 1.401 (PF)
Weight: 996g (without battery box)
Locomotion: 2 x L-motors (BuWizz & PF) or 2 x M-motors (PU)
Power: 1 x BuWizz 2.0 or 1 x AAA PF/PU battery box
Control: BuWizz, PU or SBrick
Designed: 2023

It has the serial number EA 3024 and is named 'O K Kristiansen' :wink:

My 6-wide DSB Litra EA from 2011.

All renders are from Stud.io with custom decals done in the PartDesigner tool.

52652715933_c683ea9205_b.jpg

52655781995_7092cfdd41_b.jpg

52656159210_02cb3e5c5e_b.jpg

52656305313_d0eb9d1eb0_b.jpg

Access through the removable roof to a quite roomy and fairly correct interior showing the different locomotion, power and control options:

52655018497_761b1551eb_b.jpg

2-axled bogie design with MS Train Wheels from Brick Train Depot which are slightly larger (by one plate) than LEGO standard Train Wheels:

52654695227_95d2502624_b.jpg

Update 22.02.2023

The design is done and the model is currently being thoroughly tested :moar:

Edited by dtomsen

With your skills in building locos using bricks and plates and so on, there will be a time, when Maerklin and others simply will go bankrupt :pir-huzzah2:

Absolutely stunning. All these details ... and technology used.

With best regards,
Thorsten

On 2/1/2023 at 12:37 AM, Toastie said:

With your skills in building locos using bricks and plates and so on, there will be a time, when Maerklin and others simply will go bankrupt :pir-huzzah2:

Absolutely stunning. All these details ... and technology used.

With best regards,
Thorsten

Actually the DSB litra EA has only been released as an extremely limited one-off model train in 2009 by a local Danish speciality brand. Never before or since.

The one main advantage of LEGO trains. If we really want a specific model, we can relatively easy build one ourselves whenever we desire :classic:

Edited by dtomsen

Very nice design of the bogies! The motor/battery double choice (PuP/PF) s remarkable and the locomotive has a really smooth and proportioned body.:sweet:

I like the idea of the handbars tightened with rubber bands, I kept some transparent tight ones (used to package toys) and surely is something to be tried!!! :pir-love:

Ciao!

Davide

Edited by Paperinik77pk

On 2/4/2023 at 8:47 AM, Paperinik77pk said:

I like the idea of the handbars tightened with rubber bands, I kept some transparent tight ones (used to package toys) and surely is something to be tried!!! :pir-love:

Thanks but the usage kind of bothered me though and I came up with another much more simple and neat looking solution irl 🙂

52686146338_7986b228f9_b.jpg

The bars are almost flush with the frame so one claw per bar seems sufficient enough too.

Edited by dtomsen

Short video of the first real testing at Togklodsens biannual club meeting:

A bit misleading because...

1) A really hard to spot misalignment in the gearing of one the two motors made the whole locomotive run...not very well at first even though it did run. Basically one L motor was pulling the whole lot with the second motor dragging more than helping.
When finally found and fixed, the combined drivetrain worked really well. As it should.
2) The magnet couplers section fell of periodically. Basically a not robust enough construction irl even though looking mighty fine on paper with four studs holding it together! Back to the drawing board with that one needing major rework.
A classic example of one of the major pitfalls of digital designing :wink:

Everything else was good or even great. The rather compact locomotive is one delightful heavy machine. Pulls really well and surprisingly smooth despite not so great BTD 3d printed MS wheels which would likely be too wobbly on a lighter frame.
As usually molded parts would be much much better.

All in all a typical DSB debut :grin:

Edited by dtomsen

The magnetic coupler sections have been reworked successfully for a long time now and the locomotive has been tested thoroughly without any further issues. A very reliable and smooth running locomotive :classic:

Short video from our recent LTC summer meeting:

Edited by dtomsen