Craig Strader

Norfolk and Western M Class 4-8-0 in 1/35th scale

Hello Again. I have a rather iconic piece of railroading equipment for you all today. It is the oldest engine on the Strasburg railroad as well as the only operating 4-8-0 mastodon operating in the United States, it is 475 herself.

She is a rather unique piece of equipment in more ways than one. Built as part of a series of locomotives in 1906 for the Norfolk and Western Railroad, they were the answer for increasing train loads. The 4-8-0 was utilized over the 2-8-2 because of adhesive weight. The M class was a deckless locomotive where the cab was alongside the firebox with the crew literally sandwiched between them. They were at first given Stephenson Valve gear but were later on given Baker valve gear 10 out of 125 ordered was superheated and all were fired by hand. Nicknamed "Mollies", they may have not been the prettiest locomotive created, but at over 40,000 lbs. of tractive effort for something made in 1906. However, when the Norfolk and Western started ordering new Y Class locomotives a decade later, it downgraded the Mollies to branchline work. 475 still runs to this day at Strasburg

About this model:

With my plans to start a company now taken seriously, I decided to build another and this time a smaller locomotive to complement Santa Fe 3463 and the C&O Allegheny. All I have to say was HOLY HELL, it was a bigger challenge than I thought it would be with its "distinct" shape of the boiler. But with a little help of brackets, I was able to complete it. However, it renders part of the boiler to not be as aesthetically pleasing, primarily along the bell area and below it. This model is equipped with Baler valve gear, but I also want to apologize for the lack of complete valve gear, for I had technical issues that saw my last computer's boot device fail, and it is only compounded by PartsDesigner being temporarily disabled at least on my side. Therefore; I am unable to make the new parts required to complete it. I do plan to have that resolved in time)

With that being said, here is the photo gallery:

N%26W%20M%20Class%204-8-0%202.png

N%26W%20M%20Class%204-8-0%202_3.png

N%26W%20M%20Class%204-8-0%202_2.png

N%26W%20M%20Class%204-8-0%202_4.png

N%26W%20M%20Class%204-8-0%205.png

N%26W%20M%20Class%204-8-0%202_6.png

N%26W%20M%20Class%204-8-0%202_7.png

N%26W%20M%20Class%204-8-0%202_8.png

As stated before, these locomotives were deckless. I did try my best to cover every square inch as possible, even the "backhead" to this locomotive. If I offer this as a product, the only thing that will be added aside from crew members will be the Reverse gear and the train brake. The throttle is also present but it is attached to the cab roof.

N%26W%20M%20Class%204-8-0%202_5.png

Nice model! I especially love the cowcatcher and the accurate cab.

Needless to say, this engine better watch out for the business end of any track-hoe's that cross it's path! :tongue:

(Sorry, it had to be said!)

On 1/31/2023 at 11:57 AM, Shiva said:

Nice build.

Looks uncomfortably tight in the crew cab.

Perhaps. But, what it lacks in space, it more than makes up for it in visibility.

On 1/30/2023 at 4:12 PM, Murdoch17 said:

Nice model! I especially love the cowcatcher and the accurate cab.

Needless to say, this engine better watch out for the business end of any track-hoe's that cross it's path! :tongue:

(Sorry, it had to be said!)

We can always refer to this engine as "Scarface"

I got some good news for tonight from where I am sending this. I got PartsDesigner back online and with that, I have completed the valve gear on 475 a while back. Aside from missing a few pins in the event of a later update, it features the baker valve gear that is utilized on 475. It wasn't the way I wanted it to go, however, unlike your typical Walschaerts valve gear, Baker elevates and pivots at the same time which is why it is in this current set-up. I don't plan to change this for now because I put functionality before aesthetics when you compare my take versus what 475 uses.

With that aside, here is the LEFT SIDE with the new BAKER valve gear

N%26W%20M%20Class%204-8-0%209.png