Sign in to follow this  
MCD

Volvo FMX 8x2 Fuel Tanker 1:21 Scale

Hi all,

Please allow me to share images of my most recent build; my 2021 Volvo FMX 8x2 Fuel tanker in 1:21 Scale. Its all Lego (even the pipes and elastic bands) Just a few home printed decals and that's it:

800x450.jpg

For a while now the physical tank has always alluded me - nothing really looks right! This was until recently when I started experimenting with the cargo door panels from the #10283 Shuttle:

800x759.jpg

These actually work really well, mixed with some 4L axles, 1x2 double holed bricks and a mix of plates and tiles the result is a really clean looking tanker. 

800x450.jpg

The truck chassis features twin front steer and linked rear steer via HOG. There is a differential and drive shaft which all turn, but I have opted for a Fake engine built with green system parts to give a more realistic look when viewed through the arches.

800x450.jpg

This truck is an addition to a series of Volvo trucks I have thus far built both old an new and look to be adding more soon.

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

Although this is no a plug - It often gets asked, and yes! I will be doing instructions for this to add to my many others on rebrickable.com. 

Thanks for looking!

Mike

Edited by MCD

3 hours ago, Milan said:

Frontpaged.

Wow! Thankyou.. 😁🙏

Fantastic build! I love when a new part is used perfectly, and the Tank really looks great with those Shuttle panels. Great application, and the side and rear plates close up the gaps really nicely.

Also, I love the two tone mirrors and the simple shaping. Such a simple little part of the build with common parts, but I love the detail. 

This is really really good. I agree with the above comment, from a distance you can hardly tell that’s it’s LEGO! Super smooth looking model.

13 hours ago, GerritvdG said:

Really well done, thanks for sharing!

Thank you, glad you like it :)

13 hours ago, Mechbuilds said:

people just keep making more and more accurate models.. if you look at it from far away, you can't even tell it's lego. 

That means a lot thanks! I have been on a mission to create accurate replicas for a while now, the mix of system and technic for me is a good one.

12 hours ago, suffocation said:

Simply gorgeous!

Thanking you :)

12 hours ago, A_Forest_of_Lego said:

Amazing truck, I really love it!

Super, glad you like - thanks :)

6 hours ago, Thirdwigg said:

Fantastic build! I love when a new part is used perfectly, and the Tank really looks great with those Shuttle panels. Great application, and the side and rear plates close up the gaps really nicely.

Also, I love the two tone mirrors and the simple shaping. Such a simple little part of the build with common parts, but I love the detail. 

Thanks, yes its cool when another part works, but not only works, it does it exceptionally well! I think there are a lot of parts specifically for expert builder sets which have great detail applications elsewhere.

6 hours ago, langko said:

This is really really good. I agree with the above comment, from a distance you can hardly tell that’s it’s LEGO! Super smooth looking model.

I really love the reaction - thanks, my mission is complete if it looks almost real :)

3 hours ago, Jurss said:

That tank - i'm in love with it :)

Works well doesn't it? And the panels are not too hard to come by.

Fantastic! Great idea for tank to use these parts from space shuttle, I have to memorise it :) I have a small problem with first wheels mudguards - they look to be too high, to much space between the wheel and the mudguard, but I assume that's the cost of the technic they are made in - using these technic "chair" pannels?

BTW, I am also having difficulties with making the physical tank for LNG tanker trailer, but in bigger scale and more technic / less system and I thought and tried using the curved quarter gear racks 11x11 studs with lift arms attached to them on soft axles, which makes it 21 or 23 studs diameter (it depends whether you put the lift arms directly between gear racks or on the gear racks as second, outer layer). As for now I have postponed this project, due to many circumstances (one of them is the cost of so many soft axles, experimenting with non-Lego hoses which looks very similar to Lego pneumatic hoses).

You raised the bar once again Mike. This truck is simply beautiful. The tank with all the details and accessories is just perfect, as is the cab.

1 hour ago, Skylark90 said:

Fantastic! Great idea for tank to use these parts from space shuttle, I have to memorise it :) I have a small problem with first wheels mudguards - they look to be too high, to much space between the wheel and the mudguard, but I assume that's the cost of the technic they are made in - using these technic "chair" pannels?

BTW, I am also having difficulties with making the physical tank for LNG tanker trailer, but in bigger scale and more technic / less system and I thought and tried using the curved quarter gear racks 11x11 studs with lift arms attached to them on soft axles, which makes it 21 or 23 studs diameter (it depends whether you put the lift arms directly between gear racks or on the gear racks as second, outer layer). As for now I have postponed this project, due to many circumstances (one of them is the cost of so many soft axles, experimenting with non-Lego hoses which looks very similar to Lego pneumatic hoses).

Great spot! However the gap is intentional! Its an idiosyncrasy with this type of truck - Maybe as cab tilts for engine access?

640x380.jpg

57 minutes ago, karmadrome said:

You raised the bar once again Mike. This truck is simply beautiful. The tank with all the details and accessories is just perfect, as is the cab.

Thanks buddy - just keep learning from the last build each time....

1 hour ago, MCD said:

Great spot! However the gap is intentional! Its an idiosyncrasy with this type of truck - Maybe as cab tilts for engine access?

So it's not a bug, it's a feature! :D It looks even better now :)

Another excellent Volvo model, candy to my eyes :pir-sweet:.

I love how your models combine aesthetic features of the new models with the very old ones.

Keep it up!